Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
Well, I had four comments today. Was quite a shock.

I was wearing my '50's Penney's Marathon & 50's overcoat.

At Carls Jr, some man who was leaving said, "Nice hat!" To which I replied ,"You too!" as he had on a wool stingy.
Waiting for the bus, a lady walked up and said to my grandmother, "Wow, he looks nice!".
And on the bus, a lady sat down behind me, and said, "You look like John Dillinger, and Johnny Depp. You probably get that a lot though, huh? You look like Johnny Depp. I am going to apologise in advance, but I am sorry if I stare too much :)..."

So, was a pretty good night. Told my grandma I will be riding the bus with her more often, hahaah!

I guess we on the Lounge are mostly white guys. Around here in the Washington, D.C. area, you can count on the black guys to give reliable comments about hats. I get comments, all (that I've heard) positive. You know why I think that is? Because many black folks are attuned to style, like style, are aficionados of style. In the case of hats, more men wearing fedora type hats is more fun, it sort of creates new style niches to take advantage of. All men like hats. I also know from past experience that they'll also sometimes tell you if what you're wearing looks bad. I don't mean to make so much contrasting white with black guys, because we're really not that different, but I think generally white guys are less attuned to style, and can use corrections from anyone to refine it. So I'm happy to get any comments from other men, so that I can benefit from them.

I think that might explain a lot of things. :p

0316_forbeslife-last-call-final_400x400.jpg

Well, I had four comments today. Was quite a shock.

I was wearing my '50's Penney's Marathon & 50's overcoat.

At Carls Jr, some man who was leaving said, "Nice hat!" To which I replied ,"You too!" as he had on a wool stingy.
Waiting for the bus, a lady walked up and said to my grandmother, "Wow, he looks nice!".
And on the bus, a lady sat down behind me, and said, "You look like John Dillinger, and Johnny Depp. You probably get that a lot though, huh? You look like Johnny Depp. I am going to apologise in advance, but I am sorry if I stare too much :)..."

So, was a pretty good night. Told my grandma I will be riding the bus with her more often, hahaah!

Bring pen and paper for collecting phone numbers. :p

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I rarely go to the mall , rating that right up there with a Colonoscopy on things to look forward to, however the wife and daughter talked me into it the other evening. I sort of dressed down but did have on a leather jacket and my Adam executive. While wandering around, mostly window shopping a pretty redhead twenty something with bright green eyes step in front of me blocking my way, gently ran her finger along the brim, smiled and said that she loved my hat-then disappeared into the crowd. I noticed that a couple of young men had watched the whole episode and were grinning ear to ear. Lets hope they learned something from the old fart and are on their way to being converts.

Last edited:

scooter

Practically Family
I wear an old Stetson to work every day, and rarely a day goes by that I don't have someone tell me "nice hat" or the like. The other day, as I entered the aircraft, the flight attendant told me my hat made her want to go to Oktoberfest! Thought that was unusual, but kinda cool at the same time.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
The latest response I received was not a verbal compliment, but a stare that spoke volumes. I had to get some blood work done and the lab seems to cater to the elderly. Heck I guess I am in that category now. I just got off work, so I was still dressed in my wool slacks, dress shirt, nice bow tie and tweed blazer with my Stetson Whippet. Since I was still in a very public area of the building, I had not yet removed my hat. As I was about to enter the lab waiting room, a nice looking woman of about 70 opened the door for me and just stood there gazing at me as I walked in. I tried to take the door from her to hold it for her exit, but she would not move from the spot and prevented me from trying to help her. I know that she was not looking at my face because I am not much to look at, but I figure it was the entire ensemble I was wearing that must have either impressed her or maybe brought back some lost memory, but her expression could almost be described as adoring. I have had many people give me the "nice hat" compliment, but this one occasion was something totally unexpected.

scooter

Practically Family
I've never had a negative comment about one of my hats, even my manager introduced to a new supervisor, as "Mr. Rob, the man with many hats. Not caps, hats!" Several have commented on how many stylish hats I have. The funniest comment I think I've heard was from a co-worker.
Standing behind him as he was seated a table, I glanced down and noticed his ball cap was grimy with sweat and just dirty. I commented that it might be nice to invest in a new cap, but if he didn't want to, I would happily donate one. He turned and smiled at me and said, "I'll take one of them Pimp hats you got!" Everyone in the room, including me, broke out laughing.

While wandering around, mostly window shopping a pretty redhead twenty something with bright green eyes step in front of me blocking my way, gently ran her finger along the brim, smiled and said that she loved my hat-then disappeared into the crowd. I noticed that a couple of young men had watched the whole episode and were grinning ear to ear.

Tom, are you paying attention? :p:D

Lotsahats

One Too Many
You know, no one's ever said a thing to me about my hats, beside the occasional "nice hat" from people I already know. Tonight, though, I was wearing a grey vintage Stetson, and I stopped to do a little grocery shopping on the way home. Twice, shoppers looked up as I walked by, and lovely smiles, perhaps tinted with some pleasing memory long-past, played across their faces. Both people were older, a man and a woman each, and while neither said anything, I think I brought a little joy to an otherwise cold night.

So no comments yet, still, but I think I'm getting closer!

Best,
Aaron

You know, no one's ever said a thing to me about my hats, beside the occasional "nice hat" from people I already know. Tonight, though, I was wearing a grey vintage Stetson, and I stopped to do a little grocery shopping on the way home. Twice, shoppers looked up as I walked by, and lovely smiles, perhaps tinted with some pleasing memory long-past, played across their faces. Both people were older, a man and a woman each, and while neither said anything, I think I brought a little joy to an otherwise cold night.

So no comments yet, still, but I think I'm getting closer!

Best,
Aaron

Well, better those kinds of comments than some nut calling you Indy or a Gangster. :p

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
I was walking back to the office from coffee break, with my latte, wearing a vintage suit, grey Dobbs stingy and AE specs. I passed a couple of young men, one of which was wearing a pre-tied bow. In mid stride, one pointed to me and said "that's awesome" and kept going. I just smiled and nodded in appreciation of the compliment.

It's for events like this that I appreciate my eclectic hobby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany