Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mummy clothes

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good point Mycroft, but that's a different breed of bracer.

As you know (but others might not), the archer's bracer is typically worn on the left forearm of a rightie, covers all the way up the forearm, and has the lacings on the outside to prevent snagging the bowstring of right-handed archers.

None of the characters being discussed have or are implied to have bows as a chosen weapon. Plus the brace is on the wrong arm, the lacings are on the inside rather than the outside and the brace itself only covers a few inches of wrist, making it an active hindrence to a bowman, even a left-handed one.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Not sure if I want to replicate everything- guns, holster etc. Really just liked the overall look though. The neckerchief and shirt I really liked as a look. Maybe with suspenders would work instead of the holsters, or with a backpack maybe yet be more practical for use in everydaay life.
A military surplus rucksack would look cool.

carebear

Ghos7a55assin said:
A military surplus rucksack would look cool.

Rucksack? I want that roll-thingie he had on the boat in the first movie.

I will gladly shoulder the responsibility of filling all the little pouches and such. :D

Nick Charles

Practically Family
For the pants I would reccommend either these
jodphurs.jpg
from www.cooncreekoldwest.com or the Roosevelt pants from Wahmaker if you can find a pair.
525002.jpg

ortega76

Practically Family
Spatterdash said:
I agree with white or cream being a nice option for a shirt, not khaki. Save that for the pants or outerwear items, like vests and jackets.

I did notice the lack of a hat, but I also caught the addition of a huge cotton neckscarf (blue in some shots, green in others, I'm not sure). Very handy for a face guard or a head scarf in desert regions.

As for the leather bracers, I always saw them as wrist support for a man accustomed to constantly emptying pistols with both hands. It was one of the few times I actually bought into someone wearing a pair of those things.

Ditto on my read. I also saw them as something useful in a knife-fight.

Ken

A-List Customer
Ooohhh. Thanks Nick. I like the look of the Wahmaker ones. Always meant to get one of their Duster coats at some point as well.

Ken

Lion

New in Town
I always thought the wrist bracers were for suport too. They can help a lot. It was not uncommon for blacksmiths to wear something similar. Any repetive action involving the hands/wrists can cause damage over time and I'd say that his character used those pistols enough for that to be an issue.

Leo

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
We saw the movie yesterday and my boyfriend LOVED the clothes. He just said that he can´t wear a set of those cause that cool brown jacket could be connected with Nazis. Now I´m not too much a expert when it comes to uniforms or that, but I´d never get the idea to make a connection if I see someone walking around in that very pretty browns jacket.... Well, maybe I´m just totally ignorant [huh]

Feraud

Bartender
The leather cuffs Rick wore in The Mummy were derived from cowboy cuffs.

mummy.jpg

These are leather cuffs wore for working with rope & steer.
They fit his image as an adventurer/"cowboy" personality.
cuffs.jpg

cuffs1.jpg

You can get them through Western reenactment sites.

carebear

Cowboy cuffs were originally worn to prevent rein and rope burns. But, the cowboy soon discovered the cuffs were equally valuable as protection against mesquite, thorns, cactus and barbed wire. Early Western saddle makers and mail order houses were the first to make the leather wrist cuffs for the working cowboys out on the range. They became very popular during the 1880's, with the earliest being quite plain and unadorned.

From a sales website.

Whattya know? :) I have only heard their purpose in reference to knife dueling. This sure makes more sense why folks would wear them all the time.

The danger of narrow interests I suppose.

Mycroft

One Too Many
carebear said:
Good point Mycroft, but that's a different breed of bracer.

As you know (but others might not), the archer's bracer is typically worn on the left forearm of a rightie, covers all the way up the forearm, and has the lacings on the outside to prevent snagging the bowstring of right-handed archers.

None of the characters being discussed have or are implied to have bows as a chosen weapon. Plus the brace is on the wrong arm, the lacings are on the inside rather than the outside and the brace itself only covers a few inches of wrist, making it an active hindrence to a bowman, even a left-handed one.

Touche.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
The leather cuffs Rick wore in The Mummy were derived from cowboy cuffs.

mummy.jpg

These are leather cuffs wore for working with rope & steer.
They fit his image as an adventurer/"cowboy" personality.
cuffs.jpg

cuffs1.jpg

You can get them through Western reenactment sites.

One does look like a cowboy cuff but the other looks like a leather covered wrist watch. Just an observation.

Cheers!

Dan

Kodiak

A-List Customer
I hear you on this one Ken... I can't seem to find anything in a good size for me these days. We are probably close to the same.

The Cabelas shirt might work for you, with a little bleach maybe.

Want to start a petition to make folks offer small sizes too?

EDIT-

I emailed Orvis about the shirt sizes. I figure it's unlikely that they'll send anything back, or even change anything, but it is worth a shot.

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Well folks, as always I hate to double-post, but I just got this back from Orvis:

Dear Mr. Mullikin,

Thank you for your e-mail and the valuable feedback. Customer service and your satisfaction are very important to The Orvis Company. Unfortunately I am not sure why we do not offer our the British Indian Officer's Shirt in a size small. I will be more than happy to pass your comments and suggestions along to the appropriate department for review and consideration. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know. Have a great day!

Thank you,
Ashley Ramsey
Orvis Customer Service
customerservice@orvis.com
1-888-235-9763

At least they were fast. As I said before, I doubt that anything will come of it.

-Andrew

Ken

A-List Customer
If you check out the thread 'Travel in style' in the jacket section you'll find they also didnt stock that jacket in small either.

I tell you there is a conspiracy against small people. Truth is, and no offense intended but I think especially in Amercia, less small people than larger people so its more economically viable to stock larger sizes.

Ken

Kodiak

A-List Customer
Ken said:
If you check out the thread 'Travel in style' in the jacket section you'll find they also didnt stock that jacket in small either.

I tell you there is a conspiracy against small people. Truth is, and no offense intended but I think especially in Amercia, less small people than larger people so its more economically viable to stock larger sizes.

Ken

I agree. Maybe we can get them to change their minds...

"Small folks of the world UNITE!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21