Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Thanks so much! I posted a new thread on needing curler advice, and if I can get that taken care of (no point in cutting it if I can't set it!!) I think I am going to cut it this weekend. Thanks for all of the help and the tutorial. Doing it myself definitely fits better in our budget.:D

You're most welcome. Not only does it fit into our budgets, we can get exactly the cut we want :)

I whipped through the thread and found some great results pictures. All these ladies used the tutorial: CherryRed, FaintlyMacabre, wahine, swinggal, Daimere, Lenore, and AdrianLvsRocky. A few more did, but the pictures are either gone or never posted. Great job, everyone!

wahine

Practically Family
I tried 3 different hair dressers now, always equipped with photos, sketches aso., asking them for a middy.
Can you believe I got the best result when I did it myself with the instructions of C-Dot?!
Why is it so hard to find a hair dresser who's capable of just doing that. The last one even has a shop decorated with pictures from the good old days, Hilde Knef, Marlene Dietrich pix, old movie seats in the waiting area. She said she's a big fan of the old times and knows exactly what I want. Well, I went out with the worst middy imitation one can imagine.
SIGH

wahine

Practically Family
Well, if even a professional can't make another professional understand what is meant, I'm no longer surprised that no one understands me :( ;)
But it's a bit sad that the hair dressers never believe when you say that it's supposed to be done differently. I mean, of course they're the pros and I'm just the customer. But it seems in this matter, they're usually wrong (which doesn't necessarily mean I'm right)
as an example: I told the last hair dresser to cut the back in a prolonged U-shape. She said that's the wrong way to do it, it wouldn't come out right, and she cut it more or less in a straight horizontal line, only "rounded the corners" a bit. Well, I told you the result two postings earlier.

Antje

One Too Many
The most interesting is, we have alot of old ladies at our salon and it seems that I'm doing practicly all those ladies, just because I know what we are talking

Smumo

New in Town
You're most welcome. Not only does it fit into our budgets, we can get exactly the cut we want :)

I whipped through the thread and found some great results pictures. All these ladies used the tutorial: CherryRed, FaintlyMacabre, wahine, swinggal, Daimere, Lenore, and AdrianLvsRocky. A few more did, but the pictures are either gone or never posted. Great job, everyone!
I did it too. I love it. I've gotten so many compliments already and it's only my 2nd day in.

Vintage Rose

New in Town
I am probably the only person who has botched this up.:( I think I under cut the long part and I cut too wide a swath for the bangs. Consequently I looked like one of those late sixties mom's with the big poof around the top of the head and the little flip at the bottom. I set up an appointment for a hair cut tomorrow. I've been trying to gather as much info for the stylist as possible. What are the very best links/pics/instructions to give my stylist. If anyone has seen the middy type cut styled from Elegant Musings I really would like that. Sigh.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I am probably the only person who has botched this up.:( I think I under cut the long part and I cut too wide a swath for the bangs. Consequently I looked like one of those late sixties mom's with the big poof around the top of the head and the little flip at the bottom.

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that! It sounds to me like your lengths might be disproportionate. As I said, it's better to leave it alone than try to fix it.

If I were you I would take the Elegant Musings picture to your stylist if it's exactly what you want. Just because its a cartoon, doesn't mean its a bad representation :)

TheRedSquare

New in Town
C-dot- Would your tutorial work on longer length hair? I am really itching for a shorter do' but I'm not sure if Im ready to take the plunge yet. Currently my longer U-shaped, layered cut isn't holding my sets very well. After excessive brushing and hairspray, ect, my hair always falls back into ringlets. I wonder if my style would hold better taking off the length.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
C-dot- Would your tutorial work on longer length hair? I am really itching for a shorter do' but I'm not sure if Im ready to take the plunge yet. Currently my longer U-shaped, layered cut isn't holding my sets very well. After excessive brushing and hairspray, ect, my hair always falls back into ringlets. I wonder if my style would hold better taking off the length.

It sure would. My hair is about 14 inches long in the back, and I've been doing it since it was about 5 inches long. I also used a variation of the cut on my recent 23 inch extensions (I had them in my profile picture, but they were pinned up) and it worked just fine.

The tutorial, in essence, will add layering and a basic U-shape to your hair that will lend itself better to sets - It's the angles, not the measured lengths, that are important, since you can do any combination of lengths on each section. In short, you can do it any length you want! I have found that with more layering, my hair does not go back into ringlets either, which it used to.

If you do try it, be sure to post your results :)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of combinations in length, here is a page from Daniela Turudich's 1940's Hairstyles explaining combination cuts, and showing the graduation in layers. This diagram heavily inspired the tutorial:

combinationcuts.jpg

ETA: If it's a little too small, here is the direct link.

Last edited:

BoPeep

Practically Family
Must just take this opportunity to say thank you for being so generous with your information, C-dot. You've come back year after year, to explain this to all the newbies (that would include me). It is so much appreciated! Know that you've improved the Middy across the world! lol

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Must just take this opportunity to say thank you for being so generous with your information, C-dot. You've come back year after year, to explain this to all the newbies (that would include me). It is so much appreciated! Know that you've improved the Middy across the world! lol

Awh shucks, that really gave me a lift :) Thank you, and everyone else, for giving it a try!

Vintage Rose

New in Town
I'd like to say thanks to everyone on here who have given tips etc., and yes, definitely C-dot who was very patient with my questions. I went to a stylist armed with all of the things people said here, diagrams, pictures, and such and got a GREAT haircut! I followed the brush out tutorial posted in the beauty section here and I am a happy camper. I had my hubby snap a photo. If I can figure out how to get a picture on here, I'll load it up. Woo Hoo!

zombi

A-List Customer
I so want to try this, but I'm too scared to cut my own hair. I have emotional attachments to my hair. It is NOT okay if it's not right. I WON'T be okay if I mess it up. And I have trouble communicating with stylists!
My hair right now is just long layers. I'm trying to grow out my bangs so I can do a more Lauren Bacall sort of wave, but I am going to have to lose some length at some point in order to better vintage style, and I think a middy is the best option. I just don't know what to do!

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I so want to try this, but I'm too scared to cut my own hair. I have emotional attachments to my hair. It is NOT okay if it's not right. I WON'T be okay if I mess it up. And I have trouble communicating with stylists!
My hair right now is just long layers. I'm trying to grow out my bangs so I can do a more Lauren Bacall sort of wave, but I am going to have to lose some length at some point in order to better vintage style, and I think a middy is the best option. I just don't know what to do!

That's quite the dilemma. I would never push anyone to try the tutorial who isn't willing to overcome the initial discomfort of cutting their own hair, and by extension, who is rattled by the possibility of error.

Work on your communication with stylists. Most modern hairdressers don't quite "get" what it is we're going for, and sorry to say, but they tend to think they know best. I've seen it happen many times.
I have a hairdresser that I've known for years, and I've gone to her with some pretty crazy ideas. I've always been satisfied with the outcome, though, because she didn't doubt that I knew what I wanted. If you're going to a new hairdresser, you won't have this rapport, so you've got to make it PERFECTLY CLEAR that you know what you want and how you want it done. Follow Vintage Rose's example and go in armed with diagrams and pictures, and you'll probably get a great haircut!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran