Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Most Famous Hat

One Too Many
2426396670106357411S600x600Q85.jpg

I believe wich this hat is the most saw in all the world ¡¡¡¡¡ The Bogart hat

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
My nominees:

The Raiders fedora
Lincoln's stovepipe
Bogart
The Cat in the Hat
The derbies of Chaplain, and Laurel and Hardy
Gilligan and the Skipper (half kidding)

I want to add a cowboy hat in here, but I dont know which one. The first one I think of is Robert Duvall's (Gus) in Lonesome Dove, but I know there are others that are more iconically famous - John Wayne, Buffalo Bill, as examples.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
IMHO there are just two iconic hats that are probably recognized around the world, the first being the stovepipe topper of Abraham Lincoln's:

images1.jpg

And next would be Charie Chaplin's derby:

charlie-chaplin1.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
IMHO there are just two iconic hats that are probably recognized around the world, the first being the stovepipe topper of Abraham Lincoln's
How many people in China and India have ever even heard of Abe; that's a third of the world right there.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Believe it or not, he is mentioned in their histories of the US from what my Chinese friends have told me. And the same for India. They are more aware of us than we realize. More than we are of them or their histories.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Believe it or not, he is mentioned in their histories of the US from what my Chinese friends have told me.
I think that it would take more than a mention for a hat to become famous. They do have their own hatted icons after all.....

mao_tse_tung_01.jpg

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think that it would take more than a mention for a hat to become famous. They do have their own hatted icons after all.....

mao_tse_tung_01.jpg

Precisely what I was saying. I can't imagine too many folks in India, China, or even the middle east (aka the "Orient") would necessarily know much about the Stovepipe itself. Maybe if you showed them a picture of Lincoln in the hat, they could name him, or at least tell you he was an American president - but the hat itself probably wouldn't ring a bell. Similarly, I wouldn't expect many Western residents would know Ghengis Khan's headwear just by sight alone (although it's worth mentioning that Ghengis was never painted or drawn during his lifetime, all images were created after his death - thus his choice of headgear can only be assumed).

I think the image of Uncle Sam, and very possibly his hat, would elicit a response. On the other hand, Uncle Sam's hat is pretty self-explanatory (US Flag design).

I think the answers to "What is the world's most famous hat?" necessarily rely on either a pop-cultural icon like the pope, or Santa, or a widely historical figure such as the Pharaohs' headresses, or the Spartans' helmets.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Here are some hats I believe to be some of the most recognizable, when it comes to film that is:

I.
Raiders_08.jpg

II.
1158370_f260.jpg

III.
michael-corleone-al-pacino.jpg

And representing the less-known homburg, Don Michael Corleone.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I think the answers to "What is the world's most famous hat?" necessarily rely on either a pop-cultural icon like the pope, or Santa,
Or a nondenominational icon of the wired world , like Michael Jackson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic