Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
Jeff @bowlerman

Hoping this pic might have gotten some local coverage & the mystery of the date might be solved by now. This group pic of local naval veterans recently surfaced & appears to be multigenerational. Some of the older men are wearing GAR reunion ribbons & metals. A lot of the men have Sioux Falls officers hats. Taken in front of the courthouse perhaps?

None of the Union Ironclad gunboats were named the Sioux Falls. A search to determine how many naval ships have been named the Sioux Falls lead to this 2019 article. Unfortunately it only confuses the issue more.

https://kelo.com/news/articles/2019...uss-pierre-how-about-another-uss-sioux-falls/
Are you sure they are Civil War vets and not Spanish American War vets? Is Sioux Falls the name of the veterans camp as opposed to the name of a boat?

Are you sure they are Civil War vets and not Spanish American War vets? Is Sioux Falls the name of the veterans camp as opposed to the name of a boat?
That is a GAR ribbon, plain as day. One of several being worn.

IMG_9778.JPG

I think there are 4 museums there now, one being the Winchester Firearms Museum.

Five, according to the website. The Firearms Museum looks like fun (well, the whole place does). I did some work at the Rock Island Arsenal once and toured their firearm museum, which went pretty much back to the beginning of the US Army. I believe they had some arms recovered from the Little Big Horn.

Five, according to the website. The Firearms Museum looks like fun (well, the whole place does). I did some work at the Rock Island Arsenal once and toured their firearm museum, which went pretty much back to the beginning of the US Army. I believe they had some arms recovered from the Little Big Horn.
And I think I have the Cody book too. I was going to look later.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chestnut Vendor, New York, photo by Irving Penn, 1951
Omega-3, good for the brain.

View attachment 249045
I recently read that a group is bringing back the chestnut tree, having found a strain that is resistant to the fungus that wiped them out. They used to be all over this country and were a large source of income for farmers. I still have memories of one I always passed on my way to school. The chestnuts had a beautiful mahogany color.

I recently read that a group is bringing back the chestnut tree, having found a strain that is resistant to the fungus that wiped them out. They used to be all over this country and were a large source of income for farmers. I still have memories of one I always passed on my way to school. The chestnuts had a beautiful mahogany color.
Where I grew up the few remaining chestnut trees & a lot of the pecan trees were killed by a massive flood in 1993, when the river was out of its banks for several months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot