Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the leopard can never change its spots

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Sis said:
I think you are either an animal print person or you are not. And I'm one of the nots! I don't go for them at all, there's just no appeal there.

I *completely* agree with you. Ive always abhorred animal prints on me. Makes me feel like I have a rash. :eek:
Whenever I see them in stores I completely gloss over them. No matter if they are lifelike leopard, or hot pink zebra....bleck.
Perhaps Im just not that daring.

LD

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Miss Sis, a person can change. Just like with tastes (olives) and scents (sinful perfumes), a gal can grow to like leopard, even if she wouldn't have dreamt of wearing it when she was younger. This is true for me, though I have changed personalities. I love everything about this pic:
klmmalite.jpg

Title: Beauty Contest
Caption: A Parisian nightclub owner, appearing as 'Mae West 1966', judges a male beauty contest at an annual charity show for the benefit of actors.

Acquanetta from "Tarzan and the Leopard Woman" 1946
http://www.doctormacro1.info/Images/Acquanetta/Annex/Annex%20-%20Acquanetta%20(Tarzan%20and%20the%20Leopard%20Woman)_01.jpg

Veronica Lake
tumblr_krztbjTjXc1qa70eyo1_500.jpg

Barbara Hale
http://www.classichollywooddivas.com/uploaded_images/BarbaraHale002A-742852.jpg

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
I *completely* agree with you. Ive always abhorred animal prints on me. Makes me feel like I have a rash. :eek:
Whenever I see them in stores I completely gloss over them. No matter if they are lifelike leopard, or hot pink zebra....bleck.
Perhaps Im just not that daring.

LD

LD, perhaps I am boring! I like quite plain things as a rule, although I completely love plaid and stripes. I like geometric things.

I don't think I will change my mind about this on me. It's like spot prints. OK on other people, but I can't bear them on myself!

bunny chan

Familiar Face
Does this count? It's not a leopard dress, though...

leopard.jpg

I also love leopard print, even if I don't have so much done with it! I surley have to do something about it :) !

B.

Smuterella

One Too Many
maisie said:
Me too! I have seen quite a few leopard print items from the 40's/50's. Fur gloves, hats and a few weeks back even a sheepskin leopard print CC41 coat from the 1940s!

that wouldn't be the one I just bought from eBay would it? ;)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
With all respect ...and even though in the past i used an avatar of me wearing a leopard print hat faux of course.... this is how i prefer my big cats.....

ALIVE and PURRING [huh]

1174179702_fe9c9a5d2c_b.jpg

i_am_the_scruff

A-List Customer
No offence to those who like it, but I HATE animal print on anything but animals. It looks cheap and tacky.

Plus.. as silly as it sounds.. something that really grates on me is when people call cheetah print leopard print..

Sorry!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I would like a leopard-print pencil skirt.

That said, I REALLY want a little glam upholstered leopard print chair and an Art Deco vanity with one of those huge round mirrors. I think a small-scaled assymetric chair is just the thing in leopard print. I know homegoods aren't the same as wardrobe but its still animal print and very Hollywood Regency.

And I saw a giraffe print rug I liked. It was just an abstract beige-on-beige pattern that would look delicious under cream furniture.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
I love that picture of Veronica Lake, Cherry Lips! Here are the animal print photos I found in my Flickr:

A bigger version of my avatar pic:

And here's my personal contribution:

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for posting those lovely pics! I think it's a great idea to post pics of our leopard-clad selves.

i_am_the_scruff said:
something that really grates on me is when people call cheetah print leopard print.
I admit I mix up leopard and cheetah print (though I can tell zebra from giraff), but I don't think it's a sin; if it was I think I'd get more of a kick out if it...

Marion Carr
marioncarrtrapeze.jpg

Ava Gardner
AVAGARDNER1950.jpg

get_atomized

One of the Regulars
i_am_the_scruff said:
No offence to those who like it, but I HATE animal print on anything but animals. It looks cheap and tacky.

lol at a sentence that begins with "no offense, but..."

Not to worry, cheap and tacky is what I strive for!

Outside of a vintage context, I like these:
http://stockingirl.com/Merchant2/me...ode=miccina&Product_Code=LPT75&Category_Code=
http://stockingirl.com/Merchant2/me...ode=miccina&Product_Code=GL117&Category_Code=

I have a couple pairs of another model of leopard-print tights from that site but they're no longer available! Those thigh high stockings in the second link just kill me though.

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
cherry lips said:
Thanks for posting those lovely pics! I think it's a great idea to post pics of our leopard-clad selves.

You're welcome! I'm glad you enjoyed them. I love the Jazz for Playgirls LP cover; I want that top!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
cherry lips, I love the photo of Josephine and Chiquita!!!!

Katherine Hepburn whith the beautiful leopard in the movie "Bringing Up Baby" (1938)

untitled-17.jpg

... this is a real baby one! :D a leopard cub born at a National Zoo facility in Northen Virginia USA, in March 2009
Leopard_1372673c.jpg
<<<< adorable baby face!:D

swingkitten85

Familiar Face
Lauren said:
I saw this hat when we were on our trip to Paris and I HAD to have it. It's from the later 30s and I want to make a matching suit jacket and muff for it someday.
cathat1.jpg

cathat2.jpg

cathat3.jpg

Wow, Lauren--that hat is amazing! I love how it's only partially the leopard; breaking it up makes it a bit more sophisticated, imho. ;)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Oh my Hadley, that cub is cute! (I think animal babies are much cuter than human infants, they manage to awake my maternal instincts!)
I'm looking forward to Amy Jeanne's 20s -30s pics, and more picutres of FLers in leopard (Miss Bella Hell?..). In the meantime:

The Paris Sisters
paris.jpg

I snagged this 20s pic from the knitted dress thread/ Paul:
be079043or1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland