Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Merry Christmas and did you get anything outstanding thread!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I was lucky enough to receive a 1:32 scale model of the Supermarine Type 300, which is now performing a shallow starboard turn over the crystal cabinet. Over on the 'To Read' pile is a copy of Alex Henshaw's Sigh for A Merlin, which came with it. I am a happy boy.

Best wishes and a very merry Christmas to you all from myself and the cat.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Among quite the haul, I received this -
image.aspx

It's a Duluth Trading Company 'Conductor's Watch' and it is smashing!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Well, the ghost of Christmas past didn't stop by with any vintage things for me. However I did manage to receive the Ken Burns DVD set "The War" and my gal got a few vintage perfume atomizer bottles and jewelery. The best part of the day was just spending time with my family! Hope everyone else had a Merry Christmas.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
Ah, I just want people to share their greatest holiday joy be it expensive, cheap, sentimental. There is no price one can put on the joy of something special given or recieved, even if its something as simple as someone baking you your fav. cake or pie.

I usually get money, because no one will shop for me. They don't bother to ask what would I like, they just give me a card with money. It is almost like not getting a gift, even though people are very generous, on occasion. I would love it if someone went to a thrift or antique store & bought me something for $20 that I wouldn't have spent $20 on if I was buying it for myself (I usually budget myself when shopping, and rarely spend more than $5 on something). When I do get shopped-for gifts, it usually leaves me thinking "I'd rather have cash..."

carter

I'll Lock Up
I received the best gift of all. All my kids were together for Christmas.

Everyone received cozy new Acorn slippers and it just got better from there. You just can't beat having everyone together for a few days of watching old movies, eating, and enjoying one another.

Even the dog, Molly, got a new sweater!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
KittyT said:
Because I find that most people completely fail to think about things like this altogether, unless someone points it out to them.

I'll gently point out that many of us could as easily afford to go to Peru as to Mars.

(Which is evidenced by the number of "some nerve!" PM's I am getting.)

Bad form, that.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
My family gathering was very small and low key today, it was really lovely. My dad put together a shadow-box for me, it contains a picture of myself (at 2ish?) with my mother, and two pictures of myself at the same age holding a pink rabbit and wearing a little grey and pink dress mother made for me. What makes it wonderful is that the box ALSO contains the dress and the rabbit. Mother passed away in 1993, so things that help us remember her at Christmastime are extra special.

I found this outstanding, and there's not a bit of consumerism to it!

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I got some nice sweaters--nothing fancy--as well as an Intellitouch tuner (it clips on to tune instruments), some strings, and other things. The nice things for me are that people were together and doing fairly well, considering, that life seems to be back on track after a tough time, and that the gifts I gave all seemed to be pretty good choices.

Edit/add: By the way, there are a lot of really nice, very moving stories here. Thanks. For instance, the shadowbox sounds like a brilliant gift.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
My husband got me an 8 gig iPod Nano. I only have 246 songs in it so far, but most of them are from the 20s and 30s!

I really wanted one for work -- we're allowed to listen to Mp3 players and I figured it would be a great way to drown out whiney co-workers! Other than that, I don't have much use for it so I *hope* they don't change the Mp3 player rule anytime soon!!

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
As usual...

...my favorite was one of the smallest items. I got a Simpson travel shaving brush. It's a tiny little thing that almost looks like a toy, but is amazingly effective.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KittyT said:
Because I find that most people completely fail to think about things like this altogether, unless someone points it out to them.

You have an interesting way of boycotting a thread.

K

killertomata

I got a few really nice surprises... my favorites being:

An antique silver button hooker for my Victorian button boots. Much easier to button with the hooker than with the fingertips!

and

People Take Warning! Murder Ballads & Disaster Songs 1913-1938 - which I learned about here and then mentioned on my journal and a little Christmas fairy bought it for me. :D

And my cozy new robe is a favorite too. I needed one!

It's been a lovely but very sedate holiday season. Which is fine, but I missed my sister who's in another state this year, and her kids, and my boyfriend's father somehow is still alive, so we're praying/thinking/wishing for his painless demise soon.

carter

I'll Lock Up
pdxvintagette said:
My family gathering was very small and low key today, it was really lovely. My dad put together a shadow-box for me, it contains a picture of myself (at 2ish?) with my mother, and two pictures of myself at the same age holding a pink rabbit and wearing a little grey and pink dress mother made for me. What makes it wonderful is that the box ALSO contains the dress and the rabbit. Mother passed away in 1993, so things that help us remember her at Christmastime are extra special.

I found this outstanding, and there's not a bit of consumerism to it!

What a wonderful and heartfelt gift!

I recently saw two shadow-boxes that Dutch Art Gallery in Dallas was assembling for a family. One contained WWII memorabilia and the other contained 1940's college/university items.

I gave my daughter two shadow-boxes for Christmas. One holds four academic decathlon medals from the fifth grade and the other holds a small pin (2' x 2 1/2') of a gold artist's palette and brush set with semiprecious stones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24