Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
index.php

Receiving a rehabilitation check. Dona Ana Co., N.M. (1936 Apr.)

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
1297429339475_ORIGINAL.jpg

This remarkable photo got me very excited when I saw it on the front page of the newspaper this morning. It's exciting because it depicts what maybe one of the very earliest drug seizures by Canada Customs. The drug being seized is opium, which was only made illegal by Canada's first drug law, the Opium Act.

The hats are interesting too :p

randooch

I'll Lock Up
G & T, what a great picture. The vests full of ??? are most interesting.

Ed, those hats are sporting some SERIOUS stains, and the wearers look like movie stars. Great stuff!

Vic, are those postcards? Fantastic. Bertha knows how to sit a horse. :)

Last edited:

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Vic, are those postcards? Fantastic. Blanch knows how to sit a horse. :)

I'm not sure if they are postcards...photo grabs that I have made from the net. Yes Bertha Blancett sat a horse a well as ANY person. The rodeo men feared her abilities so much that they separated the men and women's events to keep from having to compete against her.

Thunderball

One of the Regulars

During the summer, the Alabama sun can be brutal. Mr. Eldredge Malone has created a hat made of fresh leaves to block the rays as he performs his job at Redstone Arsenal - 1960s

Photo: Clifford Malone

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
G & T, what a great picture. The vests full of ??? are most interesting.

Those are packets of opium, as are the rectangular packages in the bottom of the kyak. Possibly one of the first ever major drug seizures in Canada, as opium was the first drug outlawed in Canada with the passing of the Opium Act.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy