Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The long and winding road (another aero thread)

Hot Water Treatment of the sleeves will probably help.
I get the feeling you're putting too much into what others say here. Don't do it.
You were happy when you first posted.
So, spray the sleeves with hot water until they're good and wet all over. Put in the jacket and push up the arms. Keep it on and the sleeves pushing up til they get dry. I've even used the clothes dryer, monitoring every 10 mins.

As to talking straight, it's more east coast behavior, and I've had to tone mine down in this overly sensitive, PC world where everyone is "offended" at everything.

And... I think only taller guys with monkey arms truly understand "stork arm". We tend to overcompensate in length as longer is indeed better. ;)

schitzo

Suspended
@ Edward and Johannes

I reckon you're right. If the wait and see policy is good enough for the Euro it's good enough for me ;)

That cold water tip sounds like a real pearl, thanks. Have just tried it on again with a sweater underneath which pushed them up a fraction more (i have 20/20 vision) so I reckon one inch shorter would make em perfect.

So I'll try the cold water thing for 0.5 and may have to incorporate some sort of daily bicep curl routine (is that what they're called? You know what i mean, with weights) to get the other 0.5 off! Thinking about doing that is laughable and is making me laugh right now actually.. but laughter is good medicine and having got this close to perfection I reckon I'll do it with a smile!

Naturally any more tips for getting this 0.5 Johannes speaks of off via creases will be welcomed. I suppose in effect I just need to simulate the movements that would naturally occur during a few years worth of wear

Best wishes
Schitz

schitzo

Suspended
Hot Water Treatment of the sleeves will probably help.
I get the feeling you're putting too much into what others say here. Don't do it.
g.

I hear you Butte, but don't worry about that happening. To revise my opinion is very unlike me, but in the company of people who know what they're talking about I believe it is worth thinking about what they've said and reconsidering to see if you will still stand by that first opinion. I reconsidered and Hammer (Damn him!) was probably more right than me this time

RE: the world of PC and people being offended at everything, as Steven Fry says, 'Then be offended. Why should i care?'

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Schitzo, consider ignoring prior comments and just enjoy your new jacket. leave it alone. If it feels right, it is right. It will take awhile to conform to your body. The sleeves will tend to crease and rise. Remember that the enemy of good is better. LEAVE IT ALONE!!!

Lungomare

A-List Customer
schitzo;1470373 ... and may have to incorporate some sort of daily bicep curl routine (is that what they're called? You know what i mean said:
I do my body exercises (and even biceps curling) without wearing a FQHH jacket ;). Wear it and bend your arms a little bit more than usual (looks funny enough to get strange sights by passengers).

If you stress the arms very much you will break in the sleeves much more quickly than the rest of the jacket. You will see that "normal" use is enough to archieve the wrinkles you need to get them shorter.

Last edited:

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I don't read Wiki. I just cited it to show that my opinion was not alone in terms of sleeve length. Frankly, I just Googled the topic and put up the Wiki quote.

That leather jacket dealer I mentioned is the one I trust. Also, Aero staff. Fedora is notorious for having some very self-assured voices that recommend extremely long arms. It's almost a status thing or a culture on this site that gets handed down.

I think the FQHH arm shrinkage advice has merit. No argument there. As for a whole inch, well, I'm not sure about that. I would think a half inch is more realistic. Also, when you start spraying the arms with water, or submerging the jacket in water, you may end up accentuating bigger creases in the arms than you would expect, and not everyone likes those.

As for FQHH, a little long in the arms is a good thing, whereas really long is, well . . . really long. I wasn't trying to rattle your cage or give ya buyer's remorse. You live fairly close to Aero compared to we Yanks. Shipping's no big deal if you were to decide it doesn't fit right. Now, hang onto it for a year or so and you can't just send it back. I was merely giving you my honest opinion in an effort to help.

Hot water is a spray bottle isn't soaking it in a shower.
It stays warm at best until it hits the leather.
Many here have done it. Myself included. No stiffness whatsoever.

schitzo

Suspended
I don't read Wiki. I just cited it to show that my opinion was not alone in terms of sleeve length. Frankly, I just Googled the topic and put up the Wiki quote.

That leather jacket dealer I mentioned is the one I trust. .

I'm just joshing of course I know you don't dress according to wiki! Forget that. Your feedback has been helpful. Put it like this, when you fall in love your thinking isn't always at its clearest and sometimes you don't see the other person's faults to begin with. Well, I have fallen in love with this jacket and now your honest feedback has helped me to reach a more objective judgment. So thanks, i owe you one. On here there is a lot of back slapping but from my point of view that aint what i'm here for

I reckon these sleeves are an inch too long. Can I live with that? Sure I can. To put it into perspective this is a very small imperfection and JRrancher has made a very valid point that I can totally see the merit in.

As for hot or cold, the latter would appear to be the more cautious approach.. but Butte seems to know his onions too!

Re: the dealer you trust Hammer, I wonder what his advice for losing an inch from FQHH would be - is there any chance we can ask him? I reckon it'd be best to keep the factory out of this as it is after all only one damn inch we are talking about

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Just keep in mind that you can always make the sleeves shorter but can not make them longer. The stiff FQHH cuffs tend not to flop around your wrists like more pliable leathers do. Take with a grain of salt what anyone around here tells you, including me!

oldcrow82

One of the Regulars
Schitzo - much to be said. As a fellow cant wear off the rack guy, i think you found yourself a helluva' score. A lot of us fuss, I think because we are spending quite a bit of money (in terms of a garment) and have expectations as such. Many opinions differ about how a jacket ought to fit. My personal opinion, it's an inch too long, both sleeves and length. I wouldn't think too much about my opinion though. For a good deal on an aero that's close enough would I go for it, you bet I would.
Seems to me "not perfect" is a pretty good excuse to plan on for the next one. Cheers

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
PM me, Schitzo. I can give you the dealer's email. He's a good guy and very knowledgeable. He has a solid reputation and has helped me on several purchases of significance.

Hammer Down

One of the Regulars
I agree with Jrfrancher. The less you do to FQHH, the better. Check out Aero's website. No conditioners for at least two decades. Warm it up next to the heating vent in winter and wear it a little warm to comform to your shape. Let the rain get it wet. Let real life things help to "weather" and add character to your investment. Life is the best way to let the jacket break in. Real life, not trying so hard.

IMHO, sticking it in a washing machine, or under hot water is really not what it was designed to withstand. The folks at Aero are very knowledgeable. Amanda is whip smart and very quick to respond to emails. And if you want a second opinion on sleeve length, the dealer I know can probably help. He runs a very successful business, so it might be a week or so before he responds.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I've had great results sticking 3oz cowhide in a washing machine with soap and warm water. Really softens up the thing instantly.

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
I've had great results sticking 3oz cowhide in a washing machine with soap and warm water. Really softens up the thing instantly.

I also have used hot water. I was able to draw a size 42 Aero halfbelt up to a size 40, at least a 1/2 inch smaller in the sleeves,and 1 inch in the chest. It did not destroy the jacket, and made a jacket I couldn't have been happy with, to one I cherish and wear frequently.

Here is a picture.

P1010592Medium.jpg

This is a quote from Aero.

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/break-in.php

Aero said:
Breaking In A New Horsehide Jacket...
The 501 Method
This involves sitting in a bath of water or taking a shower in the jacket and then wearing it until it dries, this not only helps break it in but it also helps mould the jacket to your own specific shape. Best done on a warm summer's day!

When we made "used" horsehide jackets for Levi Vintage we used a similar method, completed jackets were soaked for several hours in a bath of warm water,...

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Seems to me "not perfect" is a pretty good excuse to plan on for the next one. Cheers

Thanks, but trust me old crow I don't need excuses! It aint the money that drives my OCD (as history will testify) it's that I consider it imperative to get one that fits very well if I am to invest years into wearing the bugger in.

If we accept, in line with our experiences, that 'perfect' is an unobtainable ideal then for me this one is the body I want with sleeves an inch or so too long - which ranks pretty damn high on the 'perfection' scale. I will probably take one or two more opinions from people in the know, mull em over, then make a decision. At the moment the most likely one is I'm just gonna wear it for a few months and see how that goes. I actually have an A2 in the pipeline that's imminent so if I did decide to do something to it that should tide me over

Thanks to all who lent their 2 cents, i must have almost a dollar by now

Best wishes
Schitz

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails