Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Middy Thread

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
When I took the diagram to my stylist, she had no clue as well. But when I showed her a photo of Retro Chick's middy after the cut when it was straight, she was able to do it no problem. So perhaps arm yourself with the diagram, photos of it styled and of it straight and let the pictures do the talking!

FraeuleinBerlin

One of the Regulars
I was wondering about that, but the problem is that my hair is definitely NOT straight, so I'm not sure how much it would help?? I could take it anyway, what do you think?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I was wondering about that, but the problem is that my hair is definitely NOT straight, so I'm not sure how much it would help?? I could take it anyway, what do you think?

With a straight style, it helps the stylist to see what the layering looks like - Kind of like a blank slate. I would definitely take it along.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
C-dot I understand it too, I just keep hearing people say how any stylist can follow the diagram which I just know isn't true.

FraeuleinBerlin-I would def. take a picture of a straight middy. No matter what your hair is it's just easier for stylists to see and understand the layers you're talking about.

ginfizz

One of the Regulars
Also don't forget the two tutorials on here if you just want to do it yourself. I personally would be nervous about trying to get such a particular cut from a hairdresser I didn't know.
There's the one C-dot did that you can do to yourself and then there's the one I did that you can have a friend do to you. You have curly hair so if there are some mistakes in there it'll be hard to notice to be honest.

Tatum

Practically Family
Yay Fraeulein! :)

I'm on for Tuesday. Mine's getting too darn long to set well, and it's taking forever to dry. I'm probably going to go for my usual long middy though, since we're going into winter.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Mine is getting long and heavy too, but gosh darn it, I'm not gonna cut it. I'm going to have long Dita princess hair if I hafta die tryin'.

HarrietVane

New in Town
Hullo, I'm new here. I've been drooling over 40's dos for ages, specifically the classic Bacall locks from The Big Sleep. What I'm wondering is, is it permitted to have a middy with no bangs? Or can you get away with very very long bangs? When I had bangs, my hair tended to sproing into big curls in the middle and wings on the sides, and I really don't want to wrestle with that again.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Hullo, I'm new here. I've been drooling over 40's dos for ages, specifically the classic Bacall locks from The Big Sleep. What I'm wondering is, is it permitted to have a middy with no bangs? Or can you get away with very very long bangs? When I had bangs, my hair tended to sproing into big curls in the middle and wings on the sides, and I really don't want to wrestle with that again.

Sure it's permitted! Turudich's 1940's Hairstyles (aka The Middy Bible) even does a page on that style. I'll pull the page and post it in a few.

ETA: Here it is. She still has the top section of hair cut exactly as in the diagram, but its much longer. She also has slightly less layering.

laurenbacallhair.jpg

Last edited:

HarrietVane

New in Town
Perfect. Thank you so much, that's just what I wanted.

So by top hair I'm assuming they mean the top layers that aren't directly framing the face, yes? And then the back is just done loosely. Sorry, I'm trying to draw a mental curling diagram in my head.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Perfect. Thank you so much, that's just what I wanted.

So by top hair I'm assuming they mean the top layers that aren't directly framing the face, yes? And then the back is just done loosely. Sorry, I'm trying to draw a mental curling diagram in my head.

Not a problem. By top hair, she means the section directly on top of your head that extends backward from the arches of your eyebrows to the back of the head. Check out my tutorial or Turudich's diagram to get a visual. :)

I have the hardest time with the short layers, so I was thinking this might help. We shall see.... ;)

I hope so! With the real short layers, I cop out and use the flatiron :p

Danielle C

New in Town
Tomorrow i'm braving it and getting a middy and a perm, both in the same day! Does anyone know which type of perm i should get that wouldn't be too curly and allow me to still style the middy in my sponge rollers? (which i do now.) i want it really just to help hold the curl. Does anyone have a middy and perm?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Tomorrow i'm braving it and getting a middy and a perm, both in the same day! Does anyone know which type of perm i should get that wouldn't be too curly and allow me to still style the middy in my sponge rollers? (which i do now.) i want it really just to help hold the curl. Does anyone have a middy and perm?

I had a tight permanent done about 6 years ago to help hold a curl, and it was fine with large rollers to create big curls. The only problem was that I absolutely had to set it, or it would look and feel terrible, and once it hit the humidity, it frizzed right up.

My suggestion: go for either a loose permanent, or more ideally, a body wave. That way it will give your hair just enough elasticity to hold your sets, but it won't look awful if you can't set it or the weather kills it. :)

zombi

A-List Customer
AH! That picture + instructions of Bacall's hair is perfect! This is exactly the style I love most and wish to achieve for myself. I'll keep trying and I'll use these instructions next time! Thanks so much for posting it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred