Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE MALLORY MILE

MondoFW

Practically Family
Whew, finally I'm able to share this lid. Here's a Mallory "Ten" I just picked up, alongside another awesome "Ten"!. The olive green/copper color combo is just amazing, and more versatile than many would think. The felt on this hat is just sound, as expected from a Mallory of this era. Honestly, I can't really note any flaws other than the stupid signature of a previous owner....:rolleyes:, anyways here are the pics!
50d9f736-a1ae-4ed7-ad1f-8eead3d42289.jpg
822499bb-ab87-4bf9-80fd-eb205a2654cb.jpg
14feb408-793a-491c-9773-61b3fd6036e5.jpg
14e21b85-6406-4e19-9210-4719e08e4f91.jpg
ea273c8a-a54d-4050-a30e-bd971a3c362b.jpg
52a945a7-7e9b-4ad7-a429-5f242297c879.jpg
04f69dba-93d5-4cb5-870b-e2ea49e02a16.jpg
80cc298d-e489-4dc7-9e71-2f994af24c7d.jpg
6164f00d-ebc7-4136-b67f-b31bf3ca1892.jpg

Searching the innards of the hat, I found this hat union label. Not sure of the date range of this particular label, but knowing that this is a 40's hat and because of the updated establishment date on the crest, this is most definitely post-1946.

EDIT: pics are a little bright, sorry bout that. I suppose this is a shining star :D

Whew, finally I'm able to share this lid. Here's a Mallory "Ten" I just picked up, alongside another awesome "Ten"!. The olive green/copper color combo is just amazing, and more versatile than many would think. The felt on this hat is just sound, as expected from a Mallory of this era. Honestly, I can't really note any flaws other than the stupid signature of a previous owner....:rolleyes:, anyways here are the pics!
View attachment 133604 View attachment 133605 View attachment 133607 View attachment 133610 View attachment 133611 View attachment 133612 View attachment 133613 View attachment 133608 View attachment 133606
Searching the innards of the hat, I found this hat union label. Not sure of the date range of this particular label, but knowing that this is a 40's hat and because of the updated establishment date on the crest, this is most definitely post-1946.

EDIT: pics are a little bright, sorry bout that. I suppose this is a shining star :D

You’re killing me with these hats! Such nice pieces in such wonderful condition. Keep this up and you’ll be required to be a dentist and move to Mexico City. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 133604 View attachment 133605 View attachment 133607 View attachment 133610 View attachment 133611 View attachment 133612 View attachment 133613 View attachment 133608 View attachment 133606

You rock! That brim is to die for Mondo. Looks like it is in super condition, very impressed. There is a specific dating thread around here for the union label. Although I think the range is fairly large and not a lot of help. It does have the look of an early 50s hat. Is there a price tag? If it says O.P.S. somewhere on it, 1950-1953.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

Stellar hat Mondo!!
You def got the look!
B

MondoFW

Practically Family
You’re killing me with these hats! Such nice pieces in such wonderful condition. Keep this up and you’ll be required to be a dentist and move to Mexico City. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you so much, Brent! No endeavor of mine will ever trump the tenacity of Max's collecting! First I have to get some wear out of what I have now, that's how I see it :D
You rock! That brim is to die for Mondo. Looks like it is in super condition, very impressed. There is a specific dating thread around here for the union label. Although I think the range is fairly large and not a lot of help. It does have the look of an early 50s hat. Is there a price tag? If it says O.P.S. somewhere on it, 1950-1953.
Thank you, Red. Nope, no price tag to be found. As the style of the hat is very "bold look" era, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being early 50s rather than 40s.
Stellar hat Mondo!!
You def got the look!
B
Great to hear that from you, Bowen. I feel like I made a very fine choice with this beaut

Thank you, Red. Nope, no price tag to be found. As the style of the hat is very "bold look" era, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of it being early 50s rather than 40s.

Another technique to dating can be the store that the hat was sold in. Sleuthing out the history of the retail establishment sometimes shows open/close dates. Problem it, usually the hat falls right in the middle. But it is cool to capture that history. No matter what the age this is a stellar lid!

Historians use a "Circa" dating system, you often see c.1950 for example. It is generally accepted that the circa date can be 5 years earlier or later. I think c.1950 is right on for this hat. I would go with that.

Excellent hat and a great find, Mondo. Having to accept that I can't buy all the hats in my size, seeing the good ones that don't end up with me go to a fellow lounger is the next best thing:). As far as colour combinations go, I find that hats in general are very forgiving actually and can be combined with either the suit, the shoes, the tie or none at all and still work.

Very nice pick up, Mondo. Great look.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Excellent hat and a great find, Mondo. Having to accept that I can't buy all the hats in my size, seeing the good ones that don't end up with me go to a fellow lounger is the next best thing:). As far as colour combinations go, I find that hats in general are very forgiving actually and can be combined with either the suit, the shoes, the tie or none at all and still work.
Thanks a lot, fellow size 7'er! I too am proud to see the good ones go to you when they do. Regarding color combos, olive green is what I'd consider a difficult color. It's a beautiful color for a hat, but lacks the versatility of a gray hat, or even a brown for that matter. After realizing the Mallory didn't pair too well with my gray flannel suit, I decided to refer to late 40's Stetson ads. I've learned that brown, tan suits and outfits with fall color palettes compliment a fine green hat. You wear suits more often than I do, I reckon, so I ask what your choices would be?

Thanks a lot, fellow size 7'er! I too am proud to see the good ones go to you when they do. Regarding color combos, olive green is what I'd consider a difficult color. It's a beautiful color for a hat, but lacks the versatility of a gray hat, or even a brown for that matter. After realizing the Mallory didn't pair too well with my gray flannel suit, I decided to refer to late 40's Stetson ads. I've learned that brown, tan suits and outfits with fall color palettes compliment a fine green hat. You wear suits more often than I do, I reckon, so I ask what your choices would be?
You're asking the wrong person here I'm afraid. I'm actually colourblind so almost all my suits are either blue or grey. And almost all my hats are brown, grey, black (and a few blues). I think I have three green hats in total (and I have a lot of hats) and those get sadly neglected most of the time. They do go well with tweeds though. Odd tweed jackets usually have lots of colours in them and are great wearing in fall weather. The Mallory should go perfectly with that.
Wearing a suit and a hat you'll be the best dressed man out there on most occasions anyway!

A green T-Shirt:D

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up

I missed this post, Mondo.
Here is my Mallory Ten. I bought it from Moon. Just had it conformed to my head, and had the ribbon cleaned and reattached. It fits like a dream now.
9fd404da2b5ae426392a54b0dd686736.jpg
0fec932c370e183e3420fe26135a6bd6.jpg
ee19b66c45a72371d64823b5004f11da.jpg
fa77098aa4d3a117ded35f25b3dfe1da.jpg

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Mallory Ten "Commander." In looking around, I can find little information on this model. The Mallory MADness thread has an ad dating from 1945 showing the Commander, and @Richard Morgan has an unlined version. Since this one doesn't have the normal liner tip, there is no clue from the 1823/1817 designation. I cannot post a photo of the reorder tag; it's buried too deep into the sweatband stitching, but I believe the Union tag as a slanted "bug," which is the older variety. It was originally purchased at Mabley & Carew in Cincinnati, which was a department store that had a life from the turn of the 20th Century until the late 70s. I found this in a lot with several other hats labeled 7 1/8 and 7 1/4. Fortunately, a slight nudge of about a millimeter made this one a great fit.

Picture80.jpg
Picture79.jpg
Picture78.jpg
Picture75.jpg
Picture74.jpg
Picture73.jpg
Picture77.jpg
Picture76.jpg

Head Shot

Picture72.jpg

Attachments

• Picture82.jpg
    Picture82.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 976
Mallory Ten "Commander." In looking around, I can find little information on this model. The Mallory MADness thread has an ad dating from 1945 showing the Commander, and @Richard Morgan has an unlined version. Since this one doesn't have the normal liner tip, there is no clue from the 1823/1817 designation. I cannot post a photo of the reorder tag; it's buried too deep into the sweatband stitching, but I believe the Union tag as a slanted "bug," which is the older variety. It was originally purchased at Mabley & Carew in Cincinnati, which was a department store that had a life from the turn of the 20th Century until the late 70s. I found this in a lot with several other hats labeled 7 1/8 and 7 1/4. Fortunately, a slight nudge of about a millimeter made this one a great fit.

View attachment 139126 View attachment 139125 View attachment 139124 View attachment 139121 View attachment 139120 View attachment 139119 View attachment 139123 View attachment 139122

Head Shot

View attachment 139129
Fantastic find, Jim. The name alone makes it worth it. Nice colour and good proportions. Lovely.

Steinbockhase

Practically Family

View attachment 139129

I like the name "Commander"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ