Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Hunt for the Least Restrictive Leather Jacket

Edward

Bartender
I'd tend to go Vanson over Schott because I think - at least here in the UK - they provide a better bang-for-buck, price considered.

Monte

A-List Customer
Hey guys. I currently have both a custom Aero Half-belt and a Lost Worlds Suburban, both heavy FQHH. Due to the feeling that the jackets, especially the Aero, are restricting me, I never wear them. Simply driving in the Aero can be a chore. I’m looking to sell the Suburban . As a result, I’ve been on the hunt for a jacket with a lighter hide and a pattern that encourages rather than restricts movement.

After much research on this forum, it seems that Vanson has the type of practical pattern that I’m looking for; one that would allow me to move my arms without the whole jacket standing to attention or fighting me. They also have a stellar reputation. I’ve been in touch with Vanson and they are currently working on rolling out some lighter weight leathers in the 3oz range that are waxy with lots of character. I’m considering the much beloved Enfield.

Another point of consideration is that Bruce Dyer, of the late Walter Dyer, is still selling leftover product and offering to make jackets. There was an old motorcycle jacket style that he offered to make with two chest pockets, wind flap, and shoulder
gussets. The current leather that they offer is between 3-3 1/2 oz, not the old battle weight hide. This style...

View attachment 403671

View attachment 403672

All that to say this. I know that Vanson is famed for their practical patterns that encourage motion. How are Walter Dyer jackets in the range of motion category?

Most importantly, what are your favorite, least restrictive-feeling leather jackets?

Thanks!
Howdy. My Guess jacket is pretty darn nice for $35, $40. Thrift find.
Hey guys. I currently have both a custom Aero Half-belt and a Lost Worlds Suburban, both heavy FQHH. Due to the feeling that the jackets, especially the Aero, are restricting me, I never wear them. Simply driving in the Aero can be a chore. I’m looking to sell the Suburban . As a result, I’ve been on the hunt for a jacket with a lighter hide and a pattern that encourages rather than restricts movement.

After much research on this forum, it seems that Vanson has the type of practical pattern that I’m looking for; one that would allow me to move my arms without the whole jacket standing to attention or fighting me. They also have a stellar reputation. I’ve been in touch with Vanson and they are currently working on rolling out some lighter weight leathers in the 3oz range that are waxy with lots of character. I’m considering the much beloved Enfield.

Another point of consideration is that Bruce Dyer, of the late Walter Dyer, is still selling leftover product and offering to make jackets. There was an old motorcycle jacket style that he offered to make with two chest pockets, wind flap, and shoulder
gussets. The current leather that they offer is between 3-3 1/2 oz, not the old battle weight hide. This style...

View attachment 403671

View attachment 403672

All that to say this. I know that Vanson is famed for their practical patterns that encourage motion. How are Walter Dyer jackets in the range of motion category?

Most importantly, what are your favorite, least restrictive-feeling leather jackets?

Thanks!
Howdy. My thrift find Guess is a shockingly nice, durable jacket. Looks similar to images in the post I chose to reply to.

Attachments

• 20220305_225303.jpg
    20220305_225303.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 87

Monte

A-List Customer
I've own plenty of clothes. Work wear included, this jacket is well built. I've gotten lucky a few times shopping used.

Attachments

• 20220305_225448.jpg
    20220305_225448.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 88

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk