Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

ottawa_adam

One of the Regulars
A combination of nice and weird conversation happened to me yesterday.

I was standing in the queue at Costco wearing my Dobbs stingy when the cashier asked, "What are you supposed to be?" I responded with, "Me."

She then asked, "So your hat isn't part of a costume?" Me, "Nope." I mentioned that my hat was an older, vintage piece, then a conversation ensued about our addictions for online shopping. :)

Simultaneously, a senior-citizen gentleman in front of the line turned to me and remarked, "It's nice to see people wearing hats again."

I felt good after that and tipped my hat to the gentleman.

Justin B

One Too Many
I got "Nice costume" the other day from some dude wearing his jeans around his knees and his ball cap on sideways.

Then he asked "What are you supposed to be?" to which I replied

"An adult, you should try it."

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I got "Nice costume" the other day from some dude wearing his jeans around his knees and his ball cap on sideways.

:rofl:

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Thats awesome. I just laughed incredibly loud in my office cube. LOL.

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "Boys wear baseball caps; men wear hats."

Not sure if anyone of note first said this. If not, then I'll claim it!

Bob Beecher

One of the Regulars
...She then asked, "So your hat isn't part of a costume?" ....

Since I wore my Indy ensemble yesterday for the office Halloween event, it shouldn't have surprised me when, as I walked past our VP of Communications this morning wearing my recently acquired Resistol hat, she quips, "You don't have to wear your costume today, too!"

True, I had on my Indy jacket, and I can understand her not being able to tell the difference in fedoras, but, as I replied to her, "Well, I'm not wearing my whip or holster. Alright?!"

Meh.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up

That is amusing ... :D

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I got one of the few remarks about the hat I wear this morning at my horses vet while picking up some meds for one of my horses. He's a young guy probably mid-forties I'd say, bright carrot red hair and during the summer he's one big freckle all over even though he wears a ball cap. :) I was at the front counter paying for my meds when he came out of the back and saw my Bushman and said "...now THAT'S a REAL hat!! Looks good , where can I get one like that ?" I filled him in on Akubra's and even left him the copy of my latest DM catalog I had in the car. Looks like he's gonna become one of the Akubra fold this year!! As I said, I don't get many remarks about my hat, but this was nice for a change :)

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes: "Boys wear baseball caps; men wear hats."

Not sure if anyone of note first said this. If not, then I'll claim it!

There was a similar line in Boardwalk Empire with the character being addressed was Al Capone. It was about a flat cap instead of a baseball cap & haven't seen the character in a cap in an episode since....

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I received a nice compliment this morning. I was riding the train on the way to work this morning and saw an empty seat next to a pretty girl, so I took a seat. We didn't say a word the whole time, but when her stop was approaching she said "excuse me" to get up and turned to me and said, "I love your hat" with a big smile. Then said, "Its really good." It was a nice way to start the morning.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have to share.... This morning, I completed a trail section on our local reserve and started walking down the local neighborhood street. I do it many times a week with the dogs at my side. A woman who I see out in her yard at least once a week, looked up today and yelled - you always have such nice "pimp hats." She was wearing the natural easy smile and body movements of being genuine. I waved my thanks to the woman and continued following my dogs. The first words of greeting, ever, nice pimp hats. I do not know any pimps, but they must look sharp in their Cav hats (dark blue ink with rich burgundy trim)! Do pimps cut their own firewood? when I am done with my splitting this morning, I better to speak to my wife about a change of duties.

Pimped out in my Cav, Eric -

Last edited:

mercuryfelt76

One of the Regulars
I always go to work in a 3 piece suit, bow tie and homburg. I have the look in grey, black and brown. I also live in a pretty working class area with lots of hip hop styled kids. I quite often get comments like "pimp" or "gangsta" but meant in a complimentary way. I must admit my style seems to be quite popular with the ladies and I have been complimented by girls more times in the last few years of wearing my vintage fashion than the rest of my life wearing the latest style of jeans, sneakers and T-shirts. And with Boardwalk Empire being so popular here, more and more people are noticing the finer details of my look.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have to share.... This morning, I completed a trail section on our local reserve and started walking down the local neighborhood street. I do it many times a week with the dogs at my side. A woman who I see out in her yard at least once a week, looked up today and yelled - you always have such nice "pimp hats." She was wearing the natural easy smile and body movements of being genuine. I waved my thanks to the woman and continued following my dogs. The first words of greeting, ever, nice pimp hats. I do not know any pimps, but they must look sharp in their Cav hats (dark blue ink with rich burgundy trim)! Do pimps cut their own firewood? when I am done with my splitting this morning, I better to speak to my wife about a change of duties.

Pimped out in my Cav, Eric -

Did you give her 'the pose'?

SuperStock_1785R-3101.jpg

Selfportait.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran