Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The line between stingy brim and full brim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatsEnough

Banned
A while back I put together this thread of German and Austrian movie actor photos mostly from the 20s and 30s. It gives a good idea of the wide range of brim length, crown height and taper.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/63-german-austrian-actors-wearing-hats-post-cards/

That was a pretty interesting photographic essay, if you will. Thanks for the link.

A few Alpine hats, a few bowlers, but most were fedoras of one type or another. And lots of Hollywood brims, too!

I also had one of my hat stereotypes upheld with that group of photos.

I have always felt that a porkpie just doesn't "work" as a serious, adult hat. They are always "funny" or "ironic" or for effect. And every guy wearing a porkpie or a short up-brimmed hat in that group were the comedian actors! See. A porkpie is just a goofy hat. Now-a-days everyone wearing them are young hipsters that want to seem "kool" with their ironic hat. I just have no use for a porkpie. None at all.

I have seen some people that look good in them, of course. But most of the time they seem more like an affectation than a serious hat to my eye. I'm sure now everyone will get their hats in a tilt, but it's the way I feel about porkpies nonetheless.

Pompidou

One Too Many
Some hats say, "Look at me, I'm trying to be Indiana Jones!" Some hats say, "Look at me, I think I'm Humphrey Bogart!" Whatever porkpies might say, at the end of the day, no matter what hat you wear, a whole bunch of people will think things about you that you probably don't like. So, I don't worry about it. I just wear what I like, and let people draw whatever conclusions they like. Whether I'm an ironic hipster, a fictitious archaeologist or an iconic actor in the eyes of the public doesn't matter. I'm just Matt Turpin, and it's just a hat.

RBH

Bartender
Some hats say, "Look at me, I'm trying to be Indiana Jones!" Some hats say, "Look at me, I think I'm Humphrey Bogart!" Whatever porkpies might say, at the end of the day, no matter what hat you wear, a whole bunch of people will think things about you that you probably don't like. So, I don't worry about it. I just wear what I like, and let people draw whatever conclusions they like. Whether I'm an ironic hipster, a fictitious archaeologist or an iconic actor in the eyes of the public doesn't matter. I'm just Matt Turpin, and it's just a hat.

Man.. you said it well.
And with those wise words I will close this....thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails