Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Job Interview- how vintage can you go?

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Hi ladies- after a couple years of being a stay-at-home mom, I've decided to get back into the workforce.

I've got a big interview coming up to be the Exec. Director for a museum and am wondering how I should dress. Should I stick with the modern suit & pumps or maybe try a vintage suit? I think anything less formal is not appropriate, but my question is would I appear a little kooky in vintage (not that there's anything wrong with that usually :rolleyes: ) to a Board of Directors?

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have a couple of 'lucky' 1940s suits that I always wear to interviews. It's very hard to distinguish between a vintage suit and a modern one if you don't know what you looking for, though I once had someone ask me if my suit was vintage (another applicant who was also a collector.) The suits that I wear are very tailored, in neutral tones, and look very professional. I wear seamless stockings, closed toe vintage pumps, and generally wear my hair a la Betty Grable, in neat updo. I keep my makeup simple and appropriate for day, though I do still wear red lipstick as that's just who I am. I have actually been offered a job every time I have been dressed this way, so I would say that vintage suits are just fine for interviews. ;)

Good luck—I am sure you will do fine!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
When in doubt, don't.

I recently interviewed four ladies for a word processor position. I did not exclude any of them from consideration based on their attire, even though some were a little casual. But that is far from an executive director position.

I also see many young women who apply for accounting positions. They all wear androgenous black pantsuits. Given that that seems to be the uniform, I wouldn't deviate too far from that if I were applying for an accounting position.

I'd see how the board dresses and follow their lead. I definitely would not wear anything even a little kooky or costume-like. A classic vintage suit might fit the bill. Hat, gloves and a period hairdo won't.

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
I've got an "interview costume" -- plain suit with pants, black high-heeled boots, neutral make up and manicure, and flat-ironed hair.

I'll tailor the look depending on the place, short red "corporate hipster" nails for advertising, but I don't think I'd deviate much from the uniform unless I were applying someplace very avant-garde. I'm a fashion coward at interviews.

Small things do make a difference. At one place I interviewed for two identical jobs on two different accounts. I wore the same clothes, same makeup, same manicure and resume. I answered the same questions and gave the same anecdotes. The *only* difference was that for one interview I flat-ironed my hair, and for the other I wore it clean and brushed but with its natural wave. At the first interview everyone commented that I was "Smart and organized." At the second I was "Arty and intellectual".

BV - For business "intellectual" is bad and "smart" is good. I hate people.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I agree that a hat and gloves would be over the top, but having successfully applied at a number of different positions in many different fields (both very conservative and more relaxed), it is possible to have a period hairdo and still be appropriately dressed for the interview (now I don't go in with rolled hair--I work that in later and no one bats an eyelash at that point ;)). It is important to tailor your style to the field you are interviewing in, of course, as some industries are more conservative/formal then others.

As a side note, I wear my hair curly, though neat and tame, to all interviews and have never been pegged in a negative sense. I would sincerely hope that a slightly different than average hairstyle wouldn't keep an otherwise qualified professional from a job.

Keep us posted, Sweet Leilani!

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A classic suit is perfect, whether it's vintage or not. I don't wear pantsuits myself. I just bought a black pinstripe suit with pencil skirt and single-button blazer at H&M for $80, and I love it!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Some hairdos work better than others. A bob, a simple updo, smooth waves a la Bacall, as long as they suit the wearer, are great. Like a classic suit, they're almost timeless. They're a lot better than the dreadful bed-head. But "period hairdos" to me are more like hairdos that are specific to a certain time (like water waves, bouffants, or 40s hairdos of a thousand bobby pins). Even then, some hairstyles were "party hairdos" as opposed to "office hairdos."

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jitterbugdoll said:
I would sincerely hope that a slightly different than average hairstyle wouldn't keep an otherwise qualified professional from a job.

I recently read about a man who had a good interview and was qualified but was turned down for a teaching position because he had a beard. How employers perceive whether you will fit in has a great impact on whether you get a job.

I recently interviewed a woman who had big curly hair and was wearing a purple satin blouse and no jacket. That wasn't a major factor in our decision not to hire her, but it didn't help her. OTOH, another woman wore a black pantsuit, neat and feminine short hairdo and office-appropriate makeup. I'm sure that was one reason one of the partners liked her. (I didn't like her as a candidate because she couldn't spell.)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Some hairdos work better than others. A bob, a simple updo, smooth waves a la Bacall, as long as they suit the wearer, are great. Like a classic suit, they're almost timeless. They're a lot better than the dreadful bed-head. But "period hairdos" to me are more like hairdos that are specific to a certain time (like water waves, bouffants, or 40s hairdos of a thousand bobby pins). Even then, some hairstyles were "party hairdos" as opposed to "office hairdos."

This is true, but it is generally quite clear as to what is "office" or "day" appropriate and what is best left for evening wear, both then and now. The "Betty Grable" updo I usually wear is a very vintage hairstyle specific to the 1940s, but an office-suitable one at that. My non-vintage wearing sister taught it to me when she worked at a prestigious, conservative insurance firm.

I also agree with Miss Bella Hell on the skirt- vs. pantsuit topic. I was taught to always wear a skirt to an interview by a marketing professor, and I have always gone with that old-fashioned standard, as I feel it is one that hasn't gone out of style.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think a lot also depends on where you are -- if you're in an area where it's considered important to be hip and fashion-forward and on the cutting edge and all that, a vintage look might send the message that you're too much of a non-conformist to that particular brand of institutionalized non-conformity to fit in. On the other hand, if you're in a more conservative sort of area, a vintagey look might actually be an asset.

This is an issue I'm struggling with right now myself -- I've never worn a pantsuit in my life, and I wouldn't know how to do my hair in a trendy style if you threatened me at blowdryer-point. So I go to interviews in my soberest blue skirt suit and hope for the best. So far nobody's said anything negative, but then, I'm still looking for work, too. On the other hand, when I interviewed for my job at the theatre, my look was actually responsible for my getting the job -- they had noticed me coming to shows, and my clothes got their attention!

Bottom line -- do what's appropriate, but also do what's honestly you. It won't do much good to dress up as someone you're really not just to get a job and then end up being stuck in that persona indefinitely.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
Hi Leilani,

I work in state government (I'm a Government Girl) and have gone to all my interviews from entry level to current management position in simple, neat/tidy vintage. I think Jitterbugdoll's advice is right on. I personally don't feel comfortable or confident in modern style clothes, and I am sure that would have come across in the interview. My clothes are 40s, and I see them as totally classic, whether my office wear is tailored suit, high-waisted pants and peplum jacket, or a blouse and sweater/skirt. I doubt most people who ride up the elevator with me realize it's all vintage/auth. repro.

Good luck to you! You'll knock them dead. :eusa_clap

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I agree with a lot of the advice given here. While in dental hygiene school we had a recruiter come in and talk to us about interviewing and what to wear. A skirt suit is always classic. A lady shouldn't wear a pant suit to an interview. She also said we shouldn't wear a dress with a jacket either. These are good work wear, but aren't in the category of "interviewing appropriate". My mom said that she had a professor in grad school tell her that "nothing says power more than a woman in a suit" The typical style definition of a ladies suit is a skirt and a jacket.

Although this may be repetitive, and even though I haven't worked for over 6 year's, I'll give my $.02: I think you can easily get away with a vintage suit, but I would stick to one of the tailored less adorned ones. There are nice tweed, simpler fitted suits, and then there are the suits that have lots of embroidered or attached designs. I would stick to the simpler of the two. A nice black, blue, or tweed below the knee length suit with a simple blouse. Shoes can make a suit. I don't think vintage peep toe pumps would be inappropriate and they might just give you that added vintage feel that you want.
Like others have said, sometimes it's best to keep it simple. I dress up my "on the town" suits with a cute hat, a pin, gloves, the works. For daytime my accessories are played down a bit. I'll usually wear simpler jewelry like a shorter strand of pearls and a delicate pair of pearl earrings, either a stud or a simple drop pair. A brooch is always nice. If I do wear a hat, I keep it simple. I keep my hats with feathers or big flowers for outings, I think this might be a bit over the top for a job interview.

The one thing that I always wonder about when it comes to job interviews is whether or not to wear seamed stockings. I love them, but know that nowadays they can be seen as sexy or flirty. I like to keep things conservative for interviews. It'd be nice to know what you ladies think in regards to wearing seams to an interview. I know what my modern guy friends connotate them with. Seams mean something totally different today, verses being just a pair of stockings back in the golden era. I often wonder if the interviewer saw them he might think that I was trying to be sexy, or he might think that they could be distracting to the men in the office. What do you ladies think about it? I know, this might be a difficult question to answer being that you'd have to put yourselves in the mind of a modern man who probably doesn't know anything about real style:p !

As for hair, I don't know if you have long or short hair but I have hair just below the shoulders. If you do, you can pull back both sides, make a little twist and just clip it back. This gives a little height to the hair on the top and it looks a bit like a victory roll, except it's not as defined and not as high. I think neat and tidy is the way to go. I love hair ornaments, but I don't think they are appropriate for interviewing. I don't think you would want a do that was really complicated looking. Just some soft curls and pulled back a bit. You don't want anything that might draw attention to your looks and away from your personality:) As for make-up, go for soft day time colors. I know we all love our red lipstick, but stick to one that isn't too bright, doesn't have too much orange tone in it.

I would imagine that working for a museum you will be able to dress vintage a lot. I couldn't think of a more perfect environment to wear vintage clothing. The people I know who work for museums are very creative. Dressing vintage is a great expression of creativity. So it sounds like you will get plenty of chances to get dressed up. But, I would still play it down a bit for the interview.
I wish you all the best of luck with your upcoming interview. Working for a museum will be incredible. Please let us know how the interview goes, and what you end up deciding to wear.

Good Luck:):eusa_clap :)

pigeon toe

One Too Many
For my interview tomorrow afternoon with Revamp I'll definitely be wearing vintage, but considering it's a vintage reproduction company it makes sense! I'm scared for when I'll eventually have to interview to get a "real" job, or an office job. I've never had a formal interview before and considering I'm a student employee at my university, everyone is totally bummy wearing jeans and sweatshirts, etc.

I don't want to ever buy a suit! I like my dresses and skirts! There's just something about blazers and ladies suits that scare me. It's just so not my style.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
It's funny how everyones' experiences are so different. I completely agree with what everyone has said above, keeping it toned down and appropriate for that role. But in this day and age what is and isn't appropriate for interviews is not a universal thing. In my previous job at a publishing house I was fresh out of my first job since university, deeply into "being myself" and though I wore my best pencil skirt and shoes to the interview I wore a button up cardigan instead of a jacket. I had my hair dyed half magenta (on the bottom) and half black, curled and with a single reverse side roll. Passed that interview with flying colours!

When I got invited to the second interview, with the Director of Marketing, a very proper, conventional, very upper class lady who by the admission of the Manager I interviewed with first was "terrifying", I got a bit scared and took out my nose stud, wore my hair down and straight to conceal the pink (you could still clearly see it) though stuck with a very similar outfit, because I had nothing smarter, and anyway I was being "me". I got the job, because I was the best qualified and had all the skills required, though I could tell she was quietly slightly disapproving of me. But at the end of the day, I am a creative and though not exactly expected to be, people are unsurprised if I am a bit unconventional.

Ironically since the vintage bug really took hold I went to the interview for my current job smarter than the previous one, still without a jacket, but with a blouse, and all the people who interviewed me were more casual than me, but again, that's the nature of the kind of jobs I go for!

G

GoldLeaf

I have only recently gotten into vintage, so my experience is a bit different.

My first interview out of college, I wore a pant suit. I got the job. As a matter of fact, every interview I have gone on, I have gotten the job, and I have been wearing the black pant suit.

The last 2 jobs I got I had VERY short hair, about an inch long and spikey. There wasn't much of a choice in how to wear it. Of course it was as conservatively spikey as possible lol

I think they knew they were going to hire me before I got there, though. When I had to move because of my husband's job, the Town Manager from my previous position called every place I applied and gave me a glowing recomendation before I interviewed. I eventually got a call from every place for an interview, but I had already accepted this position :(

Of course, I work for County government as a community planner - which can be a bit more of an alternative field. It is pretty split 50/50 between women and men and has a very large percentage of minorities.

I go out and tromp around through proposed subdivisions at least once a month so I get away with jeans on those days. I know, I know! But clay doesn't come out of pants, I runied more than one pair of slacks that way :(

For presentations to the Planning Board or the Board of Commissioners, I wear a suit. Of course, since I gained 20 pounds, my georgeous skirt suits don't fit anymore :( Ah well, and excuse to try to scrape together enough money for a new one :)

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the input, ladies. At this point I am planning to wear a pantsuit in kind of a grayish green color. The only skirt suit I own is a vintage navy number with rhinestones- it's fabulous, but so not interview-appropriate! ;)

I just got my hair cut- it's a chin length bob; there's not much else I can do with it. My vintage expression will probably be either shoes or jewelry, but still conservative.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Bump!

There is some great advice in this thread.

I'm a college student, and we all know how busy school keeps you. I haven't worked part-time since June, so money has been tight. Now that its tight to the point of strangulation, I have started looking for work.

Here's the scam: I have an interview at Fossil on Friday. I have gone to the store and spoken with the assistant manager a few times, so she has seen my vintage look. Fossil is also a vintage themed store (What Vintage are You?).
The only thing is, this store is in an upscale mall, and the associates are all dressed very trendily and modern. My darling mum, with her omnipresent advice, tells me to "tone it down" and "dress normally for once," because they might not hire me.

I'm not planning to go in full pin-up regalia or rolled hair or anything - I was thinking tailored high waisted trousers, a blouse, understated heels, and an updo (see avatar). This look would be vintage, but quite timeless aswell.

Suggestions and criticism please!

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
C-dot said:
There is some great advice in this thread.

I'm a college student, and we all know how busy school keeps you. I haven't worked part-time since June, so money has been tight. Now that its tight to the point of strangulation, I have started looking for work.

Here's the scam: I have an interview at Fossil on Friday. I have gone to the store and spoken with the assistant manager a few times, so she has seen my vintage look. Fossil is also a vintage themed store (What Vintage are You?).
The only thing is, this store is in an upscale mall, and the associates are all dressed very trendily and modern. My darling mum, with her omnipresent advice, tells me to "tone it down" and "dress normally for once," because they might not hire me.

I'm not planning to go in full pin-up regalia or rolled hair or anything - I was thinking tailored high waisted trousers, a blouse, understated heels, and an updo (see avatar). This look would be vintage, but quite timeless aswell.

Suggestions and criticism please!

That sounds lovely. I would hate it if you were judged because of what you wear to the interview. As I see it, as long as you're clean, and able to do the job, what does it matter what you're wearing. Vintage and vintage inspired outfits are always in style. They always tell you to "just be yourself" at job interviews so i'm sure you'll look great!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran