Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Well I took a chance with a reblock at a local Western store, and although it's not pristine like the state in which I received it, it's certainly an improvement. The guy even gave it a bit of a long oval stretch for me and didn't charge me a dime. I'm happy with the results. I wish he replaced sweatbands-- I'd have a considerable amount more business for him.
Anyway, in it's current state: Mallory Torino Derby
malloryreblocked.jpg
[/IMG]
malloryfront.jpg
[/IMG]

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Liner and sweatband on this one still intact and in place. I'm not exactly sure what kind of process this guy used, but most of the raised striations, wrinkles, and ketchup stains that occurred on the felt after it was dropped in warm dirty dishwater are gone.

[I thought I had posted photos of this earlier somewhere, both from when I received it and after the dishwater incident, but I can't seem to locate them anywhere.]

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
imgp037722.jpg
[/IMG]

I thought maybe it compared to the Mallory ads of the early 60s? It's definitely a warm color.
I think I'd vote sand over silverbelly, unless perhaps we're asking Akubra lately. ;)

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
This was from Easter. It seemed to go well with that coat, while my Beaver Brand silverbelly probably would not.
059lc.jpg
[/IMG]

An earlier photo of my BB silverbelly and BB sand next to each other for comparison:
029r.jpg
[/IMG]

The Mallory is very similar in color to the one on the right.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
So this is a bowler after Stetson purchased Mallory. Nice color and bowler still. I collect the Youthful Smartness Mallory when purchasing Mallory hats.

I suppose so-- most of you are far better with hat history than me. I don't think I've experienced the Youthful Smartness yet-- the only other Mallory in my experience is a 1934 bowler. The only reason I say that is because there were pieces of a 1934 newpaper clipping from somewhere in IL padding the sweatband when I received it, and I think the logo matches up. (?)
imgp9391.jpg
[/IMG]

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I like those Beaver Brand hats, do you have pics of those on your head? The bowler looks cool (pun intended)
especially for summer wear. I like the light color on it.

Thanks, Perry. I'm fond of them too, but the more I experience high quality and/or vintage fedora felts (I'm still relatively new in that department), the stiffer the BB's seem.

Here are some noggin shots taken sometime during the past 7 months:
imgp9193.jpg
[/IMG]

p2190386.jpg
[/IMG]

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mallory Plastic Felt

It wasn't just Stetson marketing a "plastic" hat. Missed this auction for a Mallory Plastic Felt. Listed as 25% vinyon, 75% wool. According to wiki, vinyon was invented in 1939. Many of the google books hits on vinyon are from the 40's.

B

mallory_plastic_felt_1.jpg

mallory_plastic_felt_2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara