Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Legendary DURABLE (Wild One) Jacket

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Silver stars are only temporary
haNYs1b.jpg

kz17WhV.jpg

10gIasA.jpg

LnyCWyx.jpg
5FpivgN.jpg
Z7LnNyF.jpg
tX3jpnr.jpg
QLlNJK0.jpg
dC7U54N.jpg
PEgylzf.jpg
m8616y8.jpg
Beautiful heirloom.
Johnny be proud!
B

dannyk

One Too Many
@RockSolid still has some wrinkles/creases but wow! Some saddle soap, pecards and elbow grease made a world of difference. As you wear it, if you intend to, I bet you’ll knock even more out. While adding some of your own.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Love the jacket. I wish I had one just like yours. Please be careful with the zip. The zip in your jacket is the best American made zipper I have ever seen. However, It does have a slight problem. Can be address is most cases. If it does fail, see me, I will help you out with beast of a zipper.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
That would be great, however, I truly do not think it is necessary to actually lend the jacket for a reproduction. I think an excellent reproduction can be made with excellent photo references. Frankly, I do not think Shawn is very interested.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That would be great, however, I truly do not think it is NOT necessary to actually lend the jacket for a reproduction. I think an excellent reproduction can be made with excellent photo references. Frankly, I do not think Shawn is very interested.

I think he has an interest in such reproductions. He did recently reproduce a JC Penney Two Star from an original, for instance.

I agree with your point though. The real key is that he has a solid, V-shaped cross zip pattern as a foundation, then the visuaI details can come from photo references.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
I think he has an interest in such reproductions. He did recently reproduce a JC Penney Two Star from an original, for instance.

I agree with your point though. The real key is that he has a solid, V-shaped cross zip pattern as a foundation, then the visuaI details can come from photo references.
Last year, I did try to reach him and pitch the idea, but he did not show any interest. From my prospective, If someone offered to send an original Bucjo j24 for reproduction, I would take him seriously.

I truly hope, soon, he does offer a top quality hide to go with a good reproduction. I often contemplated his heavy goat to reproduce my 50s Harley-Davidson Townsman or Cycle champ.

PolarMoon

New in Town
I keep posting here that I hope one of the Durable owners here lends his Durable to Shawn in Pakistan to make us all exact repros. We can call it the Lounge Official Jacket.
What a great idea! It would mean a ton for a bunch of people (myself included) that love the design of the Durable One Star, especially if it was done by Shawn. His designs are really affordable.
Plus, the person would probably even get a reproduction of their own jacket.

Aloysius

Despite my musing about doing a Shawn Durable repro, mostly for the novelty of it, to follow up on the exchange with @ton312 and @Claybertrand in the other thread, I don’t actually find the Durable motorcycle jacket all that interesting.

First off like I mentioned I don’t really get what would make the make a cut above every contemporary maker; surviving examples haven’t signaled that to me. But perhaps more importantly (because I think design and leather are more important aspects than construction, for this stuff), on a purely visual level I think the Durable motorcycle jacket’s proportions aren’t as nice of those of the other brands who were doing that design type.

Look at this 1950s Schott (part of MoMA’s collection)
1678648953160.jpeg

or this Wolf (I don’t want to waste storage space so just linking to threads where the pics are on TFL already) or this Windward.

It may well have been more expensive (or cheaper, who knows) by comparison, but on a design level the Durable is the least interesting of the bunch. Features like the centered button flap button go against design norms, imo.

To my eyes, the Schott looks best, followed by the Windward, then the Wolf and many others including no-names before we get to the Durable.

Just some stray thoughts and this seemed to be the thread for them.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Despite my musing about doing a Shawn Durable repro, mostly for the novelty of it, to follow up on the exchange with @ton312 and @Claybertrand in the other thread, I don’t actually find the Durable motorcycle jacket all that interesting.

First off like I mentioned I don’t really get what would make the make a cut above every contemporary maker; surviving examples haven’t signaled that to me. But perhaps more importantly (because I think design and leather are more important aspects than construction, for this stuff), on a purely visual level I think the Durable motorcycle jacket’s proportions aren’t as nice of those of the other brands who were doing that design type.

View attachment 497344

or this Wolf (I don’t want to waste storage space so just linking to threads where the pics are on TFL already) or this Windward.

It may well have been more expensive (or cheaper, who knows) by comparison, but on a design level the Durable is the least interesting of the bunch. Features like the centered button flap button go against design norms, imo.

To my eyes, the Schott looks best, followed by the Windward, then the Wolf and many others including no-names before we get to the Durable.

I've got this one coming in the mail. I will have the opportunity to compare it with some fine jackets in my collection.

Based on @Mysteryo assessment above I anticipate it will be well received. I know he has some of the same jackets I own and has taste I can understand.

At some point I may able to add to the Durable/Brando connection with this jacket in hand. There are lot of other jackets in that movie. I recognized a few.

1678656775192.jpeg

Aloysius

At some point I may able to add to the Durable/Brando connection with this jacket in hand. There are lot of other jackets in that movie. I recognized a few.

To your point about the other jackets, I haven't seen the film yet (I grew up on 50s and 60s films but this one has never especially appealed to me. I'll have to watch it sometime because jacket guys always mention it), but I saw via the Toys McCoy repro that one of the other members of the gang has a beautiful Cal-style jacket. That one I really liked.

dmoser1978

One of the Regulars

View attachment 497344

What is a "centered button flap button?" Which button do you mean?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24