Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The natural soul of a hat wearer and the energy of the past

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
To thine own self be true. There is the soul, the energy and the past.;)

Absolutely!!! :eusa_clap

There is the soul, the energy, past, present, future and eternity! Wow this is getting deep! :eek: lol lol

dschonn

Familiar Face
I've read about some theories of J.R.R. Tolkien on the matter of ancestral knowledge of language (he was a professor of Anglo-Saxon and an accomplished philologist), and he might have agreed that the past may have greater influence on a person than can be explained simply by examining that person's life experiences. I don't remember much detail, but he thought that an English person whose ancestors spoke English quite a few generations back would have an intuitive knowledge and affinity for the language that would be greater than a person whose ancestors had spoken another language.

An example from my own life is that when I began to learn German in middle school, it came so naturally to me that it was almost like I was being reminded of it rather than taught for the first time. I do have German ancestry, but my entire family is nothing but native English speakers, going back maybe three or four generations. Either I am a genius and can learn languages like nobody's business at all, or I have a sort of ancestral memory of the German language. At the risk of sounding arrogant (only about half), I think it's a bit of both, and I assume that there are also other factors that I haven't taken into account.

I have no doubt that this extends to fashion sense, though I feel it's a slightly different thing. I, for example, can find something to like in almost any historical period of fashion, with the glaring exception of the century or two beginning with the Renaissance and ending sometime in the eighteenth century. I can't explain it, but there's just something about the silhouettes from those periods that I pretty much hate. (I'm talking, by the way, about the men's fashion. I pay less attention to women's styles because I will never wear them.) I just don't understand the appeal of trunk hose or a peascod belly. Why would a man want to look like a heavily brocaded square with legs? Why would anyone want to have skinny arms, a pot belly and huge, huge thighs? Why would a man wish to emphasize the width of his hips while wearing all manner of lace, ribbons and feathers? I just don't get it. I think my ancestors must have been lowly serfs during that time because all representations of nobles from that era make me slightly sick.

Caz

New in Town
I must have been mislead as a youth....

...as I have always adhered to the philosophy of "You are what you eat!"

Sorry...couldn't resist!

59Lark

Practically Family
re incarnation ? lost memories.

Not wanting to step on a landmine or into waters not allowed, there is a lot of possible senarioes. Please excuse any errors, a new lab puppy is a affecting my sleep habits. I had a friend who as a child was deathly scared of water, pure havoc for giving a bath and was utterly fascinated with the titantic ship, became convinced he was reincarnated drowned on that ship. We are quite often affected by our surroundings but each differently, of all my siblings , am the only one that grew up retro. The rest are not lost in the past at all, if anything very modern compared to me very modern. The idea of a child wearing a fedora and suit, it speaks of some influence if it wasnt there than perhaps it was a reincarnation influance from a earlier life. Who knows, rod serlings music please. Without getting too large for large, and with stepping into taboo subjects there is a lot of unknown factors and influences on our lifes, unseen circumstances. Things that shouldnt happen, and things that couldnt be done again if you tried one hundred times. Enjoy life for what it is, and revel in your style and be your own person. Remember what my father said, dont be a sheep son, you know what the wolfs do to the sheeps dont you son? 59Lark:eek:fftopic:

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jpbales said:
If you take a Christian perspective, you know that people see time differently than God, who doesn't distinguish time in terms of past and present

Thomas Aquinas in "Summa Theologiae" writes wonderfully on this topic.

Except for the above, I feel "Emergency Mental Commitments" coming on!:D :p :D

sfend002

Familiar Face
Ahh yes, Philosophical musings...

Wear what you like, don't over think it. This coming from a chronic over thinker who is trying to reform.

metropd

One Too Many
sfend002 said:
Ahh yes, Philosophical musings...

Wear what you like, don't over think it. This coming from a chronic over thinker who is trying to reform.

Thank you. Excuse my mindless drivel, I should no better than to go on a tangent at 3:30am on the FL. Let it be a mystery and leave it at that, I guess it's part of the fun.;)

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HadleyH said:
Absolutely!!! :eusa_clap

There is the soul, the energy, past, present, future and eternity! Wow this is getting deep! :eek: lol lol

Yep the more I think about this the more meditative I want to be. In doing so we move away from our traditional roles that leave us tethered to the temporal world filled with responsibility, pain, triumph and myriad other feelings or tasks. It has a healing effect on the part of us that is hidden from the universe. In some it induces us to offer ourselves in times like now where there is economic crisis.

During these times one may feel a sense of one with the world; perhaps the essence that makes us humankind, brothers, citizens able reach beyond the unreachable, dream the unimaginable…simply have the power to BE.

When that occurs the Spirit is awoken in us all and we are now ready to truly become a true spirit. Perhaps, ready to truly reveal the most difficult aspect of ourselves. The nurturing and caring souls that we all are.

Without that communication it is easy to be the people we normally are: Possibly competitive people, professionals, executives or the like where it is easier to throw a buck at a problem and let the problem be solved by another.

However, this takes courage.

Courage to accept the world as it is, not how it “ought” to be.

It takes action.

The action is being disciplined in reaching outside our sphere of thought, reason and experience.

But, most of all, it takes the ability to see the world as a little child would; with wonder, awe and excitement.

This current economic situation, no matter how painful, is temporary. Change the name of the situation to death of a loved one, health crisis, divorce or birth of a child. How healthy we are spiritually is what makes the difference in any situation or circumstance.

A hat is just an extension of this.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart