Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Merry Christmas and did you get anything outstanding thread!

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Vintage hankies!

Which I got from our Fedoran, Miss 1940s! we sent each other presents this year even though we have never met in person, which is really cool.

I can't wait till she sees what I sent...

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Usually, I don't get much -- Christmas just isn't a big holiday deal to me anyway -- but this year I was very pleased to get a book I've been meaning to read, the new biography of cartoonist Charles Schulz. And last night, as I was reading it I was surprised to see that I was *cited in the end notes.* Apparently the author consulted some of my radio writings to fill in the background on young Sparky's listening habits.

Lizzie, I got that book, also! It was on my amazon wish list. I'll look for your credit. :) Congrats!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
La la la (but I won't be the one singing)

Nathaniel gave me a beautiful velvet opera coat that he caught me lusting after in an antique store back in July, so that was really exciting. The velvet has a diamond pattern cut to it, I can't figure out a better way to describe it but I will post a pick later. He also picked up a neat book on 1940s fashion from the Sears catalog. And my practical gift was a gas gift card :)
IMG_4542.jpg

Hondo

One Too Many
Barbigirl said:
Nathaniel gave me a beautiful velvet opera coat that he caught me lusting after in an antique store back in July, so that was really exciting. The velvet has a diamond pattern cut to it, I can't figure out a better way to describe it but I will post a pick later. He also picked up a neat book on 1940s fashion from the Sears catalog. And my practical gift was a gas gift card :)

What a lucky girl, very thoughtful guy,
hold on to him, merry chrsitmas!!! :eusa_clap

ShortClara

One Too Many
I got a laptop! You could have knocked me over when I opened that puppy up! Holy Jebus!

I want a new job, desperately, and if I can, want to try to sell vintage on eBay full time. This laptop will really really help me in that regard, so I very very grateful to my wonderful hubby! He loved his iPhone, too! Set it up about 20 mins after opening it LOL

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
My parents bought me some wonderful things on their last trip to London (frequent flier miles accumulate fast with my dad's business trips!)--I received a book on the exhibit at the V&A, a gorgeous 50s-style outfit of a plaid circle skirt, sweater and short jacket, and makeup from B. My brother found a art nouveau-styled peacock box for me, and bought Paris je t'aime as well (so did my best friend--we saw it together in Paris, so the film means a lot). It was a wonderful Christmas, and it looks like everyone else had a wonderful holiday as well. Now, off to the new year!

The Shirt

Practically Family
Well my mother surprised the family with an unbelievable gift. We lost our father a few years ago and apparently they had been planning on taking the family on a cruise to celebrate their 45th anniversary. She decided that despite him not being there - family and creating the memories together is what she longed most for. Next year we will be celebrating their lives together somewhere on the seas. :) I take much more pleasure in giving than receiving most times - but to be honest I cannot wait to get together again in the sun.

I walked the woods behind the house and gathered pinecones and the neices and nephews and myself created ornaments to decorate a small pine tree that we placed at his gravesite. I think that creating some sort of touchstone activity that includes his memory is what sometimes gets me through missing him terribly over the holidays. My condolences to all who have lost someone dear close to this season. I think the shadowbox idea is very touching.

ShortClara

One Too Many
deadpandiva said:
^Good luck in the new career. I call that a dream job. I would love to sell vintage. I could spend all my time at Estate sales.

:eek:fftopic: Thanks! We'll see how it goes. The hubby is skeptical about the amount of $$ I can bring in - it's expensive to live in So. Cal. I may ease into it and hope for the best. I have been selling on and off the past year, so I definitely have my feet wet. But I want a gig I can do when we have a little one, whenever that is!

ShortClara

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
Well my mother surprised the family with an unbelievable gift. We lost our father a few years ago and apparently they had been planning on taking the family on a cruise to celebrate their 45th anniversary. She decided that despite him not being there - family and creating the memories together is what she longed most for. Next year we will be celebrating their lives together somewhere on the seas. :) I take much more pleasure in giving than recieving most times - but to be honest I cannot wait to get together again in the sun.

I think that sounds wonderful! Sorry for your loss.

Flivver

Practically Family
I got several great things.

My Secret Santa at work got me the book "On The Air", The Encyclopedia of Old Time Radio. I'll be reading it for months...a great reference book.

And my cousin (who always gets me vintage oriented gifts) got me a pair of framed photographs from the 1901 Pan American Exposition in Buffalo. They show the same view during the day, and at night.

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
This was the first time in our five years together Ace spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with my family. Usually, we do Christmas Eve with his family and Christmas day with mine, but because of his travel schedule between shows it worked out differently this year. It was so nice for me to be able to share ALL of my family's traditions with him! I think that made me a very lucky gal this year and the icing on the cake was when he gave me a beautiful bracelet Christmas morning that came in that special little blue box!

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Ms. McGraw said:
This was the first time in our five years together Ace spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with my family. Usually, we do Christmas Eve with his family and Christmas day with mine, but because of his travel schedule between shows it worked out differently this year. It was so nice for me to be able to share ALL of my family's traditions with him! I think that made me a very lucky gal this year and the icing on the cake was when he gave me a beautiful bracelet Christmas morning that came in that special little blue box!

:eusa_clap
He did good...but bakelite doesn't come in a "little blue box".lol
Althought a girl can't live on bakelite alone...

patrick1987

One of the Regulars
My beautiful roommate copied for me the off white dinner jacket I coveted that belonged to my friend her dad. As I am about 10 inches taller than he was she tailored me my own and it fits beautifully. It was a surprise!

hotrod_elf

A-List Customer
My grandma ROCKS

I went to Georgia to see my family. I got somethings that I was not expecting at all. My Grandma gave me 3 of her vintage aprins and some buttons. Then we were helping her clean out her garage and she has an old singer treadle sewing machine. My aunt is inherting it, but she does not sew anymore, my name got put in it. "When Aunt Lollie V kicks the bucket, Erin shall recieve this machine" It belonged to my Great-Grandmother. Now that was the best present ever.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24