Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mallory The Dallas

4394706195_c44e63e257_b.jpg

4394706521_904455e220_b.jpg

The felt is comparable to a Stetson Royal De Luxe. I don't think it was ever worn...just fed to moths(under-ribbon area).

theinterchange

One Too Many
Cross Posted in the New Hat Thread

IMG_2057.jpg

IMG_2058.jpg

IMG_2059.jpg

IMG_2060.jpg

Has a union tag, and "Mallory Cravenette Aristocrat Quality" stamped on the sweat. Is the model name Cravenette? I really know very little about Mallory, I just knew I couldn't pass it up for $10, even if I only wore it as a beater.

Randy

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Here's a Mallory Ten in Premier Quality Pliafelt. From the auction photos, I was expecting kind of a light blue/gray lid -- but, as often happens when fishing in the 'Bay, this turned out to be a very pleasant surprise. Beautiful felt, with a soft finish -- a blue steel color with a lavender undertone. In fact, the wind cord itself is lavender. The ribbon is of matching felt, and has an interesting treatment, I think. Open crown is 5 1/2", and the brim width is 2 5/8". The liner is bridal satin -- incredibly smooth. Based upon the lack of a reeded sweat and some Mallory advertising (and perhaps the liner material?), I think this one could date to at least the early 40's. This one came with the original feather still attached...;)

MalloryCC-1.jpg

MalloryCC-3.jpg

M10-Liner.jpg

M10-Center.jpg

M10-Side.jpg

M10-Left.jpg

M10-Right.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
Jimmy, thats a great Mallory. First hat I've seen with a felt ribbon that I really like.

B

Thanks, buler. :) BTW, I know what you mean about the felt ribbon aspect. Generally, I'm not a real fan of the felt ribbon look, but I think it really works on this Mallory 10.

Incidentally, vintage advertising teaches us that hats with felt ribbons are all about casual weekend wear. In particular, ads from Stetson and Dobbs make it clear that felt ribbon casual lids fit right in at weekend polo matches. :D

God knows, no self respecting gentleman would want to show up at a weekend polo match, only to hear the dreaded question, "Hey! Why so formal?"
That's where felt ribbons come in, my friend...:p

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid said:
Here's a Mallory Ten in Premier Quality Pliafelt. ... I think this one could date to at least the early 40's. This one came with the original feather still attached...;)
I see that feather quickly became dettached! :D Very nice lid, Chief. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mario

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
I like that one, Mario. :)

Cheers,
JtL

Just voicing the truth, Jimmy. You see, there are some hats whose mere look can have such an impact one me - be it with a loud booming sound or something entirely else on the quiet side - that I really need to have at least the photos ready for access on my HD. This Mallory Ten is definitely one of them. It's good to know that there are hats like this in the world. Makes it a little better place immediately... ;)

Scott Wood

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Incidentally, vintage advertising teaches us that hats with felt ribbons are all about casual weekend wear. In particular, ads from Stetson and Dobbs make it clear that felt ribbon casual lids fit right in at weekend polo matches. :D

God knows, no self respecting gentleman would want to show up at a weekend polo match, only to hear the dreaded question, "Hey! Why so formal?"
That is a beautiful hat!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
I believe that you were jesting in the quote above but I have often heard it said that anyone with class would not be caught over-dressed for the occasion, whatever that might require lol

Scott Wood

Practically Family
Crossed posted in New Hats thread

Mallory Aristocrat, exactly as it came out of the box:
100_0356-1.jpg

100_0355.jpg

100_0349-1.jpg

100_0344-1.jpg

Needs a bit of cleaning, the brim edge and lining etc, but no moth chewing, worn felt or edges, unmarked sweat and the original price tag of $7.95!
Listed as a 50s([huh] ?) Mallory Aristocrat I got this virtually unworn lid for 43 bucks:D
Will post more pics as it gets cleaned up and all :D

p.s. 2 3/8" brim, 5 1/2" open crown, 1 3/4" ribbon

buler

I'll Lock Up
Scott Wood said:
Mallory Aristocrat, exactly as it came out of the box:

Needs a bit of cleaning, the brim edge and lining etc, but no moth chewing, worn felt or edges, unmarked sweat and the original price tag of $7.95!
Listed as a 50s([huh] ?) Mallory Aristocrat I got this virtually unworn lid for 43 bucks:D
Will post more pics as it gets cleaned up and all :D

p.s. 2 3/8" brim, 5 1/2" open crown, 1 3/4" ribbon

The Coast to Coast seems to have first shown up in advertising in the 50's and with the "Established 1817" and the silver paper size tag I'd say its early to mid-50s.

B

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Nice job on that one, Woody -- looks great on you. Very nice snag! :eusa_clap

Great to see a Mallory Coast-to-Coast make an appearance here.

Cheers,
JtL

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice One RLK.....

Here's my "Dallas" Mallory Ten.

Mallory.jpg

Mallory2.jpg

Mallory3.jpg

Mallory4.jpg

It's a bit moth ridden under the brim, but I think it gives it character. I love the color, and the 1 3/4" sweat is in perfect shape. The liner looks to be silk to me instead of satin,can this be? It has a union tag in it, but I cant find anything else to show its age......anybody?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Mallory remained Mallory.

Mallory hats were made by Mallory as long as Stetsons were made by Stetson.

The 5-acre Mallory Hat Factory Site was originally owned by E. A. Mallory Company to manufacture hats with fur pelts. The company started up in 1860, and ended operations in 1969, when the factory was sold to the Danbury Hat Company. In 1987, the Danbury Hat Company filed for bankruptcy, which effectively ended hat manufacturing activity on-site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred