Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've posted this before last year, but worth repeating, I thought. The nicest comment I ever got was wearing my jazzy Borsalino Montecristi fedora-style Panama hat from Village Hat shop outside the Verizon Center in D.C. One of the ticket scalpers came up to me and said, "You wanna sell that hat?"

T Rick

Practically Family
A couple of days before Christmas, I was shopping in an upscale food market, wearing my new Bluegrass Green Camp Draft. A Lady who worked in the store came up to me and just said "I really like your hat". First unsolicited opinion I've gotten so far (I'm new to decent hats). It felt great hearing it.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
In our travels at Christmas time I got several compliments on my lids. They either asked where I was from because I looked very refined or where I got the hat from, rith down to the basic "great hat". Felt pretty darn good.

Cheers!

Dan

Insp. Bumstead

New in Town
Actually, I can't remember a single negative response to my fedora, all the comments from random strangers have been good ones. The best one though was on a flight was San Francisco to Beijing. I was sitting in the aisle seat when this extremely good-looking, stylishly dressed Black guy came down the aisle. He looked like an NBA player in a tailored suit. As he passed me he did a double take and his head snapped around and he said, "Damn, that is a NICE hat." Pretty great compliment, considering the source.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
I was out to dinner last night with some friends. As we got up to leave I put my homburg back on and a gentleman in an old, beat-up, western hat. Stood up and said "Well that is a very nice hat sir." Then we shook hands and we went on our way. That was the nicest comment I've ever got on my hat.

hasselhoff

One of the Regulars
Walkind down on the street, wearing my brown Fed IV and my black wool overcoat, I've got a: ''You look very classy sir, seriously you're sharply dressed!'' by a middle-aged man. It totally made my day!

However, the other I've got a rather rude comment in a restaurent by a dishwasher, asking me ''where's my horse...?'', because I was wearing my Fed IV again.

Brando11

A-List Customer
I work evenings as a recruiter for a university here in Chicago. As I walked into the building last week wearing my new Nostalgia, a woman came up to me, said, "What a great hat!", and proceeded to reach up and touch it. Made my day-

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Well I got yet another candidate for the nicest comment on my hat.... All of them have been when I'm wearing my new, black homburg. My coworker asked where I got my hat, because it was "The sharpest darn hat I've ever seen." He wanted one for himself. I think I've hooked a new hat wearer.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My favorite wasn't a spoken comment, it was a look. I was crossing a shopping center parking lot one day last December, wearing boots, neat jeans, a khaki shirt, and my older Resistol Open Road clone in Silverbelly. A young woman, trailed by her small daughter, was trudging across the lot toward me. She took a look; her gaze flicked up to the hat; then she gave me a smile that was both happy and sad, as if she were thinking, "Gosh, I wish I were living in Texas again. . . ."

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
A young lady come up behind me this morning and said she always looks forward to seeing me come in because I'm always so well dressed. I thought that was very nice.

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
Today when wearing my new hat an elderly lady who owns a vintage/antique shop commented how handsome I looked. She also asked if anyone else had said it. I answered no and she said that they don't dare to say it.:)

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I don't really see him much, but while I was at my community college, last week as I can recall, my cousin thought my Stetson St. Regis homburg was cool, and I thanked him for it. I was wearing my brown corduroy sport coat, a tan-checkered dress shirt, and dark blue jeans. On that same day, another guy said the same thing, and mentioned that he has a friend that's into wearing vintage style fedoras, or so he implied. It was a good day alright.

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I was told that I looked pretty yesterday which was nice as I don't tend to think that I am but I managed to say thank you for the compliment without putting myself down. Progress!

Generally the way people describe me makes me sound like a Labrador puppy.

riccardo

Practically Family
Hi to all,
...I was at the local post office, an old man ,80 years old, was pay something and he did not have all the money, I give him 2 Euros, to pay the post service.
Two years later, me and my wife were visiting a family a 75's husband and his 70's wife, the Lord use me an my wife to introduce Jesus grace to their son and the wife of him.
With the old man and his wife there was an old man too, he was like an 80's years old man, we talking with them and then we go away.
Some day later, Giuseppina the 70's woman tell me that the old man had recognize me, he had a debt with me:2 Euros.
"I am sure!- tell the old man, Giuseppina said- in this little town I've never seen a man with a hat like this!"
Those day at post office I were wearing my Akubra Campdraft.

Praise God.

Riccardo.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Well, this wasn't exactly the nicest comment I ever heard, nor was it really the dumbest (although I would have posted it in the 'dumbest' thread had it not been closed). It was just simply amazing for German standards.

In Germany you usually get the obvious Bogart, Udo Lindenberg, Joseph Beuys, Indy or Inspector Gadget comments (ok, that last one is a rather educated reference and hence pretty rare... :rolleyes:). And that's it. Usually. But lo and behold, this time a Turkish mobster (I live in Berlin Kreuzberg, also known as Little Istanbul to some people) looked at me and called out - quite delighted, I should say - "Belmondo! Jean-Paul Belmondo!". Now this was a first-timer. Never heard that reference before, I didn't. No, Sir. If nothing else at least it made me smile.

belmondo_pic.jpg

Well, could be worse, eh...? ;)

Last edited:

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Belmondo! Jean-Paul Belmondo!". Now this was a first-timer. Never heard that reference before, I didn't. No, Sir. If nothing else at least it made me smile.

Belmondo first introduced us to the brand name "Borsalino" when we were teenagers in the suburbs of Minneapolis. We always thought he was cool, even though his movies were somewhat before our time. And by extension, we thought Borsalinos were cool, all of it 30 or 35 years before my first hat purchase.

I was going to the antique shop last weekend. I pull up on the curb and get out of my truck, and a lady walking in the shop says "I love your music" I had the Staler Brothers, I'll Go to my Grave Loving You on in my truck. I get inside and the lady behind the counter goes "Oh, I love your hat, Tom!" The first lady turns around and says "I love your music, she loves your hat, you can't lose!"

bradbraden

New in Town
Great thread, I was in a halloween contest in work as Indiana Jones 3 years ago. I was actually wearing a Henschel Safari hat(I know it isn't even close to Indys hat, but it was all I had). Girls in the office were telling me how hot I looked! What an ego boost that was. Also an older woman in the office said to me that I should wear hats. That episode plus the fact that I always have loved the Fedora look led me to purchase my Christy's adventurer a couple of months ago. Now I wonder why I waited so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic