Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Left Hand of God

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
This is one of my favorite Bogart films. It's not available on DVD. I've heard you can request movies to be put on their schedule, somewhere on the TCM site, but I can't find anything like that on their site. Can someone clue me in on how to make requests? And even maybe add your requests to mine, to get them to show it? :D

Thanks!

Tiller

Practically Family
Not really on topic, but not exactly off topic either. Isn't "The Left Hand of God" the wrath of God? Well the right hand of God is the blessing of God? I ask because I haven't seen the movie, and I wonder how the title plays into the story.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
The title has to do with the right hand of God being God Himself, or emissaries who are sent by God. In the Left Hand of God, Bogart plays a mercenary who impersonates a priest as a way of hiding from a warlord in China. The real priest is on his way to take over a church but gets killed on the way. Bogart assumes the priest's identity, goes to the parish and actually begins helping people there, who come to trust him, thinking he's the real deal. He remembers enough of his Catholic upbringing to use the right phrases, and he speaks the Chinese language, so he becomes a kind of de facto priest, however unqualified. Since he's not "the real deal," he is therefore...the left hand of God, so to speak.

Tiller

Practically Family
The title has to do with the right hand of God being God Himself, or emissaries who are sent by God. In the Left Hand of God, Bogart plays a mercenary who impersonates a priest as a way of hiding from a warlord in China. The real priest is on his way to take over a church but gets killed on the way. Bogart assumes the priest's identity, goes to the parish and actually begins helping people there, who come to trust him, thinking he's the real deal. He remembers enough of his Catholic upbringing to use the right phrases, and he speaks the Chinese language, so he becomes a kind of de facto priest, however unqualified. Since he's not "the real deal," he is therefore...the left hand of God, so to speak.

Thank you Blackthorn that is very interesting. I really should have a better understanding of certain religious ideas.

It sounds like an interesting film. I wonder if Bogart had an interest in the far East, after all he also stared in Tokyo Joe, which I know holds a special place in your heart Blackthorn ;).

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Blackthorn that is very interesting. I really should have a better understanding of certain religious ideas.

It sounds like an interesting film. I wonder if Bogart had an interest in the far East, after all he also stared in Tokyo Joe, which I know holds a special place in your heart Blackthorn ;).
I've wondered that about Bogart, too, Tiller. And I know you have me pegged in this area, too, Tiller. :D

Actually Asia fascinates me on many levels.http://thefedorachronicles.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=114&t=7963

Curmudgeon

New in Town
This is one of my favorite Bogart films. It's not available on DVD. I've heard you can request movies to be put on their schedule, somewhere on the TCM site, but I can't find anything like that on their site. Can someone clue me in on how to make requests? And even maybe add your requests to mine, to get them to show it? :D

Thanks!
I can't answer your actual question, but the movie is available on demand from Amazon.com. Since I've never done it I'm not really sure how it works, but apparently it is streamed to your computer. I would imagine there would be a way to save it to your computer, since you have a choice of renting or purchasing it. If you purchase it, that would logically mean you download and save it to your computer. From there save it to DVD.

If you decide to try it, I would be curious to know just how it works.

JP

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I can't answer your actual question, but the movie is available on demand from Amazon.com. Since I've never done it I'm not really sure how it works, but apparently it is streamed to your computer. I would imagine there would be a way to save it to your computer, since you have a choice of renting or purchasing it. If you purchase it, that would logically mean you download and save it to your computer. From there save it to DVD.

If you decide to try it, I would be curious to know just how it works.

JP

I've done that, streamed to my puter before, but I've not been able to figure out how to save it in such a way that I can burn it to DVD. I could do it from my DVR if I could get TCM or anyone else to put it on their schedule, but I've not figured how to do it from my computer (yet). If I figure it out, I'll post it here, and thanks JP.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I never found a way to request this on TCM but if anyone is interested (and probably no one is), it's coming on Cinemax twice in the next 24 hours. I'm a happy camper.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
That sounds like it would be a great movie. I am a big Bogey fan. No pun intended. I am big and I really like Bogie. LOL. I have never seen that movie. I love Tokyo Joe by the way.

=GG=
Tokyo Joe is another big favorite of mine. In fact, it's the movie that decided me that I had to own a fedora of my own. That one is, I believe, still available on DVD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21