Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Miracle of Absinthe

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Absinthe is a distilled, highly alcoholic, anise-flavored spirit derived from herbs including the flowers and leaves of the medicinal plant Artemisia absinthium, also called wormwood. Although it is sometimes incorrectly called a liqueur, absinthe is not bottled with added sugar and is therefore classified as a liquor or spirit

Absinthe is often referred to as la F?©e Verte (‚ÄúThe Green Fairy‚Äù) because of its coloring ‚Äî typically pale or emerald green, but sometimes clear or in rare cases rose red. Due to its high proof and concentration of oils, absintheurs (absinthe drinkers) typically add three to five parts ice-cold water to a dose of absinthe, which causes the drink to turn cloudy (called ‚Äúlouching‚Äù); often the water is used to dissolve added sugar to decrease bitterness. This preparation is considered an important part of the experience of drinking absinthe, so much so that it has become ritualized, complete with special slotted absinthe spoons and other accoutrements. Absinthe‚Äôs flavor is similar to anise-flavored liqueurs, with a light bitterness and greater complexity imparted by multiple herbs.

Absinthe originated in Switzerland as an elixir but is better known for its popularity in late 19th- and early 20th-century France, particularly among Parisian artists and writers whose romantic associations with the drink still linger in popular culture. In its heyday, the most popular brand of absinthe worldwide was Pernod Fils. At the height of this popularity, absinthe was portrayed as a dangerously addictive, psychoactive drug; the chemical thujone was blamed for most of its deleterious effects. By 1915, it was banned in a number of European countries and the United States. Even though it was vilified, no evidence shows it to be any more dangerous than ordinary alcohol.[2] A modern absinthe revival began in the 1990s, as countries in the European Union began to reauthorize its manufacture and sale

200px-Absinthe-glass.jpg

But there is a more qualified Absinthian on this board than me. I just like the name and it is in alot of vintage cocktails.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

I really cannot believe I have not yet tried it, as I have been reading about it for years.
The ceremony, the literary and artistic connections, the history - it's clearly for ME.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
And maybe for me too.

It does sound interesting. :D And I'm all for trying new things. But it's reputation as an hallucinogenic and addictive drug has always put me off, also that poisonous looking color. But it appears that it is just a matter of it's complex chemical makeup which could be the cause of incredible hangovers.:eek:

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
I really cannot believe I have not yet tried it, as I have been reading about it for years.
The ceremony, the literary and artistic connections, the history - it's clearly for ME.

Well, there's a good reason why you've never tried it . . . . because, unfortunately, it's been banned in the U.S. since 1912 thanks to the temperence movement. Not only is absinthe hard to get, but getting good quality absinthe is even harder. However, here's the inside track on the legal ramifications: it is illegal to sell it on American soil, but not to drink it on American soil. A monument to the legal profession's ability to weave loopholes into the fabric of any law or statute that are big enough to drive a bootlegger's truck through!

Curt Chiarelli

One of the Regulars
Lincsong said:
Is it available in Canada, Mexico or the Caribbean? Will Customs confiscate it?

Since Canada is a protectorate of the British Crown and, furthermore, since Great Britain never banned it in the first place, chances are good that it's not illegal in Canada and available for sale. As for Mexico and the Carribean I really have no answer for you.

If Uncle Sam intercepts it, Customs will confiscate it and you'll be out $100.00 per bottle plus shipping costs.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Absinthe has been available, as a backroom item, through a few U.S. distributors for years, just like Cuban cigars.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I've heard that absinthe may be legal in Canada, but also that their customs may seize shipments.

Getting it shipped to the US is a dice game. I've received shipments with no problems from Liqueurs de France, but my friends have had theirs nicked from other vendors.

You can also get vintage pre-ban absinthe from www.oxygenee.com, although this is rather expensive.

Spanish fly is entirely different. It is a pastille that causes priapism in males (and a similar reaction in females). It is very dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.

You can also hand-carry absinthe from a country where it is legal.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
I thought that was a natural condition.[huh]

It could be, but not in this case. The reaction is caused by blistering. Apparantly very painful, and also inconvenient.

Modern medicine has drugs that can do this without the painful side effects.

Back to Absinthe.

Anyone bringing any to the Queen Mary? Or would I have to bring my own? What is the corkage fee?

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I've always liked the Nouvelle Orleans, going back to the days when it was a "lab sample"......It shares a bit of linage with the above from New Orleans.

The Edouard is nice representation of a French verte.

My favorite commercial absinthe is the L' Artisanale, the market has really changed from the days of feeling lucky to have a bottle of Deva from Spain.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
Absinthe is legal to buy and sell in Canada, but not to drink - sort of the opposite of the American law. I beleieve it's also illegal to make and export it, but legal to import it. There are quite a few stores in my city that carry it (though I used to have to mail order it) and there are quite a few varieties - mostly the Czech made stuff (pretty cool because the writing is all Czech), but there's some Pernod too. When it first became available, a local liquor store advertised it on his sign and he was stopped from selling it further. Well, he still sells it, but you have to ask for it and the guy gets it from the back - it's not on display. Most other places have it out on the shelves. The laws about it are so old know one really knows to enforce them. Sort of like, 'every bar or saloon must have a hitching post in front'.

As for drinking it, I follow James Bond's rule about vodka martinis, 'One is not enough and three is too many'; I'm paraphrasing, of course. I don't think the actual quote is suitable for the Lounge. The one time I didn't follow the rule, I'd wished, very, very much, that I had.

I've never had a silver spoon for straining the stuff, just perforated stainless steel tea spoons. Seems to work fine. I know a guy who makes a living only selling hand made silver Absinthe spoons. I'm not paying $100 for a spoon though, no matter what it's made of.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Folks, a little bird told me that someone just might bring a bottle of *good* Swiss absinthe to the QM, but on one condition: that those interested in partaking of it BRING THEIR OWN DRINKING GLASS, GOBLET, CUP, or whatever. No glasses will be provided -- they're too heavy to lug aboard ship. Sugarcubes, however, will be provided ... and absinthe spoons will be loaned out.

Please let the mysterious *someone* know here if you wish and intend to partake of this bottle of absinthe. It would be good to know how many folks intend to do so. This will have to be done in a private stateroom; restaurants in California don't allow you to bring in your own spirits, even if you offer to pay a corking fee.

Rest assured that it is perfectly legal to drink absinthe in the United States. (It is prohibited to import, manufacture, export, purchase or sell it -- which none of you would be doing.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21