Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hollywood Waist-

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Guys- what's the most common waist style on your '30s to 1940 vintage trousers? I really mean pre-'40
Band or no?
Any opinions on when the HW waist came and/or went?
I realise it was a 'style' feature AND one way of constructing a pair of pants.
British Army '37 pattern and later pants for instance were band-less but that wasn't about style- that was just the way they were made...
I know that the 'Hollywood Waist' with the high waist, no waistband, any number of pleats and dropped loops was a '40s 'style' but what's the story with your average '30-'40 pants.

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about- your average pair of pants has a waistband. The stylish pants that are commonly referred to as Hollywood Waist or Drop Loop pants- have no waistband- are high rise-
the pleats and darts and any other types of gathering which give shape to the waist and rear, go right to the top of the pants. The side seams can also be contoured in to form the 'waist'.)

Anyway- waistband? Pleats?

BT.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
a2_1_b.jpg
2f_1_b.jpg

...this is what I think of as a 'classic' Hollywood Waist treatment-
-no waistband and the wasit finishes pretty high- the pants are very contoured- in at the waist, out and then a little taper-or no taper-
belt loops are positioned low.
This is a later style- post-war/'50s and later-

All I'm asking for is- what is the waist like on typical 1930-'40 trousers-
I'm guessing that a wasitband is standard and the 'no waistband/HW' is a fashion/styling thing in that era and beyond.

???

BT.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
"And that makes Ricky a citizen of the world..."

From those pictures I'd say I'd better swear off the sauce if I want to wear such pants. I'd look pretty wedge shaped in them with Sam Adams riding round my midrift these days. Or like the rich uncle in "Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House." Decidedly not chick-magnety.
"That Scott - wedgey waist - so hawt."

Not.

But I want pants like that all the same.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I have a suit from around the 1940's. There's isn't an exact date, but I found a Mercury dime minted in 1944 in the pocket of it, which I assume was left in by the last owner and was never removed until I bought it. Anyways, the waist is just at my navel. It just has belt loops at the top, brace buttons inside, and the slit pockets on the side start just under the waist band.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Almost ALL of my slacks have lowered belt loops, and the ones with the longest rises are the ones I'd consider "Hollywood Waists". The ones that came with suits, (and are dated) range from the mid 40's to the late 50's.I even have a pair that are dated 1959, so it would seem that style was perdominately 50's. But of course we can't forget the Zoot Suit from the early 40's.
The few pairs of 30's slacks that I have, DO have regular wasitbands, but still a long-ish rise.
flat-top

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Good info-
-thanks.

That's what I'm getting at- where there many '30-'40 pants with high waist and no band- that's it exactly-
European clothes weren't dated, as US clothing often was, so it's a good measure that I can't easily see from Europe.

BT.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The Pants

I'm a little surprised that a source for these pants is not readily available. Patterns seem scarce as hen's teeth, and I'm too tall for vintage. Surely someone is making them?

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
Looky Looky

Gents,
Most of us adore the "look" of the HollyWood waist. I was too, and I as a vintage clothing collector no longer wished to wear my originals, plus I'm in my 30's and what I purchased in the 80's and 90's doesn't fit! I employed a small factory of 10 workers, and had 40 pairs of pants, etc. immaculately reproduced from my originals. My originals are from 1936, 1940, and 1946. The 1946 version has our HollyWood Waist. I have given away 30 pairs to friends, and kept 10 for my self. However I am placing another order in August, including suits, and tuxedos. All from Original Vintage Golden Era patterns. Basically they take apart my originals, pattern them, then reproduce them. To the stitch they are completely accurate. If you like putting your shoes on first, then your trousers, these are the ones for you! he he he And the zippers are LONG too! Exactly to scale and as they should be!
I will send pics to anyone interested "repro vs original". A few persons here [on the forum] know of these, and wear them. Email me for details, and on the subject line referr to the Fedora Lounge. I have never offered these for sale, I've only given them away. So if the Fedora Lounge admin wants a hands on sample just let me know.

Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Also explains the ties

BellyTank said:
If that was directed at me rather than your pic's- you can see in the 2 images I posted- High-waisted, just on or above the navel I'd say, drop loops-
you'd wear a very skinny belt.

BT.

That explains why my 40's ties are too short to wear - they didn't need to come down to what is the waistline in modern trousers. Probably just to the navel.
I am most anxious to see the possible reporduction trousers ShanghaiJack is speaking of.

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
HollyWood Waist Trousers

Gents,
1. BellyTank, damn fine avtar!
2. Pics will be posted Saturday Night, if I can figure out how.....
3. Pics will be emailed to those interested parties if the above mentioned posting issues arent overcome.
4. Thank You

Tails UP
ShanghaiJck

Wild Root

Gone Home
YEAH BOY!

Ok, get this and get it straight... I wear 100% vintage only, but, if you say you make them from originals and you say they are right, well, I just might like to try some out! Do you do button fly as well? And are the zippers metal?

I have wanted a nice pair of late 30's styled cream or ivory gabs for summer. Like these....

Root.

image30091od.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
BT, most of the pants I have and seen from the 30's have a 2" to 3" waist band. But, I have seen some Hollywood waisted pants from the late 30's before. That style really took off in the 40's! It was a very Hollywood style that came from the early 40's. It really took off after the war and went in to the 50's. I have a pair of pants that are dated 1957 but, they look and feel like an early 40's pair of pants. So, sometimes a guy would just have the same style made even into the 60's if it was something he liked.

I have a few nice pairs of Hollywood waisted pants and they are very high waisted! I have one pair of ivory linen pants dated 1938 that are plane front with no pleats. Those things are high waisted! They also have a 24" hem on the pants! Very wide legged and just so classy.

I also have a pair of Hollywoods that are dated 1946 and they are just too cool for words.

I like this look a lot and wear it when I go dancing and when I feel fat. These pants tend to have more room in the legs and butt when I have eaten to much :p

Got to love the post war full cut man!

Root.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thank You

ShanghaiJack said:
Gents,
1. BellyTank, damn fine avtar!
2. Pics will be posted Saturday Night, if I can figure out how.....
3. Pics will be emailed to those interested parties if the above mentioned posting issues arent overcome.
4. Thank You

Tails UP
ShanghaiJck

Great news, thanks.

Signed,
More Interested than BT
:)

ShanghaiJack

One of the Regulars
HollyWood Waist Pants Pics !!!!

Gents,
Thank you for your interest and patience. Here are a few pics, as promised.
The Originals are the plaid rust coloured pants. The 3 Repro examples are speckled brown/creme, Grey, and Blue. The 3 nekcties are all vintage. The Orange tie late '40s, maker tab missing. Silver tie with brown/green diamonds 30's vintage "Burma Skipper", and the Violet tie with red circles is late 40's vintage, label missing. All 3 ties are Rayon.
And the hat, Late 40's early 50's Portis, Genuine Fur Felt.

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
my.php
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks again, and let me know what you think.

Tails Up!
ShanghaiJack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner