Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The long and winding road (another aero thread)

schitzo

Suspended
@ Jags

That is good info and from a good source. I will probably email Amanda myself anyway. My concern with this is i wonder if treating the sleeves with warm water (or cold for that matter) would make their appearance different to that of the body - which i definitely aint gonna touch

@ Butte
So how long are your monkey arms exactly? You're 6,4 right, so does that mean that in FQHH 28.5" sleeves are for you bang on?

I wear a 18/18.5 X 37 shirt. I'll measure my 50's HBD later as it's close to your style jacket and hide. I got them long - I think they're like yours in the pics. They're about perfect now with wear, HWT, and some time in the dryer. I just wish I had more time to beat it. I got it last fall and picket it up from the Aero factory. The weather was in the 30-40º range with crazy winds and rain. Then in Paris, Normandy, etc. a little warmer, but lots of wind and rain. It was three weeks straight in it and it just barely got pliable :)
I have done the sleeves only a couple times with no noticeable difference in appearance from the rest of the jacket... Only other "problem" with many jackets is that one doesn't get all the time it needs to break in. Yep, that's actually a problem lol

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
@ Jags
That is good info and from a good source. I will probably email Amanda myself anyway. My concern with this is i wonder if treating the sleeves with warm water (or cold for that matter) would make their appearance different to that of the body - which i definitely aint gonna touch

I would agree this would be something to be concerned about, and therefore would not want to chance it. If the sleeves end up being too long for your liking, the best solution would be to heve the sleeves shortened, preferably by Aero.

schitzo

Suspended
Only other "problem" with many jackets is that one doesn't get all the time it needs to break in. Yep, that's actually a problem lol

yeah i get that with some of you guys on here. Looking in at times it almost seems like an addiction. Can you stop buying jackets Butte?? I can definitely see why some of the wives aren't laughing - but rest easy soldier i'm no feminist and appreciate fully that wives are undeniably far worse offenders in the money frittering stakes. At least we move jackets on from time to time unlike those hoarders. From my end whilst realistically all out monogamy will be over ambitious once the weather turns ugly again i will strive for something close with this one. The worst 'interference' will be that I have an A2 coming soon which is gonna be a headache. Ah well, noone said it would be easy [huh]

schitzo

Suspended
I decided to send it back and have 4cm taken off to bring them down from 28.5" to just under 27". Got it back today and am pleased with the result. A few pics:

riverfestival2012017.jpg

riverfestival2012016.jpg

riverfestival2012018.jpg

Special thanks go to Hamerdown for helping me realise in a timely manner that they were too long before. Thanks!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
@Scott, and that's the incisive rapier-like wit...that eludes me ;-)
@Schizo, sounds like a good deal - and presumably no VAT!

trapp

Practically Family
That is the best fitting Aero Halfbelt I've seen, period. And it's not even broken in. Jacket length is perfect in my opinion (just a shade longer than period-correct is the most flattering/masculine). Congratulations.

I found this thread because I'm putting together an order for the 50s halfbelt myself. Schitzo, do you mind posting your height / weight?

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
I'm just a smidge under 6,2 and I weigh about 11.5 stones. If I'd have ordered myself I would have gone for 26.5" in length, but the extra inch is fine by me. A lot of people talk about how their jacket fits. For me a jacket should fit like a jacket i.e. you can wear it comfortably over your sweater, jumper etc. The dimensions of this thing are wider in the chest than i ever would have ordered for myself but when I wear it it's perfectly comfortable and I don't feel like any movements are restricted - so maybe there's a clue for you there about how these jackets fit. The front and sides are basically a highwayman i think, and this seems to be a design that can be a bit biger than you'd expect without looking too big - if that makes sense. Any more questions feel free to hit me up here

Last edited:

trapp

Practically Family
Thanks for that. Funny, I never noticed how similar the front and sides (and even sleeves) are to the stock highwayman.

I like how these jacket designs seems to allow for the jacket body to be a bit bigger without looking too big. I will also be fitting mine for a sweater underneath and, generally, I don't like tight or restrictive fits. I need that sweet spot between total comfort and yet nice lines and no real feeling of bagginess. That's why I'm looking at the 50s halfbelt (as well as the highwayman and pioneer).

trapp

Practically Family
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought I’d tack onto this one, esp. since my post deals with an Aero 50s halfbelt. I’ve been reading about Aero this past month with more energy than people put toward studying for the Bar---and I’ve learned a ton from you’all, so thanks for that.

What do you guys think of my new jacket? New to me at least—I just received it yesterday from forum member Deacon. Thanks Deacon! It’s a standard size 42 in brown fqhh with alpaca wool lining. He wore it about 50 days or so, it still stands easily on its own but it's not as stiff as a new one. Which is fine by me. No modifications were made to the jacket when it was ordered in terms of measurement (or any other details for that matter). The length is just over 25”. In these pics the sides are cinched pretty tight.

Impressions about the fit?

I know this question always leads to different opinions but I welcome those opinions. Of course, I have my own thoughts, but I’d like to hear from others.

As a side note, I’ve been working with Amanda for the past couple weeks on a custom Highwayman order. I’m hoping to use this unexpected (and very welcome) halfbelt acquisition to inform the sizing of my Highwayman, which will be fqhh with cotton drill lining. In these pics, I’m wearing a t-shirt and a medium weight sweater. That’s how I’ll wear the HWN too.

Thank you for your comments.

-trapp

lunapicfrontviewroof1.jpg

lunapiceastfaceroof1.jpg

lunapicrearviewroof1.jpg

lunapicwestfaceroof1.jpg

lunapicfrontviewroofdistance1.jpg

lunapicrearviewroofdistance1.jpg

Last edited:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
From your pictures, I don't see how you can ask for a better fit than this. Sleeve length...perfect, just how I like my sleeves. Chest, shoulders, and jacket length near perfect. Some folks might like the jacket length a tad (1/2-1") longer. Certainly not shorter. How does it feel?

schitzo

Suspended
Impressions about the fit?

Hi Trapp. I'd say that jacket looks like you could have been fitted for it in the factory. It's a bit shorter than mine isn't it, which is how aero advises they be made. Looking at yours, does it feel a bit short at the front? At the back definitely not, but at the front maybe a little bit. I dunno, it's hard to judge given that I can't make out your belt line. All in all it looks like a pretty good buy to me, and if I were you I'd definitely be holding onto it. IMO it isn't too short at the front

All of which begs the question, what's the need for a highwayman? For me it'd be this or a hghwayman, not both

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails