Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
The Progressive Farmer went into print in the 1880's as a newspaper, switched to a magazine format in 1903 & is still in print today.

View attachment 212796

That's an interesting photo, for several reasons! Intriguing chair design, and I'm pretty curious about the boots he's wearing, too. Not quite enough detail/contrast to get a good handle on how they are made.

I'm pretty curious about the boots he's wearing, too.
I wondered about those & worked on the contrast too. With the lace up & the heels I think they might be a Packer type of Western Boot. As you probably know Packers are supposed to be good walking on uneven ground. Always wanted a pair of Paul Bonds.

IMG_7712.jpg

IMG_7713.JPG

Last edited:

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I wondered about those & worked on the contrast too. With the lace up & the heels I think they might be a Packer type of Western Boot. As you probably know Packers are supposed to be good walking on uneven ground. Always wanted a pair of Paul Bonds.

View attachment 212814

View attachment 212815

What I couldn't figure out was that dark area on the instep. Just a darker piece of leather, I reckon? It gets clouded with the heel and I couldn't really tell what is what. I'm always curious how older boots and shoes are made. Thanks for posting the photo!

What I couldn't figure out was that dark area on the instep. Just a darker piece of leather, I reckon? It gets clouded with the heel and I couldn't really tell what is what. I'm always curious how older boots and shoes are made. Thanks for posting the photo!
Blowing out the exposure might help. The outside of the left appears to be the same as the inside of the right boot. Probably just the way they were pieced together, differently than done today.

I think they have hooks all the way up instead of holes for the laces. Something like the old button hightops maybe?

IMG_7715.jpg

IMG_7714.JPG

Woodtroll

One Too Many

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner