Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE NIGHT WATCH - Another great drama from BBC

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just had the pleasure of watching this great adaptation by the BBC set in 40's wartime London - GREAT stuff!!

Synopsis:

Set against the turbulent backdrop of London in the 1940s, this adaptation of Sarah Waters' best-selling novel, The Night Watch, follows four young Londoners inextricably linked by their wartime experiences. In a time when the barriers of sexual morality and social convention have been broken down, Kay, Helen, Viv and Duncan enjoy a freedom never experienced before.

Moving back in time through the 1940s into the maelstrom of the Blitz, the lives, loves and losses of these four central characters are unravelled. For them, the post war victory is bittersweet, for it returns them to the margins of society from which they hoped they had been liberated. In order to build their future they must each make peace with their past.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I saw this too Paddy and I have to say I was dissapointed. I haven't read the book and I'm sure that's better, but I found I didn't really care about the characters. It looked nothing like London either.

Mind you, the clothes were to die for!

Mr. Godfrey

Practically Family
What I find odd is the amount of money the BBC must have spent on this, only to use a maglite sprayed green with a large nut attached. I know it was only in shot for about 20 seconds (in the bombed out house) but I find it annoying. Other than that I enjoyed it.

Same for a modern radiator on the landing in the BBC drama "Land Girls" why not cover it up with a bit of sprayed MDF, they went to the trouble of making everything else seem period only to let themselves down with this.

Drappa

One Too Many
I thought it was pretty boring for the first two thirds, and by that time I had lost interest in the characters and the more exciting last third didn't really save it. Great costumes, but all in all a bit meh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats