Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Green Machine

Rockwater

A-List Customer
The "Excellent" are beaver. Stetson is just inconsistent with putting it on the sweat. The liners have never indicated anything but "Excellent". I have some and not all have beaver labeling on the sweat, BUT, ALL are beaver and such was indicated on the inside label, their box, or the catalog or flyer. I have two (Stetson Benchmarks) labeled as Excellent Royal Beaver on their boxes. I suppose this differentiates the thinner felt on these (my other beaver are thicker felt like Royal Deluxe, the Benchmarks are thinner like the Royal) ALL Benchmarks are beaver, and you can sure tell.:)
M;)

So, all this leads me to, I hope, a simple question. Is the felt thinner on a modern with an Excellent marking, or as thick as a Premier?

ofcoursemyhorse

Practically Family
Fifteen1.jpg
fifteen2.jpg
fifteen3.jpg

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
All the time, I see 1920s fedoras in an almost St Patrick's Day green in adverts from the era. But I personally have never seen one that color in real life. Has anybody seen a dark green hat from the 1920s? (I HAVE seen some from the '40s-'50s but not yet the '20s)
t0hwBhE.jpg
Screenshot_2019-02-23-20-13-02.png

Last edited:

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're only asking by a decade and many of these styles are around during the 20's. Review the green machine thread there might still be some working links in there. Pretty sure there's some green to be found in the pre-1940s threads as well. Have a look - they're out there.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
Anybody ever see a dark green hat from the 1920s or Teens? Like, DAAAARK emerald green, not brown-green or grey-green? I've only ever seen newer ones that color, but I'd like to know for certain.

Garrett, That is a great 1920s example and a rare find. The Austrians and Germans had very vibrant colors. The problem is hardly any hats survived especially going back to the 1920s or earlier. Yours is an American market A.P. and I have only seen a couple old A.P. after looking (for a very long time) in mostly Germany, Austria and Czech Republic.

This JHS "Prima" Velour is from the 1930s and a Trachten style but it shows the fantastic green color they were able to achieve (of course combined with a zenith Velour finish).

29921862675_db7b260593_b.jpg

29921865135_28a69cd9b5_b.jpg

29886859586_9226319d20_b.jpg

Just another Akubra Campdraft in Bluegrass Green...

6MXgayl.jpg

...except the brim on mine is 2-3/4" (69.85 mm) all the way around--a bit short of the stated 2-7/8" (73 mm) as advertised. And, so far, it's the only Akubra I've seen with an orange liner:

E63fe6K.jpg

Simple production variations? A custom order that somehow went unsold or was returned, and eventually ended up in my hands? Whatever the reason(s) for these minor anomalies, I like it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ