Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

sproily

Practically Family
I bought this Mallory a while ago on ebay for a few bucks,

I think it's from the 50's or 60's because of the stingy brim and the ribbon and back bow.

The liner and size tag look very modern also.

60924976.jpg

27379233.jpg

67709227.jpg

17253757.jpg

15669467.jpg

How long have they had that union tag there?

Mario

I'll Lock Up
The backbow had a combeack in the 50's as did the stingy brim, which was very prominent in the 1930's (see this thread).

About the union tag: I can't rememer exaxtly when it came in use, but I think it's fair to say that it first appeared in the 1930's.

Given the liner, the plastic protector and the sweat I'd say your hat is a very late 50's/early 60's.

The sweat says that the felt was 'Cravenette' processed. For some reason I thought that the term went out of use earlier, but I really don't know just why I entertained that notion... [huh]

What's the measurement on the brim? Looks like 2 1/4" in the first photo.

sproily

Practically Family
The brim is just under 5cm, I'd say 4,8 or 4,9cm

It's a nice hat nevertheless! I'd want a wide brimmed one with similar proportions.

The crown has similar proportions than that of the Whippet.

Thus, I'd want a Whippet (or clone :))

metropd

One Too Many
Aureliano said:
Thanks Sue and Suitedcboy! I do wonder why Metropd let this one go. When I saw the price I snatched no second thoughts! Any idea of it's age?

I am so happy you like it! That made my night!!! Give me a call, let me know how you are doing. Always a pleasure to talk to you, and hope to see you one day in NY. Ciao.

metropd

One Too Many
Mario said:
My latest acquisition, an early 1940's (pre-Stetson) Mallory Ten Cravenette. I've already posted this in other threads, but since I started this thread and the hat is definitely a Mallory, I'll stick in here as well.

I believe this hat has never been worn before. It's in perfectly mint condition and came with the original Mallory box.

Colors
-------

Body: Deep charcoal gray
Ribbon: Dark maroon/magenta
Binding: Medium gray

Dimensions
-----------

Crown: 4 3/4" (creased)
Brim: 2 3/4"
Ribbon 1 5/8"
Binding 1/2"

Mallory-Ten-Cravenette.jpg

That has to be the most gorgeous crease on a fedora I have ever laid my eyes upon. Very aerodynamic!!!!!!!!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I think Matt is suggesting that the Mallory by Stetson hats should be left out of this thread.

billysmom

One Too Many
Mallory Aristocrat Derby

This is a big ol' derby for a 6 7/8!

DSCF1743.jpg

Maybe it's the 2 1/4" brim or perhaps the 4 1/2" crown or just that it's straight-sided and fairly flat on top ...

Anyway, it's seen some use (brim binding shows some wear) but the sweat (all 2 1/4" of it) is in great shape.

DSCF1737.jpg

DSCF1738.jpg

Mallory-derby.jpg

There's a union label:

DSCF1740.jpg

The liner would date it to the pre-Stetson era:

DSCF1741.jpg

DSCF1744.jpg

Raggedy-edged bow:

DSCF1742.jpg

And it fits!

MalloryBowler.jpg

Sue

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Mallory Porkpie

I don't normally go for porkpies, but this was so sharp and unique looking... Back bow, wind trolley, immaculate condition.

mallory1.jpg
mallory2.jpg
mallory3.jpg

billysmom

One Too Many
DoctorJ said:
I don't normally go for porkpies, but this was so sharp and unique looking... Back bow, wind trolley, immaculate condition.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/DoctorJ0014/mallory1.jpg[/QUOTE]

Very sharp! congrats!

Sue

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
billysmom said:

Ooh, I have a Mallory derby around here somewhere (7 5/8) but
it doesn't look as good on me as that does on you.

Nice phone. Always wanted one of those... Nice espresso setup, too.
At first I thought it was an Olympia Cremina, but then I noticed it has
an E61 group. What is it?

billysmom

One Too Many
:eek:fftopic: Its an Elektra A-3. Not exactly an E-61, but same principle. We bought it before prices went insane... :rolleyes: I also have a little Olympia Cremina for the days when I have time to get into the Zen of the lever.

Sue

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
billysmom said:
:eek:fftopic: Its an Elektra A-3. Not exactly an E-61, but same principle. We bought it before prices went insane... :rolleyes: I also have a little Olympia Cremina for the days when I have time to get into the Zen of the lever.

Sue
Sorry to be off-topic (I promise to post my Mallory derby in penance)...

My father had the Cremina. We never could get it right...

My setup is here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=767243&postcount=37

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brown Mallory Derby - Otter?

Found this at an antique store today - looks to be very old and made of Otter. Also interesting: liner tip says 'Designed and Made for Frank E. Hunt, Mt. Vernon, Wash.' (I bought it just a few miles from Mt. Vernon).

MallorySide.jpg

MallorySweat.jpg

MalloryLinerTip.jpg

MalloryTags.jpg

MalloryBow.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Brown Mallory Derby - Otter?

Found this at an antique store today - looks to be very old and made of Otter. Also interesting: liner tip says 'Designed and Made for Frank E. Hunt, Mt. Vernon, Wash.' (I bought it just a few miles from Mt. Vernon).

MallorySide.jpg

MallorySweat.jpg

MalloryLinerTip.jpg

MalloryTags.jpg

MalloryBow.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff