Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

yookee

New in Town
We were outside a bar and two 20 something females near me were getting a picture taken by their female friend. But their friend kept moving to an angle to include me in the photo...it was kind of humorous. For whatever reason, I boldly said, "would you like me in the photo". Their answer was a resounding yes. Many photos later, and with them trying on my lid, and my personal ego at all time high, I realized it had nothing to do with me at all. lol

We were outside a bar and two 20 something females near me were getting a picture taken by their female friend. But their friend kept moving to an angle to include me in the photo...it was kind of humorous. For whatever reason, I boldly said, "would you like me in the photo". Their answer was a resounding yes. Many photos later, and with them trying on my lid, and my personal ego at all time high, I realized it had nothing to do with me at all. lol

Whatever works, right?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab

The advertisement was right!!!lol

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Well, this was sort of a compliment, but it was a bit odd in its delivery. I went to a birthday party downtown and I wore a nice conservative suit, tie, hat et cetera... All the ladies at the party were dressed to the nines, and all the men were wearing T-Shirts and jeans. The Birthday gal sees me in my suit and looks at me perplexed and asks why I am dressed so nicely... now I know she was trying to be polite, but I realized that she honestly did not expect men to dress nicely to her party or at all...in spite of the fact that she and her friends all looked stunning. The hypocrisy was stunning.

Well, this was sort of a compliment, but it was a bit odd in its delivery. I went to a birthday party downtown and I wore a nice conservative suit, tie, hat et cetera... All the ladies at the party were dressed to the nines, and all the men were wearing T-Shirts and jeans. The Birthday gal sees me in my suit and looks at me perplexed and asks why I am dressed so nicely... now I know she was trying to be polite, but I realized that she honestly did not expect men to dress nicely to her party or at all...in spite of the fact that she and her friends all looked stunning. The hypocrisy was stunning.

It's a shame, really, even if the gentlemen did not wear suits, at least a button down shirt, sweater and khakis or cords. Of course, you probably outshown them all, with all the ladies present, so not such a bad deal for you.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Actually, I was pretty much ignored by the women, due to my dressiness, so I put on my hat and left. No worries, none of those dames were the least bit interesting.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
I got a hat trick today

Today I went out of my office to walk in mid-afternoon. At my age (57 at last count) I sometimes get drowsy after sitting at my desk all day, anyway, I can use the exercise. I'm down 35 lbs. with 10 more to go.

I was wearing one of Tony Brouner's fedoras. It is black, with a wide silver ribbon and two bows, a silver one in the front, backed by a black one, with a silver knot with a black vertical line down the center. I was also wearing a black suit with dark orange pin stripes (Binkie Beaumont has the same one posted somewhere on the lounge) made by Prince Henry in Bangkok, a black tie with an orange stripe, a very dark blue overcoat and a white silk scarf.

When I got in the elevator, a young woman said, "I really like your hat."

About twenty minutes later, as I crossed an intersection, a woman in her 40's pulled up to the curb in her car just after I passed her in the cross-walk. She had her window down and said, "I don't know who's responsible for it, but that is a really great look!".

Not more than ten minutes after that, I passed two men walking, one of whom was wearing a homburg. He said, "Nice chapeau, sir."

randooch

I'll Lock Up

When met with perplexed looks or questions about my decent dress, I reply, "It's out of respect for those around me." Probably does no good, but I like to set an example, and it never hurts to look better than the slovenly- dressed folks around you.

Gromulus

Practically Family
I can't say I get many comments when wearing a hat - positive or negative. I always wear a hat to church services but while attending Mass a few weeks ago wearing my Moonstone Akubra Stylemaster (just dressed in a sport coat and tie) the greeter at the door said something to the toon of "the fedora makes it!". This weekend we were attending a birthday party for a nephew and my 82 year old father-in-law said "sharp hat" when I walked in with my Silverbelly Campdraft. My wife was wearing her "new" Akubra Pastoralist and her sisters complimented her on the hat as well. Of course a brother-in-law called us "The Hatfields" in jest.

LordBest

Practically Family
My sister received her first compliment from strangers regarding her vintage look. Going into the cinema wearing a 50s style coat dress, stockings, vintagesque hair and correct make up, a trio of girls dressed in the height of contemporary fashion looked her up and down and said to her 'You make us looks like total sluts'.

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

My sister received her first compliment from strangers regarding her vintage look. Going into the cinema wearing a 50s style coat dress, stockings, vintagesque hair and correct make up, a trio of girls dressed in the height of contemporary fashion looked her up and down and said to her 'You make us looks like total sluts'.

Hal

Practically Family
...I wore a nice conservative suit, tie, hat et cetera... All the ladies at the party were dressed to the nines, and all the men were wearing T-Shirts and jeans...
Such an occurrence is not unusual on this side of the Atlantic. I wonder what its cause is.

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I've been wearing Hats for a number of years now and I'll concur with the general theme that most comments directed towards me have been positive. I doubt that a single day has passed without at least one satisfactory comment from a passer by. I can hardly count the times that I've been shouted at from the sidewalks as I've cruised by or sat at a red light. In fact, just this past friday, wearing my new "Zoot" style fedora by Scala, I recieved three such shout-outs as I drove through town. Fun Hat!
It's people judging a book by it's cover and they like the class that a "Real", sharp hat conveys.

Nazarin

New in Town
I was waiting for a tram, which would take me to the university. It was a cold, bright winter morning. At one moment I saw my female colleague, so I approached her, greeted her and doffed my hat. "Excellent hat!" - that was one of the first things she said. We were standing on the tram stop and I was holding the hat in my hands. She made a remark that it is unhealthy to walk bareheaded in such a freezing weather, then i replied that the etiquette requires to have the hat doffed while meeting a lady. In reality I just felt that I could show her my affection by this simple gesture. The whole scene had a bitter-sweet taste for me. That was one of my most cherished compliments - coming from a girl I am very fond of... but I just cannot believe she had chosen a non-hatter over me.:eusa_doh: :D

Last edited:

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
When I got in the elevator, a young woman said, "I really like your hat."

I hope you remembered to take off your hat! Or was she in the elevator?

Anyway today when wearing my homburg a man said that I have a nice hat and it suits me. He also asked how much it cost. Later a woman said I have a nice hat and asked if I'm going to a party. :D

Hell's Belle

New in Town

This made my day!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
The other day while in our local Target I ran into a husband and wife couple both wearing fedoras. Hers looked like a Stetson Temple in dark brown, his looked vintage in sort of the whiskey color. He paid the first compliment in passing by saying "Fantastic hat", and I thanked him and returned the compliment.
It's really the first couple in our area that I have seen wearing a real hat, not one of those psudo-cloth fedoras, but an honest felt fedora that isn't a cowboy hat. Quite refreshing and it made my day as well.

Cheers!

Dan

fluteplayer07

One Too Many

Gives me some hope for the future. Great story! :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany