Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The line between stingy brim and full brim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
At what length would you say a hat is either a stingy brim or a full brimmed fedora? Like where is the line in terms of brim size which separates the two?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
2" in my opinion. 2" is still a small brim, but below that is what I'd call stingy. 2 3/8 is where I think it's a larger or fuller brim.

Last edited:

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I've got a couple of old, crummy wool hats. One has a 1-7/8" brim and it definitely looks stingy to me. The other is about 2-1/8" and it doesn't look stingy at all, even though it's a little taller and less tapered crown than the other.

So at 2" is where the line falls, whether a 2" brim is stingy or not probably depends on its relation to the size of the crown.

2" can go either way.

HatsEnough

Banned
I lose interest in any hat with a brim less than 2-3/8" and dang few at 2-3/8" at that. But I say "stingy" begins at 2" and less. I prefer brims to start at 2-1/2" and go up to 2-7/8" really.

Nobert

Practically Family
I tend to feel the opposite, I actually don't like wide brim hats (for me, I mean, it all depends on one's own taste and head shape). I think of 2" as short brim, though just about perfect for my head. To my mind "stingy brim" means the late 50's/early 60's style associated with the Rat Pack (which is enjoying a resurgance these days), in which the brim is barely extant, more of a rim than a brim.

Phineas Lamour

Practically Family
Most of my hats are right around 2". I think they would be considered stingy by most here. But too much larger than that on my head looks like a cowboy hat to my eyes. I have a milan Borsolino that has a wider brim and doesn't look bad.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Thank-you for bringing this up; it was a question I had, myself. Now, looking at hats for sale, I see very few that are really at that border line. It seems to take at least 2 1/2" to keep the sun out of my eyes and the only 2 1/4" brim I have is a winter hat for when there isn't much sun, anyhow. I certainly wouldn't own anything smaller than that and 2 1/2-3" is about right. Good thread!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Two inches is a good point to consider the fine line between "stingy" and "not stingy" but I've found that other factors can have an effect on the appearance of stingy or not stingy. One is the edge treatment, if there is one. Some can make a brim a bit wider than 2 inches seem narrower, and others wider.

Stingy brims, with rare exceptions, do not look good on my with my current face shape and my size, at least in my opinion. On the other hand, my son and nephew both look great in stingy brims. I think that the youthful slenderness of their faces has something to do with that.

Cheers,
Tom

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I'm going with 2" on my new hat. It'll be a nice contrast to my Alessandria that has 2-1/2" sides and back and about 2-5/8" or a bit more in front. If I'll own two brown or taupe hats with fairly tall and square crowns I want them as different as possible brim-wise. And some days I'm in the mood not to have a bunch of brim in my face, truth be told.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I can agree on those figures, I do own a few hats that are stingy brims and they are not too bad looking when I wear them at all. I have not yet come to feel one brim size is a preference to me, I find for myself if I put a hat on and like how it looks that is all that matters.

carldelo

One Too Many
I think 2" or less is stingy, 2-1/8" to 2-3/8" is exactly right and cosmically harmonious (on me), and 2-1/2" or greater is wide. One guess what size brim my hats have...

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I've had and can wear a 2" but those have been shorter and more tapered crowns. For the hats I'm buying nowadays, I prefer 2.5". I think less than 2" is "stingy" as many have said.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails