Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Merry Christmas and did you get anything outstanding thread!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I have a PanamaBob on its way from Ecuador, too! (MK should be getting a commission on all the business he's generating for various people!) I bought myself a genuine Fair Isle sleeveless pullover sweater, hand knit by authentic old ladies in Fair Isle, Scotland. It hasn't arrived yet, but it should be here soon, and pictures WILL BE POSTED! And I won a vintage homburg last night on Ebay, which is also a sort of present to myself.
My brother told me he got me a totally great incredible drop dead fabulous thing that I'm going to love, and he hopes he'll get it to me by like February (he didn't say which year.) I likewise have a cool thing for him that I promised I would get to him before the next presidential election. :p
I didn't get many presents, but I had a wonderful Christmas, so I'm very very happy.
I feel sorry for the Grinches of this world!!!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Usually, I don't get much -- Christmas just isn't a big holiday deal to me anyway -- but this year I was very pleased to get a book I've been meaning to read, the new biography of cartoonist Charles Schulz. And last night, as I was reading it I was surprised to see that I was *cited in the end notes.* Apparently the author consulted some of my radio writings to fill in the background on young Sparky's listening habits.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'm dogsitting for a friend so she, my dog and I stayed in bed most of Christmas morning. They were zonked out as I read the paper and watched movies. I don't get to do that too often.:)

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Quigley Brown said:
I'm dogsitting for a friend so she, my dog and I stayed in bed most of Christmas morning. They were zonked out as I read the paper and watched movies. I don't get to do that too often.:)

Funny enough I did/am doing the same. This is the first time I've been away from friends and family on Christmas. So I was feeling nostalgic and went to Christmas Eve church service. The next day hung out with the dog and we watched Christmas in Connecticut. Then went and saw Sweeney Todd... best Christmas movie ever!
Best gift I got was a case of homemade jam from my mom back home.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Foofoogal said:
I also got a nostalgic record player thing. It was the only thing I really wanted. :eusa_clap

Which one did you end up getting? I've looked at several of those, and if I did not have a phonograph that's a family heirloom, I would most certainly have a reproduction model for nostalgic purposes. Some of those look really neat.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
Quigley Brown said:

The 'she' was my friend's dog...not my friend.:eek:

HoneyBee

New in Town
Hey, my third post! Just thought I'd chime in on this thread, as my Christmas was really nice. Disneyland annual passes for my boyfriend and me, and as a present to myself I reserved us seats on the James Ellroy-guided Los Angeles bus tour coming up this Saturday. I am so excited!!

Neither of us really *need* anything, so this was perfect.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
HoneyBee said:
as a present to myself I reserved us seats on the James Ellroy-guided Los Angeles bus tour coming up this Saturday. I am so excited!!

Oh, wow! You've got to post about that experience--it should be great.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Christmas has a special meaning for my family. Three years ago yesterday (Christmas day) my mom had a stroke while we were all in her living room opening presents. She had to have brain surgery to remove the golf ball sized clot, and lots of rehab..... but we still have her. She's not 100%, but she's here and content with what she has. (She's pretty functional for how serious her stroke was.) So, Christmas is a day of celebration for us at getting to keep her for one more year. We used to have a big fancy meal (stressful!), and a lot of high expectations of what gifts we wanted. Now.... it's all about being together as a whole family. The only person that was missing was my brother-in-law that died (peacefully) last week.

$ally

One Too Many
Babydoll said:
Christmas has a special meaning for my family. Three years ago yesterday (Christmas day) my mom had a stroke while we were all in her living room opening presents. She had to have brain surgery to remove the golf ball sized clot, and lots of rehab..... but we still have her. She's not 100%, but she's here and content with what she has. (She's pretty functional for how serious her stroke was.) So, Christmas is a day of celebration for us at getting to keep her for one more year. We used to have a big fancy meal (stressful!), and a lot of high expectations of what gifts we wanted. Now.... it's all about being together as a whole family. The only person that was missing was my brother-in-law that died (peacefully) last week.

What a beautiful miracle! Thank you for sharing that with us.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
It really is. It was a big wake up call for the entire family as to how important we are to one another. Gifts are just extra (unnecessary) stuff. The people in our lives are what matter.

(And the fancy meal? Yeah, it's a pizza PARTY now. Bring on the celebration!)

HoneyBee

New in Town
imoldfashioned said:
Oh, wow! You've got to post about that experience--it should be great.

I will definitely post a little something about it! I don't know how many other Ellroy fans are on here but he's one of my favorites, I can't wait to hear what he has to say.

Foofoogal

Banned
Babydoll.
First I am sorry to hear about the loss of your brother-in-law.
In 2001 we buried my mother-in-law (that was like a mom to me as I knew her since I was 4) on Christmas Eve who had a sudden heart attack a few days earlier. Amazingly we all had for first time ever got together for Christmas on the 9th.
I shall always think of others who may be in same state around Christmas and say a little prayer. Life is so precious and for sure family is much more than presents.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Usually, I don't get much -- Christmas just isn't a big holiday deal to me anyway -- but this year I was very pleased to get a book I've been meaning to read, the new biography of cartoonist Charles Schulz. And last night, as I was reading it I was surprised to see that I was *cited in the end notes.* Apparently the author consulted some of my radio writings to fill in the background on young Sparky's listening habits.
What a LOVELY and WONDERFUL surprise! Merry Christmas!

$ally

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
I shall always think of others who may be in same state around Christmas and say a little prayer. Life is so precious and for sure family is much more than presents.
You said it. The rest is just stuff. Maybe some really cool stuff, but not what really matters.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Our favorite Christmas tree ornament is a hand written one on copy paper with various colors of magic marker. It says "Tis the Season" on the outside. Inside it reminds us to be grateful and thankful for what s important.
It was mailed to use by a dear friend whose husband was recovering from a sudden brain hemorrhage at the time. It gets a special spot on the tree every year since.

A woman I work with buried her father Christmas Eve this year.

Not to minimize how great it is to get PRESENTS. :D But that's not what matters.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
OK, I got a shirt and some shaving cream. Nothing HUGE, but it's a shirt I had been wanting.

Half the fun for me is seeing what others got. And part of what we do here is share the interesting things we own or admire or would like to collect. Whether you got a 1938 Packard limo, a solid gold Rolex, a pair of socks, a new lipstick or some pretty leaves your SO found outside someplace, please show it off if it pleases you. I hope we can share our pleasure and happy surprises.

I'm going to show off the cool boots I got someone else in another thread. I need help identifying them!

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
killertomata said:
I got a few really nice surprises... my favorites being:

An antique silver button hooker for my Victorian button boots. Much easier to button with the hooker than with the fingertips!

and

People Take Warning! Murder Ballads & Disaster Songs 1913-1938 - which I learned about here and then mentioned on my journal and a little Christmas fairy bought it for me. :D
I'm glad I read this. I love murder ballads and disaster songs and looking at that set I am only familiar with about four of those songs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters