Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Miracle of Absinthe

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
If one is close to a Cost Plus World Market, you can get a glass like the one on the right, which is nice copy of an old glass once used for absinthe. (about $5.00 each)

378751_perigord_glass

perigord_glass.jpg

matei

One Too Many
I have been drinking absinthe for years, and I've noticed no ill effects... :p

It is a shame that it appears to have caught on with the binge drinking culture (yeah mate I had 5 shots of absinthe with the flaming spoon and all yeaaaah)...

I admit I haven't tried the higher end absinthe yet. I'm still waiting to, but I have a lot of Segarra and Deva (eeek) to finish off. The Deva isn't sooo bad - I've had worse. Someone brought me a bottle of Czech stuff that I ended up using to disinfect the sink (no joke) - it was that bad. It wasn't absinthe in the least.

I actually find that I feel better, more rested, the next day after a glass or two of absinthe, compared to whiskey - but that is just me.

In Spain the stuff is very inexpensive. Here in London I've only ever seen "La Fee" and some other popular brands for sale. I personally didn't care for them. I'll have to have another look to see if some better brands are on offer...

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
The ceremony, the literary and artistic connections, the history - it's clearly for ME.

this is precisely my problem with the drink.... the mystique is all in the mind. due to the banning (things are much more desirable when they're banned) and the myth of hallucinations combined with the pouring over sugar (rituals with spoons have a druggy connotation) you'd think you were buying opium in a bottle. you are NOT going to be transported back to a french salon circa 1900 and become an artistic visionary.

absinthe is a strong alcoholic drink that tastes of aniseed. end of story.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
herringbonekid said:
Absinthe is a strong alcoholic drink that tastes of aniseed. end of story.

That's what I thought in 1997, when I first learned about absinthe. In fact, it's a much more complex drink than you give it credit for.

To make really good absinthe, you have to know how to choose and mix various herbs. The quality of the base spirit, the herbs, the amounts put in, and the maceration/distillation time are important: they make the difference between great, decent and bad absinthe. Not easy to do at all, and most fail at it -- including scores of professional distilleries. Even with all the good, 100 year-old recipes around, people still mess up absinthe-making. Why? Because one needs more than a recipe: one needs experience, finesse, and an ability to juggle a host of herbal flavors and scents. Great absinthe smells, looks and tastes wonderful: it has little, if anything, to do with effects on the brain. The problem is that very few people have had the opportunity to try great absinthe, because it remains extremely scarce (and expensive).

Herringbonekid, do you believe that fine whiskey is merely "a strong alcoholic drink that tastes of grains and malt. End of story"? I reckon not. Well, absinthe, like whiskey, should not be dismissed so lightly.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
this is precisely my problem with the drink.... the mystique is all in the mind. due to the banning (things are much more desirable when they're banned) and the myth of hallucinations combined with the pouring over sugar (rituals with spoons have a druggy connotation) you'd think you were buying opium in a bottle. you are NOT going to be transported back to a french salon circa 1900 and become an artistic visionary.

absinthe is a strong alcoholic drink that tastes of aniseed. end of story.

Why drink anything else than other water, that's all your body really needs.

Collecting and drinking absinthe, is no different than collecting and wearing vintage clothes.:p

I drank Herbsaint long before I ever drank any real absinthe,(Still do along with vintage Herbsaint) so I guess with Herbsaint never having been banned, there wasn't any "forbidden fruit" involved.

Other than a few morons burning sugar cubes in the clubs in Prague, there is no connection to drugs & classic absinthe.
Drinking absinthe was something that was enjoyed by millions of people in France & Switzerland in it's heyday, it was just a pleasant drink then, as it still is now.
Personally I seldom use sugar in my absinthe anymore.

Never having been to French salon, I wouldn't know what it's like, though I suppose it must be similiar to the effect of dressing in vintage clothing.:D

As far as absinthe being a strong drink, yes in the bottle it's fairly high proof to preserve the natural green coloring & content, once you water it 3 to 1, or 4 to 1, it had a much lower alcoholic content, that would be in the range of a glass of wine.

I've seen much worse behavior with people drinking Tequila shots.

As far as being an artistic visionary, I'll have to pass, other than a bit of C.A.D., I'd say I'm more of a technician that likes the taste of absinthe.

End of Story.;)

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
you're missing my point. Advertisers trade heavily on the myth that absinthe is some sort of 'decadent' artistic inspiration in a bottle. it's misleading and only adds fuel to the rumours that it is hallucinatory. that's what i object to. if you enjoy it just a as a drink, fine.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Please, folks, if you wish the *mysterious someone* to bring a bottle to the Queen Mary event, let me know as soon as possible -- either here or via a PM.

Because if only one or two people are interested, I don't think the *mysterious someone* will go to the trouble of lugging the stuff aboard.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
herringbonekid said:
you're missing my point. Advertisers trade heavily on the myth that absinthe is some sort of 'decadent' artistic inspiration in a bottle. it's misleading and only adds fuel to the rumours that it is hallucinatory. that's what i object to. if you enjoy it just a as a drink, fine.

There are a number of very dedicated people that are working to change "the hype" in marketing absinthe.

Sadly, there are those in every business that shoot for the lowest common denominator to separate one from their cash.
That is the unfortunate nature of advertising. (Be it Red Bull or "Axe Body Spray":eusa_doh: )

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I haven't had any hallucinations, but once I drank more than usual. The next day my eyes didn't want to focus, and everything looked like a Monet. It was beautiful.

Or maybe I just needed more sleep.

doghouse

One of the Regulars
Haha. If I were able to go to the QM... I'd drink some absinthe.. I found some in the US, came with the nice spoon, but sadly is just a relative of "real absinthe"... just don't tell me someone will be drinking Glenfiddich...I will cry!

(excuse me if I made many spelling mistakes.. a few too many martinis)

Elaina

One Too Many
Absinthe is one of those things that unless it's hanging about my crystal decanter, it's not something we're likely to have. I have some ouzo hanging about and because of the flavor, my husband won't drink it, and I don't like it (I like the flavor, just not that stuff).

But then, we're all alkies over here. I've drank it, it's okay, the mystique is what gets to me everytime and I'd be the first one there, glass in hand and my spoon tinkling away merrily against the rim. But we're old fuddy duddies, and going to stay at home.

I'll toast y'all with my coffee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo