Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Little Joe Cartwright" hat?

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I'm calling the hat style I'm looking for the "Little Joe Cartwright" hat just to give everyone a common visual. I have searched a couple dozen hat vendor websites and no one seems to make this style hat anymore.

I located a place that makes an actual reproduction: http://www.baronhats.com/Ljoe.htm

That is way too pricey for me.

I managed to buy an Akubra Plainsman for not much money off eBay, and that looks to be a decent basis for conversion, except that the color is somewhat "too yellow" and it's going to require extensive reshaping and stiffening of the brim, plus a new hat band.

I would rather someone out there point me to an outlet that makes a cowboy hat in this style, ready to wear.

IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE "LITTLE JOE" HAT. Basically, it's roughly a gambler style hat, but in tan, and the brim is curled up at the front moreso than parallel to the sides. A key feature is the telescoped crown. This type of hat was commonly seen in the westerns of the '50's and '60's, but you don't just go to Miller Hats and order one like it. What I'm basically seeking is that hat style because that style, but it can be other colors and with other hat bands.

Any suggestions? You guys usually come up with some pretty good stuff.

Last edited:

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Doc, I'm sure there are a number of places you can get one of these hats.

However, if it were me and I really wanted one like this, I'd head over to Mike Moore's Buckaroo Hatters. I bet Major Moore (who is a member here at the Lounge) could sort you out with something that is just what you are looking for at a way more attractive price point than Baron's.

?.. but you don't just go to Miller Hats and order one like it. What I'm basically seeking is that hat style because that style, but it can be other colors and with other hat bands.

Why not? Have you called them? Any decent hatter should be able to crease your hat exactly how you want it. It doesn't have to be in their retail catalogue for them to be able to make you what you want.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm calling the hat style I'm looking for the "Little Joe Cartwright" hat just to give everyone a common visual. I have searched a couple dozen hat vendor websites and no one seems to make this style hat anymore.

I located a place that makes an actual reproduction: http://www.baronhats.com/Ljoe.htm

That is way too pricey for me.

I managed to buy an Akubra Plainsman for not much money off eBay, and that looks to be a decent basis for conversion, except that the color is somewhat "too yellow" and it's going to require extensive reshaping and stiffening of the brim, plus a new hat band.

I would rather someone out there point me to an outlet that makes a cowboy hat in this style, ready to wear.

IT DOES NOT HAVE TO BE EXACTLY LIKE THE "LITTLE JOE" HAT. Basically, it's roughly a gambler style hat, but in tan, and the brim is curled up at the front moreso than parallel to the sides. A key feature is the telescoped crown. This type of hat was commonly seen in the westerns of the '50's and '60's, but you don't just go to Miller Hats and order one like it. What I'm basically seeking is that hat style because that style, but it can be other colors and with other hat bands.

Any suggestions? You guys usually come up with some pretty good stuff.

A Stetson "Revenger" is quite close & can often be had for very little.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
I guess I'm not sure why you can't just buy an open crown hat you like at a shop and have them put the creases where you want them.

It may come to that. Previous experience with hatters has made me a little skittish. "What you see is what you get" applies here. I've been disappointed by many a hat that was custom-ordered by description.

It may come to that. Previous experience with hatters has made me a little skittish. "What you see is what you get" applies here. I've been disappointed by many a hat that was custom-ordered by description.

I take it then you're not close to any hat shop to be able to do it in person. Still, there are many to whom you can send a picture and they'll send you back an exact replica. I think you probably have lots of options.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Mr. Dean and I had the same idea, I was just about to pop in to suggest Knudsen. Way cheaper than Baron's prices.

Also, I would give Last Best West a look.

1961MJS

Hi

At the risk of my getting my hat later, I'd strongly suggest Mike Moore of Buckaroo hatters. The hat in my avatar is one of his. I would also suggest that you actually find a hatter where you can try things on.

The Little Joe (Season 3) Hat Specs

Color: Sahara (Light Brown)

Felt Quality: 100% Western Weight Fur Felt or 100% 200XXX Beaver

Crown blocked at 5 ½ "

Crown Front & Back: 3 ¾ "

Crown Shape: Western Telescope

Brim Width: 3 ½ "

Brim Shape: Slightly turned up sides on front

Brim Edge: Raw

Hat Band : ¾ inch wide dark brown leather strap split into 4 interwoven strands closed by a steel buckle.12 oval shaped ¾ inch high steel Conchos spaced out 2 ¼ inches apart.

Little Joe was sort of little, so I'd bet a $ or so that Mike Moore could make everything buy the buckle and I wouldn't go and rule that out.

Later

Last edited:

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
As luck would have it, I logged onto Ebay this morning and I ran across a Stetson Revenger in tan for $99 Buy-It-Now in my size (7 1/4), New without tags.

Can't beat that for an experiment. If it works out I may just cruise Ebay for different colors in my size over time.

I just hate the custom hat maker route. I've dealt with Dirty Billy's and Greg Starbuck for years on my Civil War forage caps, but the idea of waiting months for a custom hat has just gotten on my nerves.

If the Stetson Revenger isn't "close enough for government work" then I may consider the custom hat maker route. Wonder if Dirty Billy's coud reproduce the "Little Joe" hat? Hmmmmmmm......

I just hate the custom hat maker route. I've dealt with Dirty Billy's and Greg Starbuck for years on my Civil War forage caps, but the idea of waiting months for a custom hat has just gotten on my nerves.

I just can't get my head around this...where do you live that it would take months to get a hat shaped to your liking? I can drive down to any of a dozen hat stores and walk out with one in an hour. You don't have to have the hat completely custom made to order, just buy one you like and have it creased the way you want.

1961MJS

I just can't get my head around this...where do you live that it would take months to get a hat shaped to your liking? I can drive down to any of a dozen hat stores and walk out with one in an hour. You don't have to have the hat completely custom made to order, just buy one you like and have it creased the way you want.

Hi

Just Google "Dirty Billy Hats Attitude", read and weep. I have no PERSONAL experience, but in general his reputation as a kind old gentleman is vastly overrated. My reading on Greg Starbuck is that he's nicer and therefore busier. From what I hear on Dirty Billy the best advice is to order something, pay the man, and just wait for the surprise in the mail. It may be weeks, it may be years.

Just my $0.01

Later

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The closest thing to a hat shop is where you can buy an everyday cowboy hat off the rack (along with your feed and bluejeans) and about the most they have in the way of customization is to sell you a bottle of hat stiffener.

Doc Glockster

One of the Regulars
Hi

Just Google "Dirty Billy Hats Attitude", read and weep. I have no PERSONAL experience, but in general his reputation as a kind old gentleman is vastly overrated. My reading on Greg Starbuck is that he's nicer and therefore busier. From what I hear on Dirty Billy the best advice is to order something, pay the man, and just wait for the surprise in the mail. It may be weeks, it may be years.

Just my $0.01

Later

Bill has always been polite to me. The worst I can say about his hats is that some of the tint from the forage cap sweatband may come off on your forehead in really hot weather. I've actually only waited months for a custom kepi. He keeps a lot of standard Union headwear in stock, since it's more common.

Greg Starbuck has always been fine also. I think he got the color wrong on a hat one time but that's a matter of interpretation, too.

I'd order from either one again, but usually you do have to wait six to eight weeks for a hat.

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere. The closest thing to a hat shop is where you can buy an everyday cowboy hat off the rack (along with your feed and bluejeans) and about the most they have in the way of customization is to sell you a bottle of hat stiffener.

I guess I should consider myself lucky then.

Have you thought about trying to custom shape one yourself? Something to think about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21