Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

I ran across this 8x10 photo of cowboys at the local Salvation Army thrift. I didn't need to own it, but took a cell phone pic. Call me "Bub" ...

27345038874_8937ace459_c.jpg

I ran across this 8x10 photo of cowboys at the local Salvation Army thrift. I didn't need to own it, but took a cell phone pic. Call me "Bub" ...

27345038874_8937ace459_c.jpg
Bub..."looks like a lady"! Sorry, couldn't pass that up.
The two young guys on horseback are probably ladies too.

Last edited:
A photo of a St. Paul, MN Negro League team I keep in my office. I've always assumed the men in the bowlers were the owner and manager.

Picture5.jpg

Apparently with reflection of yours truly in the image, as well! The information with the photo stated that there was no further details on the subjects of the pic, as their identities and the team history have gone down the memory hole. So I decided they would be famous in my office, at least!

The Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City might have information on the team. It's a great museum & worth your time if you are ever in the area.

http://www.nlbm.com

The photo, along with a couple others in my office, was cribbed from a calendar from Ken Burns' "Baseball" PBS series. They were such nice prints I cut some out, had some mats cut , and framed three of them. I figure if Burns didn't track anything down on them, I wouldn't either. I'd love to go to the KC Museum; it's definitely on my list. Their website doesn't list any teams from Minnesota, though.

My fave pic from the calendar, and probably my fave baseball pic of all time (and hanging right next to my desk):

Picture7.jpg

Honus was the man!

A photo of a St. Paul, MN Negro League team I keep in my office. I've always assumed the men in the bowlers were the owner and manager.
My guess is the man in the back row wearing the derby is Phil Reid & this is his team.

"Black businessman Phil “Daddy” Reid established Minnesota’s first all-black professional ball club, the St. Paul Colored Gophers, in 1907, gathering top talent from Chicago and elsewhere. Home-grown Bobby Marshall became the “star slugger” on the Colored Gophers team in 1909, when the Colored Gophers claimed the championship of black baseball by defeating Rube Foster’s Chicago Leland Giants three games to two. The Colored Gophers barnstormed throughout the Upper Midwest for five years, 1907–1911, bringing a fast and colorful brand of black baseball to towns that had never before seen an African American ballplayer on their local diamonds."

http://sabr.org/research/john-donaldson-and-black-baseball-minnesota

My guess is the man in the back row wearing the derby is Phil Reid & this is his team.

"Black businessman Phil “Daddy” Reid established Minnesota’s first all-black professional ball club, the St. Paul Colored Gophers, in 1907, gathering top talent from Chicago and elsewhere. Home-grown Bobby Marshall became the “star slugger” on the Colored Gophers team in 1909, when the Colored Gophers claimed the championship of black baseball by defeating Rube Foster’s Chicago Leland Giants three games to two. The Colored Gophers barnstormed throughout the Upper Midwest for five years, 1907–1911, bringing a fast and colorful brand of black baseball to towns that had never before seen an African American ballplayer on their local diamonds."

http://sabr.org/research/john-donaldson-and-black-baseball-minnesota

Thanks, I never took the time to look into it. I preferred the mystery. Thanks for ruining that for me, HJ. :p

Thanks, I never took the time to look into it. I preferred the mystery. Thanks for ruining that for me, HJ. :p
Sorry about that; if I had known I wouldn't have said anything. I was curious myself because the various leagues only ran about 20 yrs total yet accomplished a lot. Now my curiosity is zeroing in on the team owner, Phil Reid. But if I find anything out about him I'll keep it to myself.

Sorry about that; if I had known I wouldn't have said anything. I was curious myself because the various leagues only ran about 20 yrs total yet accomplished a lot. Now my curiosity is zeroing in on the team owner, Phil Reid. But if I find anything out about him I'll keep it to myself.

Nah, the gates have been opened. Keep the info coming; now my curiosity is piqued!

It's definitely Reid. He was a successful entrepreneur & an interesting man. He put together this team & won the league championship in 1909 but soon became discouraged as his players left for other teams & bigger pay checks. By 1911 he was completely discouraged with baseball & the league, & he died in 1912. When he died he left behind an estate worth $15,000 which was eventually awarded by the courts to his grandniece in 1915.

He owned the smoke shop being advertised on the scoreboard.

2iuz68z.jpg

29fp08i.jpg

http://www.citypages.com/news/for-o...-were-on-st-pauls-black-baseball-team-6536145

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo