Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Last decent Alpha Ma-1 ?

Geordiebri

New in Town
Hello all. New to the forum. I'm interested in decent Ma-1 NOT the new Alpha's as I think the quality is appalling. I have a few questions to ask so here we go.

When was the year roughly when Alpha did the old school jacket with the better nylon and wool cuffs?

Were any of the commercial Alphas of the same standard?

When was the last year of military issue for the MA-1 and are they the same standard of nylon and wool?

I've seen the very good alternatives, but they are expensive, The Buzz Rickson/Real McCoy etc

Is the chinese Bronson as good a standard as the Buzz Rickson?

I'm 177 cm and 80kg which size will I need in
Buzz ?
Bronson ?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alpha ‘Replica Series’ made in the USA used very good textiles going back some years, nice thick nylon shell, decent knits and even proper interlining with a percentage of wool as opposed to the modern lightweight synthetics used. I recollect one of the decent series had a red and gold cigarette pocket tag.

080D6FC3-0C5B-4A73-98CF-211BF3B4ECD1.jpeg
A45EAF82-FA95-4CF8-BD3F-BC10F8A05334.jpeg

Blackadder

Unless you are looking to get a military issue, I would suggest you take a look at all those second hand Buzz on Rakuten and Yahoo Auction JP.
I doubt anyone would say a Bronson is on par with a Buzz.
They are hardly comparable because one is a high end "repro", the other is a low price decent quality "copy". Depends on what you what.
People are surprised by Bronson because it often exceeds their expectations given the price (and the current Alpha MA-1) but it is not a high end repro.

Last edited:

Geordiebri

New in Town
Alpha ‘Replica Series’ made in the USA used very good textiles going back some years, nice thick nylon shell, decent knits and even proper interlining with a percentage of wool as opposed to the modern lightweight synthetics used. I recollect one of the decent series had a red and gold cigarette pocket tag.

View attachment 330652 View attachment 330653

Hello and thanks for the info. How do you know if it's "Replica series" as it doesn't say on the label? Do you just look for the Black & gold label, but NOT the one the mentions Vintage?

Geordiebri

New in Town
Unless you are looking to get a military issue, I would suggest you take a look at all those second hand Buzz on Rakuten and Yahoo Auction JP.
They are hardly comparable because one is a high end "repro", the other is a low price decent quality "copy". Depends on what you what.
People are surprised by Bronson because it often exceeds their expectations given the price (and the current Alpha MA-1) but it is not a high end repro.

The Bronson isn't available apparently till October, I'll trawl

Is there a way someone in UK can use those sites, has anyone in UK used them?

Blackadder

The Bronson isn't available apparently till October, I'll trawl

Is there a way someone in UK can use those sites, has anyone in UK used them?
There are many proxy service. Being in UK, you will have to pay duties and VAT.

Geordiebri

New in Town
Can anyone tell me what sisze I would need in the Buzz BR10981 What is Medium?

I'm 177cm 80kg, will medium be ok?

Last edited:

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Hello and thanks for the info. How do you know if it's "Replica series" as it doesn't say on the label? Do you just look for the Black & gold label, but NOT the one the mentions Vintage?
No, you need to look for the small red with gold lettering tag on the cigarette pocket.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
From the vintage N3B and N2B that have gone through my hands I take the view that the original military jackets definitely aren't high end either.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
No, you need to look for the small red with gold lettering tag on the cigarette pocket.
If I am not mistaken: the Replica series does not have lettering tag on the sleeve pocket.
I own a B15d(mod) Replica Series and it does not have a tag. I think that Alpha put the tag only on its civilian series. The Replica was supposed to be a military repro.
The red tag was another series that Alpha released, which, if I am not mistaken was made in Vietnam.

Geordiebri

New in Town
That's great thanks a lot.

Ok, according to their measurement, My actual chest size is 41 & they say you would need a bit wiggle room 60% customers want 10" & 40% want 8".

So would the medium which is 24"x2 = 48....Or the Large which is
25"x2= 50 Any ideas which one, or do you think either?

An

Last edited:

Blackadder

From the vintage N3B and N2B that have gone through my hands I take the view that the original military jackets definitely aren't high end either.
Thank you for the reminder. What I mean and I believe many would agree high end repros simply involve remaking the old discontinued parts as close as possible. It does not mean the original or the repro is high end clothing at all. After all these are not bespoke suit or dress just unforms and work clothes.
Having said that those old parts do become rarer and therefore cost more and e.g. "high end" repro companies insist on using coyote fur hood on a repro N-2 in stead of switching to racoon or synthetics like Alpha (even the military switched to synthetic to save costs). I don't know how much coyote fur costs but I do believe alpaca mix lining costs more than a pure wool lining on repro n-1s. Is it warmer? Synthetic lining is likely to be the warmest and most durable.
BTW, I say Bronson is a copy because they are copies of the Buzz (pattern wise) and not a repro of an original.

Last edited:

Blackadder

The quality may note be bespoke, but some of the prices certainly are!
Yes. That is why you need to understand what you are looking for.
A perfectly wearable, lighter weight yet as warm and very durable nylon jacket with synthetic lining and modern zippers or a heavy bulky nylon jacket with obsolete wool lining, obsolete zippers that cost more.

bn1966

Replica Alpha MA-1’s: had several jackets with the Gold n Red pocket tag inc an N-2B, textiles were great, colours not necessarily that accurate. Can’t recall the ‘made in’ label & have since moved them on (came up a bit big on me in XL). Thought they were USA, may have been Vietnam as Blackadder states. Shame I don’t still have one for reference. I call them ‘Replica’ as opposed to the ‘Vintage’ series which make good beaters but are the wrong shade of colour with cheaper textiles.

I once had a B-15 Replica go through my hands, no pocket label with good colour and textiles, nearly on a par with Buzz IMHO & I had a Buzz B-15 at the time. Series went by chest size I recollect and came up very big. I’m a 46 chest and was swamped by a 44.

As the Doc states, some of the military issue aren’t high end. Had an
N-2B Alpha with synthetic lining and hood, service issue, poorly made in my opinion, sold it and got the Civvy version which was better made and nearly identical.

Some of the earlier issue nylon appears better quality, I have a 70’s issue fur trimmed N-2B which is a great thing & a 50’s N-2A that has stood the test of time very well.

Went to Eastmans this week and looked at some of their Buzz jackets, lovely things which thankfully don’t fit me very well :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider