Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars
I average about one Al Capone remark a week.I don't mind.The best compliment was the first time I wore my steel Biltmore to my mothers.I had looked for a long time to find one similar to those I remebered my grandfather wearing,almost 50 years ago.She told me she thought it was her dad walking up to the house.Thats all I needed to hear to know I got the hat right.

martinsantos

Practically Family
This is from yesterday. Raining a lot, I called a cab. "Where is the show?", asked the driver. I laught and asked to go to the Court.

"Are they playing shows there, now?!" After I explained that I just like hats, the driver told "that's REALLY cool. But I just see musicians using this kind of thing!".

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I average about one Al Capone remark a week.I don't mind.The best compliment was the first time I wore my steel Biltmore to my mothers.I had looked for a long time to find one similar to those I remebered my grandfather wearing,almost 50 years ago.She told me she thought it was her dad walking up to the house.Thats all I needed to hear to know I got the hat right.

Cool story.

Mr. Garrulus

One of the Regulars
I don't know if it was because of the hat or my overall clothing with suit and tie with black dress shoes and the overcoat I use every day. Anyway a group of kids commented how good I look and asked If I'm going to a party. Then they asked why am I so well dressed if I'm not going to a party, I just told them that sometimes you want to look good :).

Having some riff-raff troubles with the bar next door, so I had to go over there to take care of it and while talking to a crowd of people, a fella asked if he could buy my hat from me, offering me 'all the money in his wallet' for it, because he thought it was 'so awesome.' I politely declined and then he offered to buy my boots from me lol

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday I stopped at a department store to buy a small gift for the lady I'm going to visit in Pittsburgh later this month. I was wearing dark blue slacks, a light pink button-down oxford shirt, and my nougat-colored Stetson Temple.

After she helped me with my purchase, the saleslady looked at me and said, "My advice is, dress just like that if you want to impress her."

thebroker

One of the Regulars
A few days ago, I took a leisurely walk to the local post office, and on the way back, crossing the parking lot at the local Natural Gas company, an employee that I've never actually met but who I've said hello to a thousand times over the years stopped me. He said "I've been meaning to tell you for months how much I love your hats".

thebroker

One of the Regulars

What a great compliment!! On more than one occasion I've been told that my hats make me look like somebody from yester-year who I respect a whole lot. I always take this as a great compliment.

I would normally PM, but I don't believe you have enough posts yet for PMs...your screenname is from one of my all-time favorite TV shows. :)

Fedora Jay

Familiar Face
My sister received her first compliment from strangers regarding her vintage look. Going into the cinema wearing a 50s style coat dress, stockings, vintagesque hair and correct make up, a trio of girls dressed in the height of contemporary fashion looked her up and down and said to her 'You make us looks like total sluts'.

That's one of the greatest comments I've ever heard!

Yesterday I was working at my wife's worksite. After we'd clocked out, we were hanging around in the warehouse talking to some friends. I was wearing my Stetson Chatham. One of the IT guys shows up to chat with us. He takes a good long look at my hat, and says, "That's a nice fedora! Where'd you get it? Is there someplace local I can get one like that?" So I tell him where I got it and a bit about it, and he makes a comment about me being a hat guy. I tell him yeah, and he should see my new hat I've got coming. He then he says, "Is it red?" in a voice that oozed 'man, a red fedora would be kick ass!'. I start laughing, and pull up the ebay auction on my phone to show him the dark red Stetson 3x I just won, and he flips out saying how he wants one exactly like that! I bet next time I see him, he'll have picked up a fedora himself.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Hat commentary was rampant this weekend. Wearing my Clearwater derby into work, a colleague said she saw me from a distance and thought it was Chaplin reincarnate. Hm-- maybe I should pay more attention to how I walk, but she meant it in a positive light, so that's how I'll take it... Then wearing my black 1 7/8" overwelt brim Adam hat to the grocery store later, a lady says "Now I really like that hat on you."
Thank you.
"You didn't find that around here, did you?"
No ma'am, certainly not. Have a good afternoon!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Yesterday, cutting across the park toward my car, wearing my moonstone Fed, I collected a "Nice hat!" from a passing lady. I seem to get very few comments on my hats around here; this joint is already full of dressers who are, shall we say, idiosyncratic, and so I don't stand out. (Except, of course, for being better turned out in general.)

We'll see if people in Pittsburgh notice my whiskey VS Tucker when I visit next week.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Visited Miceli's Italian Restaurant in Hollywood last night; wore a late-'50s SB gray suit, with a reddish, square bottomed necktie. One of the older paisano waiters, who in his former life was a musician (the ukulele-playing you hear on "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" is him) looked at me and began to reminisce how men in Hollywood would dress up in the 1950s and '60s, and how he missed those days. So, not necessarily a "nicest comment," but wistful memories from a Hollywood fixture...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Well, I didn't attract any positive or negative attention earlier this week while on the ground in Pittsburgh (cool town, by the way). But as I boarded my flight in NO, my whiskey VS Tucker in hand, the stewardess actually took me aside to murmur, "So nice to see a gentleman not wearing his hat indoors!"

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Well, I didn't attract any positive or negative attention earlier this week while on the ground in Pittsburgh (cool town, by the way). But as I boarded my flight in NO, my whiskey VS Tucker in hand, the stewardess actually took me aside to murmur, "So nice to see a gentleman not wearing his hat indoors!"

Which shows that some people (besides Loungers and their kin) still know what is proper.

Received some letters from a fifth grade class at City Honors school in Buffalo after a recent talk I did for their science class. This one fits the bill for this thread I think...

kathryn_diina2.jpg

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Alanfgag - That must make it all worthwhile? Such a sweet letter!

An elderly couple, who run a gallery in my town stopped me the other day and said how they often saw me walking round town and how glamorous and different from everyone else i looked. That was a very nice compliment and boosted the old morale no end!

email68

One of the Regulars
Had a couple of interesting run ins at work.

First, I got to a meeting and took off by BG Camp Draft and set it in a chair. As the rest of my coworkers arrived one at a time, three of them separately asked, "Where's your hat!?".

Second, I work as technical support for a 911 dispatch. I had taken my Henry off and left it in an office since I was chasing down some wiring. When I entered the dispatch center the ladies turned and said, "Where's your hat?". I said I had left it in an office. They had me go back and get it! Lol

Tim

Allen

New in Town
My girlfriend and I walked into a home decor store not too long ago, both wearing our summer straw hats, and were complimented by the lady running the shop. She told us that hats were back in style, and that she was glad to see that we knew it. When we left, she told us to come back again, and that she enjoyed seeing us and our hats. Another surprisingly well received accessory I choose to don on occasion are my white spats. I wore them into the hat store I usually shop at, and was told by the guy that he has actually had several people come in asking for those in the past. Interesting, huh?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy