Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Little Joe Cartwright" hat?

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd hold out for a Revenger.
I've seen 'em cheap as dirt and I think they come as close as anything you'll find, save a custom.
What's yer bean size?

Oh, yeah how do you ruin an Akubra??? [huh]
Those things are as tough as nails!

Last edited:

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Hmmmm...looks like you're between a rock and hard place. Not much left to do except figure out which one will hurt less.

One thing I should warn people about: I got a little overzealous with the Kahl Hat Stiffener and somehow got the sweatband wet with it. Even after drying several days the dyes in the sweatband came off in my hair and would not wash out. Luckily I wear a hat when I'm in town so I'm sure those stains will be there until I get a haircut. I don't think that's peculiar to Akubra because I had a Chinese made Indiana Jones hat several years ago that did the same thing. Careful with the hat stiffener. (That's not all that ruined the Akubra Plainsman in my incapable hands :D)

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I'd hold out for a Revenger.
I've seen 'em cheap as dirt and I think they come as close as anything you'll find, save a custom.
What's yer bean size?

I wear a 7 1/4 in just about everything but surplus Soviet Ushankas. They must shrink two sizes in storage for some reason. I can also wear a 7 3/8 in some hats. I find hat makers don't always measure properly. :D

As stated earlier, I hit the "Buy Now" for a Revenger on Ebay this morning. I think you may be right that it's the closest thing I'll find ready-made. If it is: I'll just cruise Ebay occasionally looking for others. I like to have spares because working on the ranch always seems to ruin hats and clothing.

Oh, yeah how do you ruin an Akubra??? [huh]
Those things are as tough as nails!

I wasn't very skilled with Kahl Hat Stiffener and ended up staining it to the point that it looked like an oil drop cloth. The sad thing was, I had used the same product on a cheapo Chicom Outback Trading Cabela's Featherlite Fedora and it came out looking and feeling great. I'm not sure if Akubra's just don't like that chemical or what. I also got some on the sweatband, and even days after drying it made the sweatband leave a nice brown stain in my hair that soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and windex would not get out. I'll have to get a haircut to get rid of it.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Well, I just received a Stetson Revenger off eBay, and it is indeed pretty darn close. It took me about ten minutes to steam the brim and roll it to look like the roll on the Little Joe hat. In fact, I'm convinced you could do this with just about any felt or fur "gambler" style hat. I may experiment with this some more.

My new avatar shows the hat "post-steaming." :D

RBH

Bartender
Litjoe.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24