Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

TrueBlue

New in Town
First off: Hi! I'm glad to be here in possibly the most awesome forum ever!

Second: Woo! First post!

Now, I'm only recently into wearing hats (my first being a fairly standard black wool trilby now covered in dog hairs and in desperate need of a lint-roller before I go to work tomorrow morning), and the difference when you wear one is fantastic! People I don't know talk to me (being 19 years old means most people assume I'm a hoodlum these days, despite the shirt-trouser classic combo that I wear), and the smiles from the pretty ladies...oh my! So I look forward to asking your advice on hats and what to wear with them!

I gotta say, though, that the best comment I got was from a lovely lady who, completely at random, attached herself to my arm just outside the theatre before telling me I looked like "the perfect Englishman" and asking where I was sat! As it turns out, I was in another section, but we grabbed a drink during the interval and I'm meeting her again next week! So now my friends all know about the wonders of the hat and I expect to see many more covered heads in the future 'round my area!

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, TrueBlue!

That's a heck of a great first post! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

It'll only get better from here... but be warned, the hat-buying bug bites hard.:D

Cheers,
Tom

Chuck Bobuck

Practically Family
TrueBlue said:

Now, I'm only recently into wearing hats (my first being a fairly standard black wool trilby now covered in dog hairs and in desperate need of a lint-roller before I go to work tomorrow morning), and the difference when you wear one is fantastic! People I don't know talk to me (being 19 years old means most people assume I'm a hoodlum these days, despite the shirt-trouser classic combo that I wear), and the smiles from the pretty ladies...oh my! So I look forward to asking your advice on hats and what to wear with them!

I gotta say, though, that the best comment I got was from a lovely lady who, completely at random, attached herself to my arm just outside the theatre before telling me I looked like "the perfect Englishman" and asking where I was sat! As it turns out, I was in another section, but we grabbed a drink during the interval and I'm meeting her again next week! So now my friends all know about the wonders of the hat and I expect to see many more covered heads in the future 'round my area!

Greetings TrueBlue! I think we should be seeking your advice. :)

TopSpin

New in Town
TrueBlue said:

That's classic, my friend. :eusa_clap
Young hat wearers unite!

TrueBlue

New in Town
Tango Yankee said:
Welcome, TrueBlue!

That's a heck of a great first post! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

It'll only get better from here... but be warned, the hat-buying bug bites hard.:D

Cheers,
Tom

Well, I do try and make an entrance! And I'm doing rather well with Amazon and eBay at the moment - fairly good deals to be found (a panama for £10/$15 inc. p+p - not the highest quality, but it'll do for work in the summer - things...don't tend to last particularly long around my place of work), but I'm on the lookout for higher-quality stuff for when I'm on a night out.

Scion - the welcome so far is most fulfilling - I can see myself hanging around!

Chuck - haha! Perhaps, but then, I think I may have lucked out there ;) At any rate, I'm stuck with what to wear for the majority of the time, and moreso will be when the collection expands! I daresay you'll all be of great help to me yet!

TopSpin - Huzzah! For glory! For justice! For young men with lids!

Bingles

A-List Customer
TrueBlue said:

Welcome aboard, and great story!! I hope it works out for you! ;)

Goose.

Practically Family
TB...GREAT first post.

Today I got three "atta hatta boyz".
In my watering hole, a gal that I'd never seen before said, as I walked in, to her boyfriend/brother/dad/uncle/daddy-uncle if you're from WVA, "that man can wear a hat. How handsome that fedora makes him look". I stopped, and she was a bit embarrassed that I heard, as I tipped my hat to her and her gent and said "thank you".

Later, a guy I know said, "Goose, you never wear a bad hat". And his buddy said "If I was to wear a hat, it would be that one". Another guy hanging around said "he don't skimp".

So, I guess that's four in one day. But I think the gal must've been on Akurbra time...meaning it was 2am (closing time) for her ;)

Click the pic:

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Goose. said:
TB...GREAT first post.

Today I got three "atta hatta boyz".
In my watering hole, a gal that I'd never seen before said, as I walked in, to her boyfriend/brother/dad/uncle/daddy-uncle if you're form WVA, "that man can wear a hat. How handsome that fedora makes him look". I stopped, and she was a bit embarrassed that I heard, as I tipped my hat to her and her gent and said "thank you".

Later, a guy I know said, "Goose, you never wear a bad hat". And his buddy said "If I was to wear a hat, it would be that one". Another guy hanging around said "he don't skimp".

So, I guess that's four in one day. But I think the gal must've been on Akurbra time...meaning it was 2o'clock for her ;)

Click the pic:

You had some day! Hilariouslol lol

D00R

One of the Regulars
I was wearing my Stetson Royal when i went food shopping with my girlfriend and we were getting coldcuts and this older lady said out of nowhere that "i look over powering in that hat!"
she said she thought i looked really good in it, and we had a conversation about hats and old movies.

probably best comment i ever got about a hat, i usually get them when i wear my vintage roayl.:eek:

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I walk in to Uni together, since she works there and I study. Today I was wearing my green tweed '34 trousers, sweater vest, blue suit jacket, bowtie and hard collar, and 40's Lee fedora. My wife was wearing her green 50's pattern maternity outfit, green high spats, long white embroidered gloves, wool wrap, and a 40's woman's felt hat.

There's a young lady we pass going opposite directions most days, and today she stopped and said "You two look amazing today!"

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Navy blue Irish linen suit, light grey Parabuntal, Gravati English tan captoe shoes, Ronsirs with old fashioned clip ons...

Staff member says: "You look like you should be in Morocco!"lol :eek:

I wish... Marrakesh...Fez... Casablanca...Tangiers...where exactly?:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Goose.

Practically Family
Nick D said:

There's a young lady we pass going opposite directions most days, and today she stopped and said "You two look amazing today!"
Wow, how nice to compliment you as a couple. That's wonderful. Hope it made both your day's :eusa_clap

ortega76

Practically Family
"Bow tie pimp"

I was wearing my black porkpie, and a vest instead of jacket. I was wearing a bow tie. Walked in to this little sandwich shop for coffee and an egg sandwich before work. A couple of older cats shouted out "my man" and "bow tie pimp". I got a fist bump then grabbed my coffee.

At least I think it was meant as a compliment.

WildCelt

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
Amaizing that the term pimp could be considered as a compliment or a term of endearment. Tells you a little something about the current days.

You know, I understand that for many, the term "pimp" is a compliment and I try to take it as it's given, but I really don't like being likened to someone who rents out women for a living.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
This morning I was sitting in my doctor's office waiting room, wearing business casual (sport coat, tie, dress trousers, saddleshoes, holding my hat) when the door opened and my doc appeared to collect a patient. He spotted me and asked "Here for a shot?" I nodded, and he said "You look sharp!" and ducked back inside while I chuckled and groaned.

Cheers,
Tom

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
WildCelt said:
You know, I understand that for many, the term "pimp" is a compliment and I try to take it as it's given, but I really don't like being likened to someone who rents out women for a living.

Indeed, it is incredible to me that a term used for what we used to consider scum is now a compliment. Of course, I remember when something that was "bad" was cool!lol

Cheers,
Tom

kaosharper1

One Too Many
2 compliments in 2 days. Yesterday I was wearing my VS custom and a lady said "You look very dapper" as she passed me on the street. This morning a gentleman said "Nice Fedora" to my vintage Borsalino. It may have helped that I was wearing a sports jacket yesterday (no tie) and a db suit and tie today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff