Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

EC2757A4-8BE4-4E77-8DE2-C58B78AD6047.jpeg

This photo is of an undetermined Georgia Tech home game during the 1918 season. The photo was taken by Georgia Tech student Thomas Carter, who would receive a degree in Mechanical Engineering in the 1920s. The photo was provided by Georgia Tech alumnus Andy McNeil. Additional thanks to @GeorgiaTechFB and @CabreraAngel.

From a story by college football writer Tony Barnhart.

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/spanish-flu

View attachment 233236
This photo is of an undetermined Georgia Tech home game during the 1918 season. The photo was taken by Georgia Tech student Thomas Carter, who would receive a degree in Mechanical Engineering in the 1920s. The photo was provided by Georgia Tech alumnus Andy McNeil. Additional thanks to @GeorgiaTechFB and @CabreraAngel.

From a story by college football writer Tony Barnhart.

https://www.si.com/college/tmg/tony-barnhart/spanish-flu
Ramblin' wreck from Georgia Tech.;)

I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech, and a hell of an engineer—
A helluva, helluva, helluva, helluva, hell of an engineer.
Like all the jolly good fellows, I drink my whiskey clear.
I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a hell of an engineer.

Oh! If I had a daughter, sir, I'd dress her in White and Gold,
And put her on the campus to cheer the brave and bold.
But if I had a son, sir, I'll tell you what he'd do—
He would yell, 'To hell with Georgia!' like his daddy used to do.

Oh, I wish I had a barrel of rum and sugar three thousand pounds,
A college bell to put it in and a clapper to stir it round.
I'd drink to all the good fellows who come from far and near.
I'm a ramblin', gamblin', hell of an engineer!

Grizzly Adams

A-List Customer
Pie Town is just up the road aways from me. They have great pies, BTW. Every year they hold their annual Pie Festival with pie eating, live music, dancing and games for the kids. It's the kind of event that we rarely see anymore. Looking at the pictures, things have not changed much. More shoes on the kids.....

The guy in the "tan" hat -- behind the lady in the front row (left) -- has a heck of a mule kick.

upload_2020-5-11_19-43-11.png

Colorized 1952 crowd photo of The Missouri State Polled Hereford cattle auction in Chillicothe. Photo by Missouri Ruralist. Restoration and colorization by LongView HD. Repository: The State Historical Society of Missouri Photograph Collection.

The guy in the "tan" hat -- behind the lady in the front row (left) -- has a heck of a mule kick.

View attachment 234407

Colorized 1952 crowd photo of The Missouri State Polled Hereford cattle auction in Chillicothe. Photo by Missouri Ruralist. Restoration and colorization by LongView HD. Repository: The State Historical Society of Missouri Photograph Collection.

And the guy in front of the woman holding her program in front of her face?

I think that's Jacques Cousteau.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

View attachment 234407

I don't think I've ever seen a photo that looked so much like a Norman Rockwell painting. It's endlessly interesting to study it.

"Now maybe the damn horse will stop drinking out of my Stetson..."

upload_2020-5-14_19-35-24.png

An automatic electrically heated water fountain is examined by Harry Barton, rural supervisor for the St. Joseph Light and Power Company with Thelbert and Thelbert Jr. Childers. The horse makes use of the handy water. March 3, 1948 in St. Joseph, Missouri. Photographer unknown. Image from The State Historical Society of Missouri Photograph Collection.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
Hugh Hefner's great-grandfather?

View attachment 235567
Love this pic and it instantly made me think of back to the future 3 so it took me a bit to write this up but here goes...
Marston "Mad Dog" Hefner (c. 1885 Hill Valley, Ca.) was a notorious owner of watering troughs offering games of chance, ladies of the line and sporting women who’s job was to brighten the evenings of many a lonely man with horizontal refreshment. Most notably his most scandalous Cabaret Dinner Show “The Farmer’s Daughter Next Door”, revealed ankles, elbows and undergarments which provoked charges of obscenity. He had a short temper and a tendency to drool, which earned him the nickname 'Mad Dog'. He was quick on the trigger and bragged that he had “Put four quarters on the spit, not including whores or prostitutes, more than thrice.” However, this claim cannot be substantiated since precise records were not kept after Hefner shot a newspaper editor for printing an unfavorable story about his workers describing them as “Montgomery Ward Women” in 1884.

~ Information from the Hill Valley City Archives.

Love this pic and it instantly made me think of back to the future 3 so it took me a bit to write this up but here goes...
Marston "Mad Dog" Hefner (c. 1885 Hill Valley, Ca.) was a notorious owner of watering troughs offering games of chance, ladies of the line and sporting women who’s job was to brighten the evenings of many a lonely man with horizontal refreshment. Most notably his most scandalous Cabaret Dinner Show “The Farmer’s Daughter Next Door”, revealed ankles, elbows and undergarments which provoked charges of obscenity. He had a short temper and a tendency to drool, which earned him the nickname 'Mad Dog'. He was quick on the trigger and bragged that he had “Put four quarters on the spit, not including whores or prostitutes, more than thrice.” However, this claim cannot be substantiated since precise records were not kept after Hefner shot a newspaper editor for printing an unfavorable story about his workers describing them as “Montgomery Ward Women” in 1884.

~ Information from the Hill Valley City Archives.
Thanks for that, I enjoyed the history! I had no idea.

I'll have to admit too, it's been a long time since I saw a sexy set of elbows!

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
Thanks for that, I enjoyed the history! I had no idea.

I'll have to admit too, it's been a long time since I saw a sexy set of elbows!
:D I just realized they're holding each other's elbows! Outrageous!
Thats just a vulgar display of affection... well,I never! shield yer eyes boys... we're all goin ta hell!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Well ... now it's "asses" riding ATVs and side-by-sides, wearing t-shirts, shorts and flip-flops and tearing up and down the county road at all hours. So I guess it's not the same. :rolleyes:

upload_2020-5-18_10-9-26.png

“Riding Donkeys” Circa 1912 in Mid Missouri. Photo by Otto Kroeger. Image from The State Historical Society of Missouri Photograph Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy