Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

metropd

One Too Many
Today a gentleman told me I was the best dressed man he has ever seen in his 25 years of living. I was wearing a bespoke 1926 navy blue double breasted suit with gray pinstripes, a bluish Gray 1940's Stetson Whippet fedora with a 2 5/8 inch brim in a teardrop crown, a white Egyptian cotton shirt with a meduim spread collar, and a perfectly tied burgundy silk bowtie .

metropd

One Too Many
Pompidou said:
So, tonight I go for my usual Friday night at the bar, it's a longstanding tradition. I've got my new Art Fawcett unique creation on my head - the bright red and black one you can see in the Hall of Fame and in my avatar. This lady walks up to me and asks, "Can I ask you a question?" and I might as well say yes, so I say, "Yeah, what?" and she asks "How can you be so brave to wear a hat like that here?" and I say, "Brave? It's just what I do." Then she asks, "Can I wear it?" And I say, "Well, it costs 300-350 or so, so be careful, and don't walk off with it." She'd done the same a couple weeks ago with my Stetson Whippet and I couldn't care less. I let people pass that one around. This hat is me, though, it's one of a kind. So, she puts it on, says, "Looks better on me (meaning her), and hands it back." For the first time, I cringe when she picks it up by the crown, because this is the first hat I'm babying. Not sure if it's good or bad. It's just an anecdote, and despite what I told all the ladies that tried on the Stetson, this hat looks way better on me than them.

I won't let anybody try my hat on. I don't care if she is the most drop dead gorgeous lady in the world. Sometimes they have to be told NO. I've told models who were a 10 and should be on the front cover of Vogue, "No, you can NOT try on my hat." Many times they will become even more attracted to me. I don't really understand this logic.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
metropd said:
I won't let anybody try my hat on. I don't care if she is the most drop dead gorgeous lady in the world. Sometimes they have to be told NO. I've told models who were a 10 and should be on the front cover of Vogue, "No, you can NOT try on my hat." Many times they will become even more attracted to me. I don't really understand this logic.

It's probably simple psychology. People want what they can't have.

Pompidou

One Too Many
I'm gonna try that. The next time a top model asks me to wear my hat, I'm gonna say no, and have even better luck for not being a pushover. You know what they say, "Nice guys finish last." I have started saying no a lot more, to be honest. I found people didn't treat my Stetson with the respect somebody else's property deserves. I didn't mind a girl putting it on and looking in the mirror. If someone wore it for a bit, I was cool with it so long as I could still see it. The last time I wore my Stetson to the bar though, it was getting abused - tossed around, dropped on the floor, etc. When we went back to a friend's house at the end of the night it didn't get handed back to me, it got frisbee'd back to me, and that's just not right, because I missed. Took me some time making it look acceptable again. So ever since I started wearing the Art Fawcett hat, I range between, "Sorry, I'm wearing it now," to "Okay, but be careful. This hat is worth more than you." Usually I nab it back if someone leaves to dance or whatever. People just don't understand what I went through to get it. It's not just off the shelf of Walmart.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
I won't let anybody try my hat on. I don't care if she is the most drop dead gorgeous lady in the world

My Husband says there are three things he won't share...me, his chainsaw and his hats.

Good to know I rate first in that list :D

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today I was told that the hat I'm usually seen wearing, a Taupe Fawn Akubra Campdraft, made me "less approachable." This was said to me by a fairly reasonable peer running for a leadership position for our dorm's resident association.

I suppose I could take that as a compliment, as I wear it usually on my hurried way to my classes. I don't have the time or care to be approachable when I'm headed to my Calculus course lol.

I'm discouraged with this comment. Perhaps it is true.
However, I'm also encouraged as my hat apparently fulfills its intended purpose with the added bonus of intimidation lol.

danofarlington

Neophyte said:
Today I was told that the hat I'm usually seen wearing, a Taupe Fawn Akubra Campdraft, made me "less approachable." This was said to me by a fairly reasonable peer running for a leadership position for our dorm's resident association.

I suppose I could take that as a compliment, as I wear it usually on my hurried way to my classes. I don't have the time or care to be approachable when I'm headed to my Calculus course lol.

However, I'm also encouraged as my hat apparently fulfills its intended purpose with the added bonus of intimidation lol.
Yeah, well soon many people on campus will be clamoring to establish their own particular styles and clothing identities, letting the chips fall where they may, whereas you have already established something of a style with the hat. If you're unapproachable with the hat on, it just opens an opportunity to be approachable when you take it off. It's a win-win situation, seems to me.

Neophyte

danofarlington said:
Yeah, well soon many people on campus will be clamoring to establish their own particular styles and clothing identities, letting the chips fall where they may, whereas you have already established something of a style with the hat. If you're unapproachable with the hat on, it just opens an opportunity to be approachable when you take it off. It's a win-win situation, seems to me.

It wouldn't bother me that much, except that I respect this person, and I've always had trouble with being sociable and empathethic. Apparently the hat isn't helping.

Besides, I'm not in it for the style. I just happen to like brimmed hats, and on our campus, where cover from the sun is few and far between, I enjoy being one of the few people not constantly squinting and grimacing lol.

Oh well, this is just impetus for me to get a slightly smaller hat in the future (let's face it, guys, that Campdraft is huge).

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Today my great uncle Toots told me that I looked like a gangster, wearing my gray suit, green squatter, and a maroon tie, but it was definitely a compliment. My grandma had told me before that the only people with nice clothes in their neighborhood in Baltimore were the mafiosi.

He also said that I looked very Italian, which I also value highly. I like looking Italian.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Just to be clear, I come from a straight shooting family. We never had anything to do with all that, in Italy or America, and the family is proud of it.

(not to say that I don't look it)

Pompidou

One Too Many
Neophyte said:

Do you wear your hat angled down in front? You know, like The Shadow and film noir characters? Your photos give that impression. It's a cool look and I don't blame you, but it has its downsides. It's supposed to make you less approachable. The visibility of the face is a huge determination of approachability. This is also one of the biggest arguments against the burqa, another face concealing headgear. They say if you wear your hat angled back, like women usually do, and like I do with my new one, you'll be more approachable. Actually, Frank Sinatra said it. Wear it down in front to be cool, wear it back to be approachable. Show your face. It's what makes you approachable.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
Pompidou said:
Do you wear your hat angled down in front? You know, like The Shadow and film noir characters? Your photos give that impression. It's a cool look and I don't blame you, but it has its downsides. It's supposed to make you less approachable. The visibility of the face is a huge determination of approachability. This is also one of the biggest arguments against the burqa, another face concealing headgear. They say if you wear your hat angled back, like women usually do, and like I do with my new one, you'll be more approachable. Actually, Frank Sinatra said it. Wear it down in front to be cool, wear it back to be approachable. Show your face. It's what makes you approachable.

Reminds me of a scene in the 80's movie "Murphy's Romance" with James Garner, who's giving advice about wearing cowboy hats:

"It's not how you bend 'em, it's how you wear 'em. You wear it back on your head it says you're easy-going, you like people. You wear it cocked over to the side, you're a rooster and you're looking for a lady or a fight...whichever comes first. But if you wear it square on your head and low down it means clear the sidewalks because you're cocked and ready to fire!"

C-C

danofarlington

ccajackson said:
Reminds me of a scene in the 80's movie "Murphy's Romance" with James Garner, who's giving advice about wearing cowboy hats:

"It's not how you bend 'em, it's how you wear 'em. You wear it back on your head it says you're easy-going, you like people. You wear it cocked over to the side, you're a rooster and you're looking for a lady or a fight...whichever comes first. But if you wear it square on your head and low down it means clear the sidewalks because you're cocked and ready to fire!"

C-C
Great.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
That's cute but the problem is that some people believe what they see in the movie. In my experience people with their cowboy hats drawn down tight just want their hats not to blow off, or to keep the sun out of their eyes. Probably different in Hollywood.

ccajackson

Familiar Face
lol
Richard Warren said:
That's cute but the problem is that some people believe what they see in the movie. In my experience people with their cowboy hats drawn down tight just want their hats not to blow off, or to keep the sun out of their eyes. Probably different in Hollywood.
lol You're right there - I've been known to pull the brim down to keep me from chasing a topper down the street. Of the three, my limited experience is that the hat back on the head is the most accurate characterization.

Still, a fun "guide" - to my mind;)

Cheers!

C-C

Compliments on my Imperial Stetson.

Any compliment is a good one. Today the weather allowed me to sport my early 50's Imperial Stetson, made in Philly. Having a business meeting in Philly today, I thought it proper to walk the streets with the pristine old Stetson on.

I stopped in the Philadelphia Pretzel Factory and the young lady at the register smiled at me and said, "Sir, that is a fantastic hat”;) and the gentleman behind me responded, "I was about to say the same." He asked me about the hat, and I told him it was a Stetson made in Philly in the very early 50's. He thought it was the greatest thing.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot