Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Most Famous Hat

Pompidou

One Too Many
I did a Google search for "World's Most Famous Hat" and I got two results that were worth posting, though neither were what I really expected. I was hoping to find a specific hat of a specific person, just for the sake of curiosity, really. But, all wasn't lost. The first link is "He made the World's Most Famous Hat", and the result surprised me. The second is "10 Most Famous Hats" - hat genres that is - and I was less surprised. What do you think? Any disagreements?

http://westside.wgrz.com/content/he-made-worlds-most-famous-hat
http://www.famouswhy.com/List/10_Most_Famous_Hats/816.html

If I had to pick the "World's most famous hat" where hat isn't a genre, but a lone identifiable hat worn by one icon, a hat's hat, I'm not sure. I started to type Indiana Jones, but then, what about the crown worn by the British monarchs? What about the Papal cap? What about Robin Hood's feathered green? The world's most famous hat. Any ideas?

Pry

New in Town
Captain Crunch's bicorn is up there. Elmer Fudd you'd know by the silhouette of his hat alone. I guess cartoon is cheating, but there's some pretty iconic hats in cartoons.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Brodie has many inventions to his credit. One was a chain steel visor attached under the steel hats and so arranged as to pull it down in front of the eyed for protection from shrapnel.

There's an example on display in the Royal Armouries in Leeds. The visor is a mail ("chainmail") drape with a reinforcing plate, of a material that has been in use since Roman times.

As for most famous hats I'd suggest Chaplain's bowler and Lincoln's stovepipe, in the States at least. How about Panco Villa's sombrero?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would say that Che's cap is up there, if only because it is on a bunch of middle class suburban kids' t-shirts.

azshawn

Familiar Face
The first article is interesting, but not exactly what I think of as famous. The second article is one of those dubious lists you see all over the internet, that doesn't seem to be based on much research and might only exist to create add space in the margins. I think of "famous" as something associated with someone who had some measure of fame (or infamy). When I think of "famous hats", meaning you can show a picture of a hat to the typical person and they would associate it with a famous person I think of Lincoln's stovepipe, Napoleon's bicorne, Washington's tricorne , Laurel and Hardy's bowlers maybe? I think what you consider a famous hat may have to do with the culture you are exposed to. Interesting question!

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Perhaps "famous" = most recognizable, or most culturally significant by today's standards in the Western Hemisphere? Certainly, Abe's stove pipe might be a bit western for the entire world, but what about the Pope's hat? Or Santa's hat (in all its guises)?

The word famous creates a little trouble because it's so vague. You could claim the world's most notorious hat could belong to an American gangster, or European war criminal. You might say the world's most recognized hat is the cap, used by military and sports players world over.

T Rick

Practically Family
Okay, keeping with military, let's not forget the Green Beret (or Maroon for that matter) of the US Armed Forces. But there are just so many... Baseball caps are certainly "famous" in that they're instantly recognizable. And what about football helmets? Without at least a time line constraint or category, I'd say this is nearly impossible to get a consensus on. But for films, I'd go with Indy's Fedora, possibly followed by Sam Spade's (Bogie) from The Maltese Falcon.

6962.gif

Sam Craig

One Too Many
America?
I'd say Chaplain's derby, Indy's Fedora, John Wayne's Cowboy hat ... probably the tan one with the sweat stains

Historically, I'd agree that, again in America, the Lincoln top hat would be near the top. All you have to do is flash that shape and most Americans know who you mean

Globally, UncleSam's topper is probably near the most recognized ... if not the most respected in all places.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy