Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The History Channel

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
You are absolutely right Twitch! Everyone should go read up on the subject, and take everything they see on the History Channel as potential fabrication, or at least as agenda history. I imagine that if you are a left-leaning sort of person, and hostile to religion, their programming may in fact "spark your imagination" - or at least reinforce your belief structure. For the rest of us, it falls somewhat short.

As an aside, the Dogfights show is excellent. It's an hour long, and they don't mention the Gnostic Gospels, or the DaVinci Code, even once. A+ :eusa_clap

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Prien, I've never seen that U-47 was found either and exact position is unknown. The Type VIIB launched 10/29/38 was depthcharged by RN corvettes Arbutus & Camiellia off Rockall 3/7/41. All I can think is that the medals were from crewmembers not on that last of her 10 patrols. [huh]

U-534 was raised in 1993 and of course a lot of historical material was recovered. She was depthcharged by RAF aircraft near Kattegat 5/5/45

U-538 sent a belated message of her fate in 1979 when a Copenhagen mailman found a container from the sub while on holiday on a Danish island. It said 5 men were still alive after an attack by RAF planes on 11/11/41. The official record states she was lost by collision 11/15/41 in the Baltic amended later to say she was sunk by RN frigate Foley and sloop Crane but the Captain's note obviously states a different fate.

The sea holds her mysteries.

deanglen

The Hysterical Channel: Cable's version of coffee table books. And I agree with Joel, the agenda surfaces with regularity. "Dogfights" is a pleasant anomaly.

dean

Twitch

We all have that very powerful remote control to decide what we watch don't we? Carping about something I don't watch would be me complaining about the many shopping channels as shallow and lacking the ability to handle the merchandise.

If you don't particularly like a channel don't watch it.;)

Hondo

One Too Many
Come to think of it, on History Channel there was a map study, of a battle (I forget which battle placement) in WWII of troop advancement of American, British and German Armies, instead of a swastika for Nazi Germany forces,
They have that “black” cross you see on German planes, tanks. I thought it odd they didn’t use a swastika to show German advancement or withdrawal, I mean censorship of word “Nazis” as in swastika, what gives? [huh] I hope I'm making some sense here.

deanglen

Twitch said:
We all have that very powerful remote control to decide what we watch don't we? Carping about something I don't watch would be me complaining about the many shopping channels as shallow and lacking the ability to handle the merchandise.

If you don't particularly like a channel don't watch it.;)

And I usually don't, :) unless it's "Dogfight". I used to, but my present opinion was arrived at over time, after rather heaving viewing of it. Watching it now would be only for specfic programs.

dean

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
And I usually don't, :) unless it's "Dogfight". I used to, but my present opinion was arrived at over time, after rather heaving viewing of it. Watching it now would be only for specfic programs.

dean
Yeah, like anything on television it's best in small doses, and only the most interesting or informative titles.
Especially since Time/Warner took over everyone's cable here, and did away with most of the really good programming. :mad:

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Twitch,

I read in "HX 72: The First Convoy to Die" that the records were rechecked in 1991 (they also state this on uboat.net: http://uboat.net/boats/u47.htm) that the Wolverine attacked the U-A which survived the attack.

They may have thought that the Camellia and Arbutus attacked the U-47, but the last message from U-47 went out on 04:54 on the 7th. (I read this in some book, but unfortunately can't remember which one.)

U-47 was commissioned in 17.Dec.1938.

So...as you've said, the sea does hold her mysteries.

Prien

Twitch

Hondo- it's part of the assinine political correctness no doubt. How can you relate anything concerning WW 2 history without using the word nazi? Sure Germany still outlaws the use of the swastika symbol in Germany but come on now. If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable:eek:

Undertow

deanglen said:
The Hysterical Channel: Cable's version of coffee table books.

I like this analogy! Very true. And I agree that sometimes, this is what's best for the viewers. Sometimes you want to hear about subject and decided if you're interested rather than be overwhelmed with an in-depth, technical evaluation of something you don't even recognize.

So does anyone know where I can find the transcripts of that Hitler show? Or does anyone actually remember what Hitler was talking about? Unfortunately, I missed this episode.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
lol
So true! But actually, only the parts of WWII that were glorious victories for the good old U S of A ever happened! All those other little sideshows, like Great Britain being all alone against Germany for almost 2 years (except for the Battle of Britain) and that little sideshow known as the Russian Front, and the millions of people who died in that tiny little war between Japan and China, none of that unimportant minor stuff ever happened!
It was mainly Guadalcanal and Midway, Normandy, and Iwo Jima and Okinawa, and that's really about all.

Keep in mind that the History Channel is a United States based channel (I'm not sure that it's broadcast outside of the U.S.). So, of course, it will be slanted toward a United States interest. Seems only natural to me.

- Ian

Chas

One Too Many
"History Television" in Canada is ridiculous. Laughably so, until it starts to annoy, which doesn't take long.

I call it the "Superstitious B.S. Channel" as it runs the Nastrodamus crap almost constantly. That stuff is pretty inane and bound to insult your intelligence at some point.

HT also features a lot of Mel Gibson "historical epics".... 'nuff said.

About the only thing worth bothering with is For King And Empire which is pretty well done.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
The History Channel in the US does the same. I was watching it for a bit, first was a show about snipers, but the next program dealt with aliens...not very fitting for a channel that is supposed to be about historical things - and not aliens breeding with humans.

For that reason I don't watch it - I don't own a TV besides. I'd rather find a good documentary on DVD.

Leamas

New in Town
Story said:
Care to bet how soon this'll be on?

Adolf Hitler wanted to steal the Turin Shroud during World War II, an Italian monk has claimed.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...in-Shroud-thwarted-Vatican.html#ixzz0kR24mmnp

And they would have gotten it, too, like the Ark of the Covenant, had it not been for this man...the true hero of WW II
indianajones403.jpg

filfoster

One Too Many
Agenda TV

deanglen said:

dean

My disappointment is only that this cultural phenomenon-'agenda message' program content- has crept so far into what is ostensibly 'history'. Yes historians are people too, and have biases but some of this HC programming is so obviously driven by current 'pc' and politics that it's simultaneously off-putting and entertaining for unintended reasons. On the other hand, there isn't much alternative on the cable menu for 'history' stuff, so we just have to watch and sift it out.
Yes, ditto on Dogfight. I also liked the Snows' "Battlefield Britain".

filfoster

One Too Many
Hitler's Historical Mysticism

Leamas said:
And they would have gotten it, too, like the Ark of the Covenant, had it not been for this man...the true hero of WW II
indianajones403.jpg

I think it was the other big Nazi crank Himmler that swallowed all this stuff. Hitler was everything else evil except as big a sucker for the occult as Himmler. I am glad he only got his hands on the Holy Beer Schooner instead of the Grail.

p51

One Too Many
History Channel is becoming a lot like many of the other specialized cable networks. There appears to be a homogenizing of these networks who previously had a tight focus. And the overall focus shifts from time to time. Ever watch HC in the mornings or afternoons? They often show all the classic shows that I grew to enjoy in the past.
I'm jsut glad I got to do my bit by being on Mail Call while it was still on the air.
Twitch said:
U-538 sent a belated message of her fate in 1979 when a Copenhagen mailman found a container from the sub while on holiday on a Danish island. It said 5 men were still alive after an attack by RAF planes on 11/11/41.
How’d you find the data on that? I recall hearing about this on the news as a kid about the guy finding the note from the crew and thinking how creepy that would be finding something like that. I searched online but couldn’t find anything that talks about it.

Bingles

A-List Customer
Being certified to teach Social Studies and an all around history nerd, I do enjoy watching History channel from time to time. I LOVE the show "American Pickers"... it's so cool to see what stuff those two guys will find.

As for the actual documentations the station airs... some are quite good while others don't even try to hide their biases. Some of the shows stretch information too much to make it fit the headline they used to grab viewers attention, and try to pass it off as the mainstream consensus from the academic world. That irks me, but I have to remember it's a station out to make money... and they do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner