Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

RBH

Bartender
Texas Rangers in South Texas

11896221_1010268455671950_2332421231302271990_o.jpg

The Texas Rangers who shot Bonnie & Clyde. Frank Hamer, seated on the far right...

A_Frank_Hamer.jpg
Not that it matters, but only Hamer (bottom right) and B.M. "Manny" Gault (top right) were former Texas Rangers. Bob Alcorn (bottom left) and Ted Hinton (top left) were Dallas County Sheriff's Deputies, and Henderson Jordan (bottom center) and Prentiss Morel Oakley (top center) were Sheriff and Chief Deputy (respectively) in Bienville Parish in north Louisiana. Oakley reportedly fired the first shot, which is believed to have killed Clyde Barrow instantly, but he and Jordan later expressed regret publicly that the couple weren't given an opportunity to surrender.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Not that it matters, but only Hamer (bottom right) and B.M. "Manny" Gault (top right) were former Texas Rangers. Bob Alcorn (bottom left) and Ted Hinton (top left) were Dallas County Sheriff's Deputies, and Henderson Jordan (bottom center) and Prentiss Morel Oakley (top center) were Sheriff and Chief Deputy (respectively) in Bienville Parish in north Louisiana. Oakley reportedly fired the first shot, which is believed to have killed Clyde Barrow instantly, but he and Jordan later expressed regret publicly that the couple weren't given an opportunity to surrender.

Clarification noted. I thought the ambush was an unfortunate ending, but given Bonnie & Clyde's brief history, shooting it out first and asking questions later, I don't think they would have surrendered peacefully.

“No man but the undertaker will ever get me. If officers ever cripple me to where I see they will take me alive, I’ll take my own life,” Barrow vowed.

Clarification noted. I thought the ambush was an unfortunate ending, but given Bonnie & Clyde's brief history, shooting it out first and asking questions later, I don't think they would have surrendered peacefully.
I agree. The murders of highway patrolmen H.D. Murphy and Edward Bryant Wheeler by Barrow and Henry Methvin nearly two months before the ambush put additional pressure on Hamer and his posse. Hamer had studied Barrow's methods and tactics and must surely have concluded that a firefight would ensue if Barrow had any warning that the posse was lying in wait for them, and didn't want to risk injury to, or death of, any members of the posse.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Damn ... and you still remember it.

Ha! My long term memory's still pretty good. Can't say much about my eyesight and hearing though, so the wife says. I was nearly 17 then. My Uncle was a truck driver and I traveled with him that Summer from Ohio to California. I can remember when we stopped at restaurants for breakfast through the Southern States we were always served a side dish of grits with every meal.

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
Ha! My long term memory's still pretty good. Can't say much about my eyesight and hearing though, so the wife says. I was nearly 17 then. My Uncle was a truck driver and I traveled with him that Summer from Ohio to California. I can remember when we stopped at restaurants for breakfast through the Southern States we were always served a side dish of grits with every meal.
ah ah I made the same thing but with my sister husband. Travelled by truck (it was a green DAF 3000 with beds in the cabin) from Portugal to Germany and returned. Crossed Spain, France, Belgium and Holand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic