Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Green Machine

This was quite a parade of wonderful green. I only have one green hat, a modern Excellent Stratoliner in sage. I need another.

View attachment 128280

If you’re only going to have one that’s the one to have. Those Excellent Strats are hard to find.

I know Hufvud has a FEPSA felt in moss green and I just placed an order with Phoenix for a dark moss in beaver. I can fully endorse either of them and their prices can’t be beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Cavanagh...

The first photo of me wearing it is closest to the actual color (on my monitor anyway).

ca17c7bb52e347da577c7e11ed963308.jpg

59b7b20e77670258b7d05742e51b62d7.jpg

b3e19e118a91b1aeb4635e4c311a5f33.jpg

91c7d9b1d4558dcd1f600e2329092848.jpg

eeb448ee7808655c3dcb32f19da113da.jpg

8af2fb4118c0990379676195edd0be33.jpg

8be8499bfc510b101bbdfecbdb16ae37.jpg

df35a19509d3624b3c63d6d1232e5b07.jpg

384ab75c836db8398d888290e43faeb6.jpg

53b0c3a8a4c268cea98cbb366d227725.jpg
Ooh Bob:
That’s an old one!!
Very, very nice!!
B

Hey Red:
I think green with brown/copper trim is probably the most attractive and classy combinations off all!! And of course there’s the Strat, all time winner.
I do not have any hat in this combo and i do regret it, dearly. My Mom always said green was the color for a red head. Mom’s right again.
Be well. Bowen
I used to have a redhead girl friend, she wore a lot of green. Purple as well.

Rockwater

A-List Customer
This was quite a parade of wonderful green. I only have one green hat, a modern Excellent Stratoliner in sage. I need another.

View attachment 128280
That’s my dream hat right there, Red.
I suppose I’ll have to settle for a Premier in sage, due to availability.
A 7 or 1/& would be useful to me, in case anyone with a lonely Excellent is listening.
Great hat!

Last edited:
That’s my dream hat right there, Red.
I suppose I’ll have to settle for a Premier in sage, due to availability.
A 7 or 1/& would be useful to me, in case anyone with a lonely Excellent is listening.
Great hat!
I don't know what happened to the "Excellent" designation. I wonder if the new "Premier" is the replacement. I know the felt on this modern is softer and nicer than my others. Of course, @moontheloon picked through a pile of hats to find this one. I'm glad to have it, Ant crease and all.

I don't know what happened to the "Excellent" designation. I wonder if the new "Premier" is the replacement. I know the felt on this modern is softer and nicer than my others. Of course, @moontheloon picked through a pile of hats to find this one. I'm glad to have it, Ant crease and all.

Excellent, Royal Deluxe, and Royal were/ are the felt quality designations. Premiers were always Royal Deluxes. I haven't looked at the 2019 catalogue, but I believe they were offering an Excellent Temple (precreased) last year, maybe one other.

I picked up my Excellent Strat (Caribou) from the Garland Outlet on a tip from Bob Roberts. I think the Outlet is a good source for discontinued items.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Stetson still offers hats with the Excellent designation as well as the Premier designation; however, the Stratoliner has not been offered in the Excellent grade for a few years. Other Hats in the Excellent grade are beaver and I assumed that the Stratoliners were too, but I don’t know that for certain. My Excellent New York LE hats have “Pure Beaver” stamped on the sweat...does your Excellent Stratoliner have similar markings?

Stetson still offers hats with the Excellent designation as well as the Premier designation; however, the Stratoliner has not been offered in the Excellent grade for a few years. Other Hats in the Excellent grade are beaver and I assumed that the Stratoliners were too, but I don’t know that for certain. My Excellent New York LE hats have “Pure Beaver” stamped on the sweat...does your Excellent Stratoliner have similar markings?

My Strat does not have the beaver designation. In fact, the only place it even says "Stratoliner" is on the paper tag.

Premier has never been a felt quality designation. More of a model designation, apparently for open crown hats. Premiers are Royal Deluxe quality.

My Strat does not have the beaver designation. In fact, the only place it even says "Stratoliner" is on the paper tag.

Premier has never been a felt quality designation. More of a model designation, apparently for open crown hats. Premiers are Royal Deluxe quality.

Interesting that they don’t have the “beaver” labeling. I would think that if it were beaver Stetson wouldn’t keep it a secret.

I realize that the felt quality is “Royal DeLuxe” but since in that grade the only Stratoliner currently offered is the Premier I use the two terms interchangeably. If the Excellent Stratoliner isn’t a beaver hat maybe I should be content with the Royal DeLuxe/Premier.

Interesting that they don’t have the “beaver” labeling. I would think that if it were beaver Stetson wouldn’t keep it a secret.

I realize that the felt quality is “Royal DeLuxe” but since in that grade the only Stratoliner currently offered is the Premier I use the two terms interchangeably. If the Excellent Stratoliner isn’t a beaver hat maybe I should be content with the Royal DeLuxe/Premier.

The "Excellent" are beaver. Stetson is just inconsistent with putting it on the sweat. The liners have never indicated anything but "Excellent". I have some and not all have beaver labeling on the sweat, BUT, ALL are beaver and such was indicated on the inside label, their box, or the catalog or flyer. I have two (Stetson Benchmarks) labeled as Excellent Royal Beaver on their boxes. I suppose this differentiates the thinner felt on these (my other beaver are thicker felt like Royal Deluxe, the Benchmarks are thinner like the Royal) ALL Benchmarks are beaver, and you can sure tell.:)
M;)

The "Excellent" are beaver. Stetson is just inconsistent with putting it on the sweat. The liners have never indicated anything but "Excellent". I have some and not all have beaver labeling on the sweat, BUT, ALL are beaver and such was indicated on the inside label, their box, or the catalog or flyer. I have two (Stetson Benchmarks) labeled as Excellent Royal Beaver on their boxes. I suppose this differentiates the thinner felt on these (my other beaver are thicker felt like Royal Deluxe, the Benchmarks are thinner like the Royal) ALL Benchmarks are beaver, and you can sure tell.:)
M;)

Ah, that makes sense. I’m looking at the Stetson catalog and there is no mention of them being all beaver. I know Stetson usually refuses to tell fur types and percentages, but if it’s 100% beaver you would think they would shout that from the rooftops.

Prior to seeing your NYLE, and it's sweat detail, the only modern Stetson advertised as 100% Beaver, was the Pinnacle. If you can, read over the thread "Stetson Excellent Quality Thin Ribbon," or at least that's what I think it's called. It chronicles the introduction of the Excellent Strat and contains reviews and discussion on it. Interesting thread.

Whether Excellent = Beaver I have no idea.

Prior to seeing your NYLE, and it's sweat detail, the only modern Stetson advertised as 100% Beaver, was the Pinnacle. If you can, read over the thread "Stetson Excellent Quality Thin Ribbon," or at least that's what I think it's called. It chronicles the introduction of the Excellent Strat and contains reviews and discussion on it. Interesting thread.

Whether Excellent = Beaver I have no idea.

Thank you. I’ll give it a read. At outlet pricing a beaver Stetson can be a good deal, but at MSRP they are doubtful value compared to a custom.

Now I want you to tell me what the “X” count on the hats means. ;)

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
E0F8D5A3-7D52-4434-B8FA-8690093488DD.jpeg
EF78715B-B5DE-4798-9B8A-F124D8033D12.jpeg
33334CAD-3C48-41B1-A635-9926C84B8760.jpeg
5A372CB1-BAB9-4FB9-A3FD-C362933E368C.jpeg
990D3533-0871-44AE-A3ED-EFE448EFAA21.jpeg
Greetings All:
After thread review i realized i had not contributed to the Green thing. Thought i had.
Green’s never been a color i loved since the long ago days in “The Green Weenie”. Got OD’d on OD I guess.
Notwithstanding, here’s an old oddball backbow Borsalino in Cromo. Sounds better than green. Ha
Interesting 3 stitch overwelt me thinks.
Be well. Bowen

View attachment 128447 View attachment 128448 View attachment 128449 View attachment 128451 View attachment 128452 Greetings All:
After thread review i realized i had not contributed to the Green thing. Thought i had.
Green’s never been a color i loved since the long ago days in “The Green Weenie”. Got OD’d on OD I guess.
Notwithstanding, here’s an old oddball backbow Borsalino in Cromo. Sounds better than green. Ha
Interesting 3 stitch overwelt me thinks.
Be well. Bowen
REALLY nice one there!!!! Love the three stitch over-welt and back-bow!!! Unusual combo...
M;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points