Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"The Grizzly"

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Nope, just another tradename. Lots of good ones back then. Here's an ad from 1931 with "American Wombat" which explains what it is. Also has the trade name "Lawropelt" for sheepskin.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
You don't think that collar is actual wombat fur? It is lower-case after all.
Electrified wombat is just such a great phrase. Like something out of a
Captain Beefheart song.

You are right about that. Just like the Hodaka Combat Wombat! Was there ever a cooler name for a motorcycle?

AdeeC

Practically Family
Thanks for showing. I think the Aero Grizzly is the best of the current copies. The Himel grizzly is not bad either. The others incarnations I don't like much. These are polarizing jackets and while some look gorgeous, others look bad. For best effect IMO the front panels should be short, the shoulder yokes be fully exposed and the jacket should have a "V" profile. Those with high shoulder panels give a boxy look and some give the illusion of wearing tank brick armour. Some of Japanese versions are too long. The Alexander and Lost Worlds are too boxy. Mine is the same colours as yours but has mouton panels and collar. I prefer mouton rather than hair but yours looks good. How do you find the fit on yours? Mine is snug at the waist and roomy in the chest. Yours looks like a similar fit. I find it quite comfortable and balanced to wear. Rather than buckling up I prefer to fold the belt back into the loops.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab

Jus' sayin', like...
I think the AL version is rancid. I really like the grizzly, unsure if I would have the balls to wear one. I could wear the horse hair number on my bike, and have seriously considered a couple, but the AL version looks too extreme even for a croc wearer like me.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think these things have to be understated to really work. Even now, I'm still laughing at my little joke there...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
It just looks "off". I think you have articulated it beautifully Sloan....I really dig the ones with hair panels. The LW one looks very sharp, as does the Aero Palomino horse number. I need to build up a few more classic staples before I start going left field and fruity...

devilish

A-List Customer
It's mostly the collar on that AL. They should stay leather. The mouton is too long as well but would flatten down after a good rainstorm. That collar though, oof, fugly!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's mostly the collar on that AL. They should stay leather. The mouton is too long as well but would flatten down after a good rainstorm. That collar though, oof, fugly!

That style of laskinlamb jacket never came with leather collars originally, always mouton.

AdeeC

Practically Family
This one from the Aero website is the look I like. A nice balance between fur and leather and not too hardcore looking.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner