Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Goodwear Kool-Aid

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
mazeta said:
I only own original A-2s (although I'm slowly getting rid of them), and the only repro I would consider owning is one of the Werber 1729 contract with the riveted 'hookless' talon zipper. ELC is the only one that currently makes it; in fact I recently ordered one.

You are going to love it. The Eastman Werber A-2 is my "go to" jacket. I would like to get the Good Wear Werber 1402-P to complement it someday!

Noel

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Well, in answer to the original thread post, I've had some other jackets and they were really beautiful, but they didn't fit quite right. I am going to John because he is such an expert at the various contracts, can advise a good fit, and makes a beautiful and accurate jacket.

On the bonus side, I just started the process and he's absolutely a pleasure to talk to and work with. He is knowledgeable, generous, and enthusiastic about his work. Others have already commented on the differences of a one-man shop. I know I'll have to wait, but I also know I have a much better chance of finding an A-2 that I can happily wear for many years to come.

There is also an added convenience for me in that I live in the same country as John, so shipping samples back and forth and so on is much less of a burden on either of us.

The last point would be that he has gone the extra mile to make a really exceptional web-site that serves as both a great marketing/ordering tool, and a reference in and of itself.

No kool-aid needed. Smart business, great product, super customer service... the stuff dreams are made of in this modern world.

CBI

One Too Many
I have a GW Werber in dark russett HH - AMAZING. I don't have photos yet -busy time. Its looks like I simply reached into a time vortex and pulled out a current issue 1940's Werber!!! Very impressive and a look that simply is not seen with current clothing or duplicated by other current A-2 repro makers. See his website.

kobol

New in Town
I have a 1939 Werber on order with GW with hookless zip. John was great to work with. I did have the benefit of living here in Seattle also, so I was able to pay him a visit and try on several jackets (originals included). He was very helpful. We went over what I was thinking of in terms of fit and style and then after trying on a few jackets came up with the size that fit me best. The best part is that he does genuinely have an excitement about his product and be warned, it does rub off. He was a great resource and very helpful without even the hint of seeming bothered or inconvenienced when asking questions. Definitely first class customer service. I was ready to go with his 1941 Werber contract until he said how about this, a 1939 contract with hookless zip, knowing I was looking for something of Pre-war / early war design not quite so common. As I said very helpful and a great listener.
Now I am just waiting. Last I heard, I'm about a month away from receiving it.

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
WhiskeyTangoFox said:
You are going to love it. The Eastman Werber A-2 is my "go to" jacket. I would like to get the Good Wear Werber 1402-P to complement it someday!

Noel
As of today I have an approximate 8 week wait. I need to distract myself somehow to pass the time!

KhalilSheikh

New in Town
kobol said:
I have a 1939 Werber on order with GW with hookless zip. John was great to work with. I did have the benefit of living here in Seattle also, so I was able to pay him a visit and try on several jackets (originals included). He was very helpful. We went over what I was thinking of in terms of fit and style and then after trying on a few jackets came up with the size that fit me best. The best part is that he does genuinely have an excitement about his product and be warned, it does rub off. He was a great resource and very helpful without even the hint of seeming bothered or inconvenienced when asking questions. Definitely first class customer service. I was ready to go with his 1941 Werber contract until he said how about this, a 1939 contract with hookless zip, knowing I was looking for something of Pre-war / early war design not quite so common. As I said very helpful and a great listener.
Now I am just waiting. Last I heard, I'm about a month away from receiving it.
So John is finally making that contract? I was not aware of that. Last I spoke to him was over a year ago and at that time he was not planning on making one. I'll have to find some other model to buy from him. I don't have a decent civilian-style jacket in brown goat or horse (they're all black), so maybe I still have hope.

kobol

New in Town
I placed my order for the Werber last November. It wasn't on his website, but as I said earlier, we were discussing jackets, and he offered up that particular contract after listening to what I was looking for. It was a hard choice to make. For me, the top 3 contenders were the Doniger, Bronco and Werber. His leather choices are great especially the look of his goat.

I still may have to get a Doniger or Bronco in goat later. Perhaps I could justify it to myself as my small part in stimulating the economy.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

A lot has been written about John Chapman’s jackets both on this thread and the main Goodwear thread.

I want to go on the record and give my tuppence worth on the subject.

Firstly, I acknowledge the considerable knowledge held by many members of the Forum and I speak only from my viewpoint – having been a keen A-2 admirer and purchaser over 25 years.

Not long ago I had the good fortune of acquiring a GW Doniger from one of the members here and it is one of the most accurate looking A-2s I have ever seen or had.

I recently bought JC’s first ever Doniger test jacket on ebay as a friend of mine is keen on having one.

I am well aware of the debate regarding JC’s first jackets but I have absolutely no concerns as to the quality and fit of his jackets so far. I now have two goatskin jackets and therefore it is easier to compare the pre-production with a later full production model. Both are excellent. There is some variation in the collar points but this reflects the variation in the originals. This is what sets John apart from some of the other makers. They produce more generic looking jackets whereas John appears to emulate/reproduce anomolies that existed in original contracts.

I have said this before and I am even more convinced now that there is no such thing as a generic A-2. These jackets were made very quickly in their heyday and I have seen originals of one contract that vary just as much as the repros do (albeit they vary in an original way if this makes sense?)

My latest Doniger is much softer, but not thinner, than my other later repro and in some ways I would say looks slightly more authentic but this would be splitting hairs.

I am in discussion with John about reproducing an original I have and he has already contacted me about it. This, I know, will be a long project but I cannot think of anyone who would do a better job.

Beauty and accuracy is of course in the eye of the beholder but I do not think I ever seen a better repro than Goodwear – authentic fit, details and feel is what I am after and I have not found this in any other repro to date.

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Well, did ya get it, huh, didya, didya, huh, didya? (Looking forward to pics of your Perry GW.)

RudyN

One of the Regulars
Finally, here are a couple of pictures of my Goodwear Perry A2

IMG_0899.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

I know the color looks a bit different, but it is the difference between daylight and flash. The cap is a Diamond Dave Crusher.

Tibor

One of the Regulars
Verry nice. Russet horsehide? Perrys just seem to have a very finished pattern - nice curves to the pocket flaps, nice collar, great proportions. Nice touch adding the name patch. Great choice on the knits too. Perfect match for the leather. Exceptional!

Do you plan to wear it with collar snapped or unsnapped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn