Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The lack of Pedestrian culture in America

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
The tickets I would buy would be for the total opposite of what you wrote. I would give one way tickets to people like these:
180px-RussianRainbowGathering_4Aug2005.jpg

So you'd export the entire campus of UC Santa Cruz? ;) lol

(My apologies to any alums :eek: )

Joie DeVive said:
Hey now! Gentle! We can't all help where we were raised. ;)
True--my apologies, dear lady. The "cancer" I referred to was some of the prevailing attitudes in Sacramento/LA/SFO, and the total self-obsessed attitudes of a lot of the transplants, like the aforementioned characters that see a pedestrian in crosswalk and still try to blow through the red light...

Pray for me, please, folks--I'm going to have to deal with some of that up-close in July/August...

Diamondback said:
There you go again, exporting the Cali-cancer somewhere else to metastasize. Gee, thanks--you're the ones who messed up Oregon and Washington! :rage: Seems like at least once a week, some joker with California tags tries to run me over in the crosswalk... *fuming*

lol lol lol lol lol You don't expect the people who actually live here, have jobs, don't smoke dope and are making a living for ourselves will actually move--do you? It snows there for goodness sake. ;)
We are not the ones who messed up those states. We are still in California (aside from Joie---come back Joie!). :D
I have to tell you that you really aren't truly getting Californians though in many cases. Before WWII there were many native Californians who were here for generations. The culture was completely different here. During WWII and working up to it, tons of people came here from back east with eastern ideas to work in the shipyards and naval bases. They made California what it is today.
You are sort of getting our pass through now. So don't be offended if I commiserate with you and load up the bus. The cancer got to us 60 years ago. You are just getting the tip of the metastatist now. It gets way worse. Run while you still can. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Oh no! Those people stay. We don't have enough of those. The tickets I would buy would be for the total opposite of what you wrote. I would give one way tickets to people like these:
Regards,

J

Those folks would feel more at home in Boulder (remember Mork and Mindy?).

jamespowers said:
During WWII and working up to it, tons of people came here from back east with eastern ideas to work in the shipyards and naval bases. They made California what it is today.
So, you're tellin' me this whole mess is the fault of dangyankees? Seems to fit...:D

Edited to explain: I may live near Seattle, but I have very strong South/Central Texas roots, going all the way back to the Alamo if family records are correct.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
You don't expect the people who actually live here, have jobs, don't smoke dope and are making a living for ourselves will actually move--do you? It snows there for goodness sake. ;)

Some of us do!

What did me in was when the 1 bed, 1 bath condo, with 800 square feet across from the one I was renting sold for $340K. And no, for those of you not in CA, that isn't a typo, and they weren't luxury condos either.
I came to the realization that with the salary of a teacher, if I aspired to a dog bigger than a hampster and having children (someday) that did not reside in dresser drawers, I needed a new address!

You're right on the nature of the movement of people though. My parents came to California in the 1970s for work in the semiconductor industry. I actually, moved "home". Both of my parents were born and raised in Colorado, and almost my entire extended family is here. My parents hope to retire here, so sorry, JamesPowers, I probably won't be coming back pemanently. Despite the snow.... :eek:
I'll visit though. :)

And no harm, no foul, Diamondback! I knew you didn't mean me. I just had to give you a hard time. ;)

Joie DeVive said:
Some of us do!

What did me in was when the 1 bed, 1 bath condo, with 800 square feet across from the one I was renting sold for $340K. And no, for those of you not in CA, that isn't a typo, and they weren't luxury condos either.
I came to the realization that with the salary of a teacher, if I aspired to a dog bigger than a hampster and having children (someday) that did not reside in dresser drawers, I needed a new address!

You're right on the nature of the movement of people though. My parents came to California in the 1970s for work in the semiconductor industry. I actually, moved "home". Both of my parents were born and raised in Colorado, and almost my entire extended family is here. My parents hope to retire here, so sorry, JamesPowers, I probably won't be coming back pemanently. Despite the snow.... :eek:
I'll visit though. :)

And no harm, no foul, Diamondback! I knew you didn't mean me. I just had to give you a hard time. ;)

Yep, property here is not cheap by any measure. :eek:
We expect you back at least once a year---when it snows. :D

Regards,

J

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One of the great things about the U.S. is that there's something for everyone--suburbs, countryside, downtown, small town, commune--and you can live wherever you want. If you're unhappy where you're living, it's time to pick yourself up and move.

Paisley said:
One of the great things about the U.S. is that there's something for everyone--suburbs, countryside, downtown, small town, commune--and you can live wherever you want. If you're unhappy where you're living, it's time to pick yourself up and move.

I ain't leaving here until everyone agrees with me. :D That and you really cannot get away from whatever it is you are running from. It just catches up to you eventually. The best thing to do is stay and fight. After my family has been here for over 125 years I am going to get kicked out by a bunch of hippies?! Not happening.:rage:

Joie DeVive said:
Hey, I'm planning the same kinda move as you've pulled (back to ancestral home turf)--if I can find a chunk of Texas Hill Country big enough to keep a 3- or 4-story building unobservable from the perimeter fenceline... (I was an architecture student once, and have big plans for my retirement.:eek: )

Diamondback said:
Hey, I'm planning the same kinda move as you've pulled (back to ancestral home turf)--if I can find a chunk of Texas Hill Country big enough to keep a 3- or 4-story building unobservable from the perimeter fenceline... (I was an architecture student once, and have big plans for my retirement.:eek: )

Plan on putting in the ol' minefield around the perimeter eh? ;)

Regards,

J

jamespowers said:
Plan on putting in the ol' minefield around the perimeter eh? ;)
Naw, just laser "tripwires" around the fenceline and a Barrett .50 with infrared scope in a securely-locked case up on the 4th-floor observation deck.:eek: "You can't keep what you can't protect" and all that...

In all probability, my namesakes'll probably be good enough for security, it's just that I'm a huge privacy freak--if you can see your neighbor's house, the parcels aren't big enough IMO.

Besides, I'm gonna need a big noise-buffer when I'm playing with jet engines, right? (Especially if I can find the $$$ to do a double-shuffle for an ex-prof's old F-106 interceptor...:eek: :D )

But we're getting :eek:fftopic:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I ain't leaving here until everyone agrees with me. :D That and you really cannot get away from whatever it is you are running from. It just catches up to you eventually. The best thing to do is stay and fight. After my family has been here for over 125 years I am going to get kicked out by a bunch of hippies?! Not happening.:rage:

To each his own. As I see it, I have a limited time on this earth and I don't want to spend it butting heads with a lot of bad neighbors and fighting city hall. I don't have the disposition for it. If someone else wants to do that, more power to him.

Paisley said:
To each his own. As I see it, I have a limited time on this earth and I don't want to spend it butting heads with a lot of bad neighbors and fighting city hall. I don't have the disposition for it. If someone else wants to do that, more power to him.

Its not all that bad. I don't butt heads with the neighbors. I really only have a problem with one and that doesn't prevent me from talking to the nutcases. :p There is also no guarantee that if I were to move that the neighbors would be one iota better. They could be worse. :eusa_doh:
I love fighting city hall myself. Its a hobby of mine. :D Just remember that if you don't speak up it is the same as giving consent. I can always make time to save myself some money. ;)

Regards,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner