Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

I know LOL!

but the thing is....nothing is new today.....everything is a copy of days gone by ... noting new under the sun

like this,... an anonymous mask from the 20s or 30s

I'm curious about where you got the idea that the mask in this photo dated back to the 20s or 30s. I found a larger and unedited version of the photo online, and it's clearly a modern photo of someone wearing one of the plastic masks that was mass-produced after the movie V For Vendetta became popular.

TG5FJ6x.jpg

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious about where you got the idea that the mask in this photo dated back to the 20s or 30s. I found a larger and unedited version of the photo online, and it's clearly a modern photo of someone wearing one of the plastic masks that was mass-produced after the movie V For Vendetta became popular.

TG5FJ6x.jpg

You’re right about that mask.
Although the Guy Fawkes thing goes way back to the 1600s.
Most likely the mask like the image of Santa Claus has evolved over time.
48ff65e93e94e1e67c009992733ed94d.jpg

1934:
3398341.jpg

1940s
_58419094_fawkesold.jpg

Ho ho ho! :)
Nikola_from_1294.jpg
"St. Nicholas” as he appears on a Russian icon dated to
1294 from Lipnya Church of St. Nicholas in Novgorod.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Stetson ad
2zelzyc.jpg

Warmly toned silver gelatin print advertising Stetson Hats/ Made to Last a Lifetime, featuring a portrait of an American Indian with a well-worn Stetson cowboy hat atop his head, 7.75 x 9.75 in. (sight), under original mat with gilt imprint of Carl Moon/ 565 N. Mentor Ave./ Pasadena, Cal., and framed, 11.5 x 14.5 in. A fine image produced by Moon and used by the Stetson Hat Company to promote their hat wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana