Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hollywood Waist-

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My sweetheart Tom and I are going on holiday in early May to Long Beach and then to Catalina Island on 5/11 for the Art Deco Society of Los Angeles' Avalon Ball. I was going through my own vintage togs looking for what I might bring along for the trip. Thought it would be nice to look for something vintage or vintage-inspired for Tom for this trip, as his birthday is in mid-May.

I decided to pull out a few of Tom's hawaiian/tropical printed cotton and rayon shirts. Talked with Marc C. a bit regarding 40s high waisted pants possibilities. He gave me some great information, and I snagged a vintage-inspired RL linen pair on the evilBay. Decided to also drop over to my favourite vintage dealers, Roberto and Jula Isola of City Vintage in South San Francisco and see what they might have.

Ended finding Tom a terrific sage green pair of gabardine hollywood waist pants, the colour perfectly matches a green in the print of one of the shirts, a cotton. I bought them and took them home, not quite sure how T. would react to the colour. He took one look at them matched up with the shirt, and said he loved it! These look like a million bucks on, the style and drape is very elegant. The label says "Society Brand Sportswear".

I asked Roberto what other colour would pair well with the sage green, knowing that colour combinations were different back in the day than what we currently see. He said brown. Tom has another rayon tropical print shirt that is a tone on tone brown, it looks fantastic with these trousers.

There was a second pair in the same style, same size in a really unique midnight blue/black fabric with a fancy weave. These will pair well with another of his print shirts, a rayon version. The weave of the pants and the colour will be especially nice to wear out in the evening. Going back to pick these up as well.

Pictures to follow...

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Mr. Badger. He is:) I have to let these out just a tiny bit at the back of the waist for him, I hate to remove some of the beautiful handstitching on the inside waistband to do it!

Other than his two vintage tuxedos bought last Fall, this is his only other vintage piece of clothing. He is fortunate in that he has the body type, maturity, and self confidence to really pull off the vintage look.

Wow! That's a SWEET pair of pants! Lucky fella! :D

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
my Bf Tom in his vintage sage green Hollywood waist trousers, an early birthday present from me. The tropical print cotton shirt he's had for many years. Worn today for lunch out with his Mother as we helped her celebrate her 84th birthday.

Last edited:

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
My bf Tom practicing at his 1942 piano in his 1941 house. Wearing his new-to-him vintage midnight blue Hollywood waist trousers, that were an early bday gift from me in time for our upcoming trip to Catalina Island for the Avalon Ball:

IMG_1151.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Way cool strides! Now I really want a pair in sage green!

I've got three nice pairs of Hollywood waist trousers made by my tailor in what I've nicknamed the Louis Jordan style -
high Hollywood waist with lowered half-inch belt loops for a whip belt, 25-inch knees tapered down to 18-inch bottoms
and two flap pockets on the back. Deep pleats in front, side pockets on the seams. One pair in tan wool gab, another
in deep teal gab, and the last a heavy winter weight ivory wool with grey/black flecks running through it. I ought to get off my
lazy backside and have the boss (Mrs) take some photos!

I still wnat sage green ones though! Tom's lookin' mighty groovy!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
YES, YES Benny H, you MUST post photos! Now you've got me thinking about having a tailor custom make for Tom and my teenage son too...

I've got three nice pairs of Hollywood waist trousers made by my tailor in what I've nicknamed the Louis Jordan style -
high Hollywood waist with lowered half-inch belt loops for a whip belt, 25-inch knees tapered down to 18-inch bottoms
and two flap pockets on the back. Deep pleats in front, side pockets on the seams. One pair in tan wool gab, another
in deep teal gab, and the last a heavy winter weight ivory wool with grey/black flecks running through it. I ought to get off my
lazy backside and have the boss (Mrs) take some photos!

I still wnat sage green ones though! Tom's lookin' mighty groovy!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
And my vintage dealer Roberto has one pair of Hollywood waist trousers in a 29-30" waist that may just fit my teenage son... a blue material with a red flecking woven in it

After him being so jazzed with his vintage tails, and then him seeing my bf Tom's two pairs of Hollywood waist trousers, my son Daniel wants a pair too!

DamianM

Vendor
El pachuco makes some pretty good slacks with a deep hollywood waist.
But im not a fan of some fabrics they might use.
I had a pair I sold to Resortes in a nice white pinstriped flannel.

El pachuco makes some pretty good slacks with a deep hollywood waist.
But im not a fan of some fabrics they might use.
I had a pair I sold to Resortes in a nice white pinstriped flannel.

I also have these that aren't from El Pachuco. They are high waisted with a long zipper but they are not Hollywood waist or drop loop belted; picked them up at a thrift store. Where do you get your trousers at? If you don't mind me asking. :)

311145_4916572079275_1073929730_n_zps6549e4c0.jpg

DamianM

Vendor
I also have these that aren't from El Pachuco. They are high waisted with a long zipper but they are not Hollywood waist or drop loop belted; picked them up at a thrift store. Where do you get your trousers at? If you don't mind me asking. :)

311145_4916572079275_1073929730_n_zps6549e4c0.jpg

i get them anywhere i find them. Like at thrifts like you.
Are those slacks original vintage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana